Is Rogan bigger than the late night shows?

Serious question.

Listened to a podcast where Rogan said he was a C level celebrity at best...but is that really true?

I think Hollywood doesn't understand the internet.  I think they live in their own bubble, detached from the rest of the world.

I know some of what I'm about to say may not be verifiable, but Rogan claims he gets like 30 million downloads a month.  Add to that YouTube views per month and you probably breach 35-40 million pretty easily ( e.g. the Peterson podcast last month currently sits at 2.6 million views). 

I believe all of late night on TV is getting like 8 million views per week total right now.  I'm trying to track down the exact stats...and that doesn't really speak to original views.

Sooo...yea is Rogan really c list, given the fact this is only a fraction of his endeavors? Or is it the fact that Hollywood itself is slowly slipping into b-level status itself, and really doesn't understand that the internet is now a bigger deal than it is?

He's a C because he's not that famous for his acting. Add to the fact that he's not really that good of a comedian and reached the lime light through fear factor which is now forgotten, yeah i can see why he's rated that way.

35 million viewers is top of the food chain redonkulus!

Isaac298 - He's a C because he's not that famous for his acting. Add to the fact that he's not really that good of a comedian and reached the lime light through fear factor which is now forgotten, yeah i can see why he's rated that way.

Don't forget the UFC helping his fame along.

PatK - 
Isaac298 - He's a C because he's not that famous for his acting. Add to the fact that he's not really that good of a comedian and reached the lime light through fear factor which is now forgotten, yeah i can see why he's rated that way.

Don't forget the UFC helping his fame along.

I forgot because the UFC is forgotten

By numbers, he's technically a bigger draw. He mentioned this topic last year with a guest. They talked about how the podcast has more views then major TV shows, etc.

He might not get A List coverage in the mainstream media, but he's knows a lot of people in Hollywood and just built that compound. It's pretty amazing to see him juggling UFC commentating, the podcasts, MMA podcasts and touring the country with comedy.

Everybody has heard of him for the most part. Doesn't he make like $60k a podcast?

We did this thread not too long ago fwiw.

It's not that hard to figure out the order of magnitude of a show's budget by looking at who is sponsoring. Is it large corporations (big oil, big pharma, big food, etc.), the usual suspects (Stamps, Zip Recruiter, Audible, etc.), or the host's personal investments? Hollywood might be blind but advertisers aren't.

Seinfeld is spending $100K per episode & he's doing that with sponsorship from major automotive manufacturers, not Adam & Eve or Nootropics.com. When people start cutting Superbowl-grade ads for Joe, we'll know he's getting Superbowl-grade money.

YouTube is more straightforward; roughly 50 cents per thousand views; used to be a dollar. JRE currently has 574 million views, so that's somewhere between a quarter & half a million $ over 5 years. That's $60-115K per year, or $250-500/episode. Just order of magnitude thinking here; he may have negotiated a better deal with YouTube due to scale.

He's one of the most influential people going

toelocku - He's one of the most influential people going

He's influenced thousands of kids to smoke weed.

472CKL - O his best day he is D List in LA/NYC right up there with C. Thomas Howell.

The Soul Man himself! 

BarkLikeADog - We did this thread not too long ago fwiw.

It's not that hard to figure out the order of magnitude of a show's budget by looking at who is sponsoring. Is it large corporations (big oil, big pharma, big food, etc.), the usual suspects (Stamps, Zip Recruiter, Audible, etc.), or the host's personal investments? Hollywood might be blind but advertisers aren't.

Seinfeld is spending $100K per episode & he's doing that with sponsorship from major automotive manufacturers, not Adam & Eve or Nootropics.com. When people start cutting Superbowl-grade ads for Joe, we'll know he's getting Superbowl-grade money.

YouTube is more straightforward; roughly 50 cents per thousand views; used to be a dollar. JRE currently has 574 million views, so that's somewhere between a quarter & half a million $ over 5 years. That's $60-115K per year, or $250-500/episode. Just order of magnitude thinking here; he may have negotiated a better deal with YouTube due to scale.

Are YouTube rates really that low??  Seems hard to believe that someone bringing in half a BILLION views has only earned $250k.

I saw other claims where people calculated that he was making $50,000,000+ per year from youtube

Trifive -
Isaac298 - He's a C because he's not that famous for his acting. Add to the fact that he's not really that good of a comedian and reached the lime light through fear factor which is now forgotten, yeah i can see why he's rated that way.

Bullseye.   I’d say he’s even a D level celebrity 

Ok but what difference does that make?

My point is he is more influential and more well known than 75% of Hollywood.  Are the late night shows the same?  Personally I never though Carson, Leno, or certainly any of the current late night hosts had any kind of significant acting or comedic value...yet are we gonna call of of them d-listers?

Rogan has more reach than any of the current batch, and maybe combined.

"Once in a lifetime podcaster"

turducken -
BarkLikeADog - We did this thread not too long ago fwiw.

Are YouTube rates really that low??  Seems hard to believe that someone bringing in half a BILLION views has only earned $250k.

I saw other claims where people calculated that he was making $50,000,000+ per year from youtube

That rate is way lower than I’ve heard other YouTubers mention. Don’t think it is correct. 

NOBODY is making $50 million/year from youtube. Pewdepie (or however you spell his name) I think made something like either $4-7 million, but that wasn't at all just from youtube ad share.

One thing to consider when comparing JRE views/downloads with late night shows is that the TV shows are getting those views on only their latest daily content. On the other hand, JRE's entire library is fully available all the time.

5 people watching Fallon tonight is different than someone catching up on 5 of Joe's MMA recaps from the last 3 months.

Not saying one or the other is "better" - just that it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

I don't think anybody is making that from YouTube either.  Maybe a few million...that being said for most big Youtubers, adshare is only a part of their income.

Also as far as ad money goes, you could still have (and do have) up to date ads.  The endorsements are a bit different but still...

Bigger or less than doesn't matter as he's already got fuck you money, anything from here out is just racking up a high score vs. providing more life flexibility

OJTT_Wiggy - NOBODY is making $50 million/year from youtube. Pewdepie (or however you spell his name) I think made something like either $4-7 million, but that wasn't at all just from youtube ad share.

One thing to consider when comparing JRE views/downloads with late night shows is that the TV shows are getting those views on only their latest daily content. On the other hand, JRE's entire library is fully available all the time.

5 people watching Fallon tonight is different than someone catching up on 5 of Joe's MMA recaps from the last 3 months.

Not saying one or the other is "better" - just that it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

correct.

LOL@ Joe is bigger than 75% of Hollywood.

Leghound -

Bigger or less than doesn't matter as he's already got fuck you money, anything from here out is just racking up a high score vs. providing more life flexibility

He has enough money to back away from commitments he doesnt like, but he will take any deal that makes him cash dont get it twisted.

He will sell you a plastic vagina, he will tell you other coffees have some weird shit so you start buying his. He will sell you bitcoin related apps even though he himself has refused live on his own show to have that stuff in his phone.