Is Saffron a Scam?

The Tumeric lobby is strong! Lol

scam? no

worth the price? no

It is a difficult thing to harvest, mind you the folks harvesting it make piss all in poor countries.

Making Paella is the only time I use it

1 Like

This shit can’t be any more expensive than beef jerky!

2 Likes

Smart man

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s used in Paella which I’ve had several times. A friend of mine is a chef and made Paella at my lake house once. It was delicious. Other than that I’m not sure what other dishes it’s traditionally in.

2 Likes

Bastard

Awesome

I like making jambalaya using a paella pan too…those crispy edges are the bees knees

Hope all is well on the island my friend

2 Likes

Waiting for Zned to tell us about how you need saffron that only grows near a certain river in Morocco

4 Likes

nice pics

I cook quite a bit with saffron.

Like any spice, if you don’t use it within a few months it loses its aromas and flavor.

It does much more than color rice. Also, to get the full flavor and effect you have to steep it.

I like to use it in paella and fideua.

There is also a traditional pasta from Sardinia called Malloredus which are safari infused and delicious.

The most expensive thing is funny because while it isn’t cheap, they are referring to price per pound. You could fill a shed with a pound of saffron.

Vanilla bean will cost you much more for enough for more than one recipe.

2 Likes

LOL

1 Like

On my pasta thread I have a bunch of pastas infused with saffron.

I also goes well with gnocchi, gnocchi in saffron butter goes great with roasted chicken or pork.

Good call!

When I cook my paella I do it over wood on the grill, it comes out ridiculous. If you have a weber or a charcoal grill and do it over wood or briquets you get an amazing “socarrat”.

Socarrat is the term for the crust on the bottom and crispy edges.

2 Likes

I know you guys think I am a Niles/Frasier Crane type, but I’m really not.

I just like nice things and am full of useless information.

4 Likes

Lol I love you

3 Likes

I don’t usually use saffron when I cook

Unless I’m making Paella