Is MMA Still Light Years Away From The Olympics?

Opinion: Is MMA Still Light Years Away From Becoming An Olympic Sport?

of course.

Yes. Olympics shouldn't be a goal either.

MMA isn't a good fit for the Olympics.

The Olympics is where people compete against each other in the same thing. MMA is when people compete against each other using dissimilar things.

The closest thing to it would be if the Olympics had an "open style" fight category.

Also, the infrastructure isn't in place to build teams representing all the various nations of the world.

Also, I think Olympics MMA would be very different. It would include headgear, shin and foot pads and prohibit elbows. The Olympics wouldn't allow any that would lead to easy bloodshed.

I don't foresee it happening at anytime in the next 50 years.

Maybe in 50 years.  That's about as long as it will take for all the old folks to die off.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised. Look at the criteria for acceptance of a new sport into the Olympics. One of the first ones is that there has to be a sufficiently high number of countries with a recognized national body that holds national champions, a recognized world body that hold world championships, and there must be a sufficiently high number of countries competing in the world championships. I do not see that happening at any time in the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

meh i dont understand why everyone is all abou thaving mma and bjj in the olympics

dont ppl realize that if they do become olympic sports how watered down and open for corruption they would become...ppl are alway bitching about the ibjjf, jsut imagine if the ioc had their hands in this...

no olympics for bjj or mma get over it!!!

I am assuming by your SN that you are old, so, being that you've seen 50 years of Olympics I would say you're in a better position to judge than I am.

UGCTT_Suess -  a light-year is a measure of distance, not time :P

www.kirrilywhatman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/speed.png Phone Post

FlyingKnee_bar - meh i dont understand why everyone is all abou thaving mma and bjj in the olympics

dont ppl realize that if they do become olympic sports how watered down and open for corruption they would become...ppl are alway bitching about the ibjjf, jsut imagine if the ioc had their hands in this...

no olympics for bjj or mma get over it!!!

Why bjj? Just call it jiu jitsu? More history with japan. Isn't bjj just a style discipline under jiu jitsu? Phone Post

Cant even get fair shakes in title fights or any card. How the fuck would they judge at the Olympics? Phone Post

KZTT_FawkingxD - Why bjj? Just call it jiu jitsu? More history with japan. Isn't bjj just a style discipline under jiu jitsu?

No.

i wouldn't hold my breath. about the only criteria it holds is actually existing as a sport. it lacks a cohesive federation, doesn't have world rankings, doesn't have a dispersion of talent throughout the world, etc.

Give it about 20 or 30 years.

It's going to be a very long time but you never know. Maybe 10 years if we're lucky?

MMA does have an Internationally recognized governing body.  The International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) which governs Greco and Freestyle in the Olympics also governs MMA, Pankraton and something called Beach Wrestling.  

MMA's easiest road to the Olympics is not as a new 'sport', like Rugby Sevens in Rio 2016, but as a new 'discipline' of an existing sport, as in Kitesurfing a Sailing discipline, which is also new in Rio 2016.  Adding a new discipline in the the Olympics is a less formal process than adding a new sport.  MMA could be a third wrestling discipline along side Greco-Roman and Freestyle in the Olympics.

prefer submission grappling if anything

exactly how often would guys be fighting in an Olympic MMA tournament?

Combat Sambo would be awesome in the Olympics.

olympic judging + MMA = no thanks.