Is MMA bigger than Boxing?

I just wanted to ask the question. I think there are only 2 real big cards in MMA and that is the UFC and the WEC. Everybody says MMA is overtaking boxing. When you look at it there is UFC 70-80-90-100 and so on and so on. Sure there selling out arena's and do good at pay per view. However what if boxing had just 1 or 2 major promotions. How popular would boxing be then? Who would be more popular if you only got to see a few fights a year in boxing. I was just wondering what yall thought of it? I love both sports but never heard anybody ask this question before. just my 2 cents

I don't know about your State, but in Georgia MMA wins out. Overall, more shows than Boxing. You can visit www.georgiaboxing.com

Probably a biased place to ask that question.

I am a lifelong boxing fan, but MMA is definitely bigger in Mass. I can ask Ani, who runs fight fax, how many fights there have been this year, and compare.

A lot of MMA is getting regulated by state commisions now and that is a good thing. It's what I been hoping for for years. I love both sports. I think there needs to be more bigger fight orgs to balance it out. I think elitexc folding up was a bad thing for the sport, I just think UFC has a monopoly on the high end of the sport. Is it good for the long run? IDK. It will be weird seeing UFC 212 after a while. I was just trying to compare the high end of both sports. If there was only 1 boxing company putting on boxing show after boxing show, Im sure they would get there numbers also just like the UFC. not dissing any org just wondering

No.

Boxing has been the better big event sport the past 2 years, before that MMA was better. Boxing has really turned around it's model very well the past few years and MMA has really done a poor job putting on big events. Look at the headlines for PPVs and even Spike cards, they are shit compared to a few years ago.

Anyone I knew who was into boxing has either fallen out of love with it or is now an MMA fan.

ecwcock, it's people like you that make MMA fans the greatest in the world. stay strong bro

I think MMA will really get bigger than boxing in the lower end of the sport because alot of states now regulate the sport. Gone are the bloodsuckers that used to promote and had no insurance and no contracts, ect, ect. the cream will rise to the top now. it will be a good day when all 50 states get a state commision in mma

be cool ecw, no sense on being a dick. i was just asking a question

bryanand - Boxing has been the better big event sport the past 2 years, before that MMA was better. Boxing has really turned around it's model very well the past few years and MMA has really done a poor job putting on big events. Look at the headlines for PPVs and even Spike cards, they are shit compared to a few years ago.

I agree 100%. Honestly Im losing alot of thrill that mma used to provide to me. Boxing's been on fire the last few years and closing strong again, with some big fights coming up. Its not like I miss any UFC's, I dont, as a matter of fact I was at the last one but it just lost some of its luster for ME. Just my opinion..

Boxing is bigger on a world-wide level. But I think MMA is more popular here in Ireland at the moment.

ECWCock -  I'm hardcore in a way that Sandman and Sabu would approve.

yeah man, you rock! you put people in their place!

I've covered boxing for ten years and MMA for 8.

Ask a bunch of people under 25 how many MMA guys they follow, and how many boxers they follow.

Your answer will be obvious.

Yup,teens are way more into MMA than boxing.Even 20 somethings in many countries.IMO boxing won't waste away til those middleagers die off, but in say 25 years it many cease to be altogether.

Bill Mahoney - Yup,teens are way more into MMA than boxing.Even 20 somethings in many countries.IMO boxing won't waste away til those middleagers die off, but in say 25 years it many cease to be altogether.

LOL! Yeah, because the best indicator of long-term success and viability for any form of entertainment is how much teenagers like it right now. ;)