Is Oliveira the best sub guy in the UFC right now?

Is he? He never gets mentioned amongst Jacare, Werdum, Maia, Nelson but look at his record. One of them right now at worst id say. Probably the most aggressive sub hunter. He's the one guy like Aoki who is hunting for them even when he's standing....

I'd say Jacare, Maia, Werdum and maybe Mir are ahead of him Phone Post 3.0

Jacare subbed Marcelo, that in itself speaks volumes. Phone Post 3.0

He might not be the best overall grappler, but he might have the most dangerous guard in the UFC. Most of the guys you mentioned have a great top game and most of their subs come from having mount or backmount. But Oliveira throws up subs no matter where the fight is taking place. He also might have the most diverse sub game.

So far he has an armbar, RNC x2, calf slicer, anaconda x2, triangle and a guillotine. These are just his UFC fights.

He got subbed by Jim Miller tho so ... Phone Post 3.0

ohiowrasslin - He got subbed by Jim Miller tho so ... Phone Post 3.0

Miller is elite tho

ohiowrasslin - He got subbed by Jim Miller tho so ... Phone Post 3.0
What?! Jim Miller is a legit blackbelt Phone Post 3.0

xsrg95 - 
ohiowrasslin - He got subbed by Jim Miller tho so ... Phone Post 3.0

Miller is elite tho

Yeah, that was 5 years ago. Oliveira was like 20 years old fighting a top 5 LW his 3rd fight in the UFC. He was also a bit cocky in that fight, he didn't even try to escape the kneebar because he figured he was safe and just decided to punch until Miller cranked it and forced the tap.

zebers3 - 

He might not be the best overall grappler, but he might have the most dangerous guard in the UFC. Most of the guys you mentioned have a great top game and most of their subs come from having mount or backmount. But Oliveira throws up subs no matter where the fight is taking place. He also might have the most diverse sub game.

So far he has an armbar, RNC x2, calf slicer, anaconda x2, triangle and a guillotine. These are just his UFC fights.

Exactly my opinion. He's not the best pure grappler at all, but I would consider him the most exciting grappler in the UFC.

He's always balls-to-the-wall looking for subs.

Dana White said it was RR so I will go with that.

He's definitely one of the best and most aggressive and hunting going for them. Phone Post 3.0

Maybe at 145, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Phone Post 3.0

jasperb - Jacare subbed Marcelo, that in itself speaks volumes. Phone Post 3.0

As usu, we're talking MMA. Esp recently, Maia for example has 1 sub in his last 6. I love Maia, dont get me wrong but check this:

In Oliveira's 8 UFC wins, 7 are by sub.

In his current 4 fight win streak, he has 3 subs out of 4 wins including Lentz and Hioki. The durable wrestlers arent often subbed in MMA esp without getting rocked first. Hioki, although a bust in the UFC is still a first rate MMA BJJ guy and had never been tapped before.

He has also had some innovative, not really seen before ones like the anaconda guillotine on Hioki. That fight was also a great MMA BJJ match with both guys exchanging positions. Also that reverse calf slicer.

As mentioned too, he is probably the most aggressive sub guy right now in the game next to Paul Harris maybe. The unique factor is Oliveira's front headlock/facing chokes that he latches on from standing in the clinch. Nearly every clinch he is hunting for a sub. Who else can we say that about in the game right now?

Btw, Mir's had some historical sub HLs for sure but as of late, cmon...

DWray - 
zebers3 - 

Exactly my opinion. He's not the best pure grappler at all, but I would consider him the most exciting grappler in the UFC.

He's always balls-to-the-wall looking for subs.

What i was thinking. He's not the most rounded MMA grappler, ie, his wrestling aint all that as a tall lanky guy but like the Diaz bros, the Nogs, Anderson, Miguel Torres body types and styles before him, he really makes use of his reach (which is interestingly the same as Connor's and which is HUGE at FW although Connor uses it for striking, Oliveira for subs).

But like Aoki, no matter what position, he is ultra aggressive in hunting for something.

I was there when he pulled that calf slicer off in Chicago. I completely marked out at how slick it was.

Calf slicer is early in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrAJS3k9Nyw

Here's the Lentz fight which was another great grapplign display like the Hioki fight by both. This one was a classic wrestler vs BJJer though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf341bhSYQA

Oliveira with 7 sub victories in UFC -tied for 4th behind Royce Gracie, Frank Mir, and Nate Diaz.

Oliveira is one of two fighters in UFC history to start his career by winning with six different submissions

Oliveira only fighter to win a fight with calf slicer (Oliveira knee craker)

Wade5000 - Oliveira with 7 sub victories in UFC -tied for 4th behind Royce Gracie, Frank Mir, and Nate Diaz.

Oliveira is one of two fighters in UFC history to start his career by winning with six different submissions

Oliveira only fighter to win a fight with calf slicer (Oliveira knee craker)

True. But if you look at the level of fighters he took out and compare them to say the level of Frank's competition, it's not even close. Phone Post 3.0

Animal Mother -
ohiowrasslin - He got subbed by Jim Miller tho so ... Phone Post 3.0
What?! Jim Miller is a legit blackbelt Phone Post 3.0
Mir, Werdum, Maia, Jacare and all of those top tier guys don't get submitted by someone of Jim Millers level.

Jim is great, but Olivera just seems very aggressive with his submissions and crafty but also leaves openings. What puts him among those other guys?

Love watching everyone I mentioned fight though. Phone Post 3.0

If you wanna take that route, Mir is one of the most vulnerable guys on the ground as well. has not been tapped but TKOd countless times of course. Mir also is not really in the picture of best sub guys of the current picture. As mentioned Oliveira was like 20 years old then too.

Just because you got KOed when you were 20 doesnt mean you cant be considered one of the best strikers when youj are 25 and have a huge streak of technical KOs too yeah?