Is Royce really a MMA fighter?

This is not a troll.
When the Gracie family started the UFC the term MMA was non-existant. It was a meeting of styles, with them representing BJJ. Then as the years went by and the fighters progressed it seems to me that the Gracies were left behind. They refused to evolve as fighters staying strictly with the BJJ discipline.
They never became MMA fighters.
Any truth to this?

not really no

It also seems that Ken Shamrock was one of the first to really show MMA skills, having decent wrestling, stand-up and a limited knowledge of BJJ.

Royce was a no time limit NHB fighter, not an MMA fighter. Different "sports".

NHB evolving into MMA is like Kentucky Fried Chicken evolving into KFC. The objective is to sound-out the bad part. Its technically the same shit and requires the same skills. Royce was great for his time but like they say, champions rise and champions fall. That said, he would still be very competitive for many fighters in today's arena (just ask Yoshida), so i'd say overall he is good in what he does.

ken either tried out or was about to try out for the olympics; so, he was pretty decent. And while he does have limited knowledge of bjj now, most of his grappling comes from studying shootwrestling.

Wrong...NHB and MMA are different. It was NHB before the NSAC got a hold of it. NHB was a fight. MMA while still being a fight is more of a "sport" I love Royce but the times have passed him by. And bringin up the Yoshida fight is dumb as hell. The last legit fight he had Hughes smashed him.

the gracies are gjj fighters. Vale tudo training was/is a component of gjj, just like self defense.

Would you say Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman aren't MMA fighters too?

"I give him props to be able to hang with Yoshida is no small feat."

Hang? As in wrapping a noose around his head? Cos I agree with that.

I thought royce has been training in kickboxing??

it seems like in an era of mixed martial artists... the Gracies are still trying to prove Gracie JJ is the cure all for fighting... IMO renzo seems to be the only one who's effectively broadened his horizons

I guess there is a difference between training in MMA and fighting in MMA organizations.

rustypenny obviously didnt know that the japan open 95 which came after 94' didnt have anything to do with Pride...KRS wasnt born yet LOL!

"Wrong...NHB and MMA are different. It was NHB before the NSAC got a hold of it. NHB was a fight. MMA while still being a fight is more of a "sport" I love Royce but the times have passed him by. And bringin up the Yoshida fight is dumb as hell. The last legit fight he had Hughes smashed him."

From your explanation, many fights and fighters then should not be considered part of MMA since the NSAC is really a recent thing. In addition, im sure Pride and many other organization had nothing to do with the NSAC for a long time. And lol at NHB only being a fight and MMA being a sport. You make it sound like all it takes to win the early UFCs is the ability to brawl. And LOL at you thinking that bringing up Yoshida is as dumb as hell! He went the distance with Silva twice, and had countless wars with other top calibers. You think Hughes can survive Silva twice or even hang with Yoshida? Please, he would get smoked by both of them

Bottomline, Royce is an NHB / MMA champion that is past his prime. Show respect

A person's fighting style plays a large part of his success in the sport. Royce's wait for the opponent to make a mistake style, is not compatible with today's 3x5 minute rounds and fast stand-ups. (That combined with the fact that today's MMA fghters are 1000x the athletes in Royce era leads him to have little chance for success.)

This is not disimiliar to Saku's turtle based submission game. Once Pride 13 came along Saku's dominance came to an end.

"From your explanation, many fights and fighters then should not be considered part of MMA since the NSAC is really a recent thing. In addition, im sure Pride and many other organization had nothing to do with the NSAC for a long time. And lol at NHB only being a fight and MMA being a sport. You make it sound like all it takes to win the early UFCs is the ability to brawl. And LOL at you thinking that bringing up Yoshida is as dumb as hell! He went the distance with Silva twice, and had countless wars with other top calibers. You think Hughes can survive Silva twice or even hang with Yoshida? Please, he would get smoked by both of them"

I did not say they were not a part of MMA read my post jackass. I did not say NHB was only a fight, but MMA is a combat sport yes its a fight but regulated with many rules. True NHB/vale tudo means No fishhooking or small joint minipulation, and of course eye gouging. Thats NHB. MMA is still a sport ,trust me I know a little about it and its a "sport"

Tell me again when were those fights?? yea a long time ago and yea if rulon gardner can hang so can Hughes. Yoshida is a ground guy with horrible striking let see so is Royce. Royce got choked out. Or we see Sak who tapped all the gracies.

Dont talk to me of respect i love Royce and respect him but this dont mean he didnt get past by. Hell Royce BJJ was not even the best. You should know your history

TTT

Just to clarify, my response was to Cleopatra.

In case anyone is wondering I do consider Royce to be an MMA and NHB fighter. He fought under no/limited rules in 16 man tournaments and against challengers at the gym.

ttt