Is Rory best WW in the world now, and is this...

Bellator’s chance to tell everyone about it?  I feel like in the past, Bellator has been far more respectful of the UFC than the UFC has been of them, and have listened to many cringeworthy gaffes over the last year on Bellator’s broadcasts (Jimmy Smith: “After unsuccessfully challenging for the UFC strawweight championship, Valerie LeTourneu is looking to reboot her career here in the Bellator cage) and now I finally think they can legitimately lay claim to having a real #1 fighter.

With several wins over well-known UFC luminaries like Nate Diaz, Demian Maia, and a dominating decision win over current champ Woodley (albeit 3+ years ago at this point), I feel that if one wishes to employ MMA math, it’s not out of the question to say that Rory has legit claim to being the true number 1.  I personally feel that Bellator should refer to Woodley as a welterweight “titleholder”, and not shy away from reminding people about their new champion’s history in the sport.

This isn’t even really a matter of being overtly aggressive toward the UFC, but it is a (thus far) rare opportunity to stake legitimate claim in the industry that is backed by historical fact and something that could help bring some real credibility to Bellator’s portfolio.  IMO, I think it’s something to consider.  And who knows, if a war of words comes up, maybe Coker would offer UFC an invitation to send their best WW for a chance to challenge for the “real” 170 belt (which we know UFC would never go for).  They’re bringing in a lot of good talent and perhaps it’s time that they get a little more insistent on drawing their line in the sand instead of just deferring to the UFC all the time.

What makes him better than Lawler or Thompson?

Honestly, I could see Rory MacDonald doing the same thing today that he did to Woodley 3 years ago. I like Woodley, but he hasn’t shown many changes to his game since that fight.

forrestfan - What makes him better than Lawler or Thompson?

Well, depending on how you frame it, you could argue the fact the he beat the guy who beat both of them.

I don’t know, I’m not necessarily an MMA math guy, myself, but a case could be made on this one, a I suppose.

WaltJ - 

Well, depending on how you frame it, you could argue the fact the he beat the guy who beat both of them.

I don’t know, I’m not necessarily an MMA math guy, myself, but a case could be made on this one, a I suppose.

but they both actually beat Rory more recently.

I watched Bellator last night vs the UFC.  I get that Mike Goldberg was with the UFC for a lot of years, but I don't think they should even mention the UFC on Bellator broadcasts.  Goldberg mentioned it a few times that I heard, and I thought it sounded minor league.  UFC never mentions Bellator on any broadcasts and I think that should go both ways.  As long as Dana White is around, it won't be like boxing where boxing is the sport, and titles like WBA and WBC etc champions are discussed.  It's like WWE and WCW where you're not going to watch a WWE event and hear them talking about somebody from WCW or whatever.

forrestfan -
WaltJ - 

but they both actually beat Rory more recently.

Correct, which is the issue with math.  It’s very circuitous.

64FordF100 -

I watched Bellator last night vs the UFC.  I get that Mike Goldberg was with the UFC for a lot of years, but I don't think they should even mention the UFC on Bellator broadcasts.  Goldberg mentioned it a few times that I heard, and I thought it sounded minor league.  UFC never mentions Bellator on any broadcasts and I think that should go both ways.  As long as Dana White is around, it won't be like boxing where boxing is the sport, and titles like WBA and WBC etc champions are discussed.  It's like WWE and WCW where you're not going to watch a WWE event and hear them talking about somebody from WCW or whatever.

Agree 100%.  It kills me when they mention the UFC, and how these guys were former contenders or fighters or whatever.....you’d might as well just tell the viewers you’re second rate and that the UFC is better.

64FordF100 -

I don't think it was that bad, most of what I heard was he was talking about the fighters records from the ufc. I think he was just letting bellator casuals know about the new fighters and and how good they were in past fights. If he said something I didn't catch though I understand ya.
64FordF100 -

It’s a sport you moron, not a soap opera.

Why can’t you be happy Bellator treats it as such? Are they supposed to ignore fighters’ past accomplishments out of stupid Dana marketing pettiness?

An Old Shoe - 
64FordF100 -

I don't think it was that bad, most of what I heard was he was talking about the fighters records from the ufc. I think he was just letting bellator casuals know about the new fighters and and how good they were in past fights. If he said something I didn't catch though I understand ya.

I see what you're saying, I guess my issue is that one of the criticisms of Bellator is that they get the fighters who have been released from UFC or are past their prime.  If they mention that stuff on a broadcast, it just kind of reaffirms that in a person's mind if that's what their opinion of Bellator already is.  Goldberg didn't go overboard with it, he just started talking about Rory vs Lawler in the UFC and I was kind of like "why are you talking about that?"  It's taken some time and they have made some mistakes along the way, but I think they have learned from it and are going the right direction. I just don't think they need to mention the UFC to make Bellator sound more legitimate at this point.

Steven McTowelie - 
64FordF100 -

It’s a sport you moron, not a soap opera.

Why can’t you be happy Bellator treats it as such? Are they supposed to ignore fighters’ past accomplishments out of stupid Dana marketing pettiness?

Bellator treats it like a sport, UFC treats it like pro wrestling.  

It’s one thing if they bring up a fighter’s past exploits to add context to who they are, but to say stuff like “she’s coming here to reboot her career” cannot be interpreted any other way by any rationally thinking person other than “she clearly wasn’t good enough to cut it there, which is why she had to leave and come here.”

Commentators (UFC’s included) need to be cognizant of the words that are coming out of their mouths and they effect they can have.

Gutsy performance by Rory but even if I was bellator I'd be hard pressed to call him the best at anything when he's lumped up and has to be carried from the cage while Lima fought the same 25 minutes and is no worse for wear. 

You can only (try to) use MMA Math when you don’t have actual head to head results, especially when they are more recent.

Bellator: “Rory is the best WW in the world, he won a decision over Tyron in 2014.”

UFC: https://media.giphy.com/media/cg653gu0N2Q6Y/giphy.gif

Just fucking stop already - he’s not the best.  You fucking Canadians try this shit every 3 months...

The best WW in the world is GSP.

Also, there is no reason to think Askren v. Lima doesn’t look the same now as it did when it happened. And that’s not a critique of Lima.

No offense, but who are Lima’s big wins? Just being champ in Bellator doesn’t mean he has the same resume as other WWs.

^^Daley, Hawn, Saunders, Koreshkov, and most importantly, Larkin. He earned his top five ranking.

With Woodley as champ in the UFC, that makes Rory the best WW in the world right now.