Is the armbar from mount...

mideastgrappler - forget the mounted armbar. because this technique allows you to keep your weight on the guy better

http://youtu.be/4a0c09WDhhY

Ha. Was thinking of this exact video.

Saw it on the other thread about this awesome new black belt master technician

Barestare - what you described with Rickson V. Funaki IS the gift wrap, just to clarify.

Setree - 
hedgefunder - 
rnaviaux - I agree with this idea somewhat, which is why I far prefer Americana from mount. Stay on top the whole time.
Good luck with Americana on anyone close to your size that's any good. You leave opponents centerline to do this and it's just not very hard for him to bridge, pressure with his free arm and disrupt the position. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck defending the Americana on anyone close to your size that's any good. They leave their hips mobile over your centerline and it's just not very hard for him to stop your bridge and pressure with your free arm.

All moves have counters; we probably shouldn't bother doing ANY of them.

Good point Hedge.

I prefer Americana from side control for that reason.

No move is ideal all the time. I like the American because I can bail on it mid way through it and have a decent chance of maintaining mount.

If my timing is off on the straight armlock from the mount I might end up on the bottom of guard.

If this was for real I would prefer to stay on top in case I wanted to leave the scene so to speak. Plus staying on top gives me a better chance of tiring the guy out which I personally think is a far superior "submission" technique.

Christophr -
GongandDash - The stupidest move in grappling?! 'Oh hey guy on bottom I'm bored of crushing you to death and fantasising about how I would be punching you in the face if it were MMA. here let me take my weight off you and give you room to move.' I bet Marcelo already ditched it from his repertoire. Phone Post 3.0

I take it you're new to this "jiu jitsu" thing.
Lol Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post

awright9269 -
Christophr -
GongandDash - The stupidest move in grappling?! 'Oh hey guy on bottom I'm bored of crushing you to death and fantasising about how I would be punching you in the face if it were MMA. here let me take my weight off you and give you room to move.' I bet Marcelo already ditched it from his repertoire. Phone Post 3.0

Lol Phone Post 3.0
As someone who's been on the mats for 1000s of hours my opinion is valid. Ever watched higher belts sit under mount and wait for lower belts to try the armbar so they can escape? Phone Post 3.0

GongandDash - 
awright9269 -
Christophr -

Lol Phone Post 3.0
As someone who's been on the mats for 1000s of hours my opinion is valid. Ever watched higher belts sit under mount and wait for lower belts to try the armbar so they can escape? Phone Post 3.0

That just means armbar from mount is difficult for whitebelts to master. So are many worthwhile techniques. Personally after failing miserably a few dozen times I now get the subs pretty frequently, usually without giving up the mount. And usually when I'm reversed I get the triangle anyway

lam - Barestare - what you described with Rickson V. Funaki IS the gift wrap, just to clarify.
Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

Armbar from mount is my #1 submission.

I do not take the weight off of his chest. In fact, I usually create the opening by driving all the weight onto ONE of my sit bones, right on top of his floating rib.  It seems to *inspire* him to make his arm available.

Yes, I have chains of follow ups if he bridges my weight off of him, but my preference is always to finish while he carries ALL of my weight.  On his one rib.  All of it.  

IF you flop back with no control then it gives an escape but if you keep your weight on them it works maybe your armbar from mount is just shit

This is hillarious to me. Ive almost never seen anything like this on the internet. Literally everyone agrees except for the op.

GongandDash - 
awright9269 -
Christophr -

Lol Phone Post 3.0

Sure, but you can't judge an entire technique by how it works vs. someone of a higher skill level

Early advice I was given by a GREAT judoka with outstanding ground game (nothing too ground-breaking here for all you veterans of course) was: "never give a up pin (control in BJJ) for a choke, never give up a choke for an arm-lock". The logic of course was the farther you move away from the opponents head and shoulders, the more position you sacrifice loosing if your submission attempt fails. So yes, anytime you even slightly disengage your weight for a split second to hit the jackpot you may be throwing everything away if he has great timing and escape technique. Safer to choke, but more exciting to arm-lock maybe?

I tend to agree, but like others have said, doing the armbar properly should involve less risk. Still more risk than staying in the mount, though.

Another argument would be that going for a joint lock is always inferior to going for a choke. I would rather stay in mount and finish the kata gatame, cross choke or Ezekiel.

GongandDash - 
awright9269 -
Christophr -

Lol Phone Post 3.0

"On the mats for 1000s of hours" and you've never been crushed by the weight of an upper belt armbarring you from the mount? I call shenanigans on that claim.

The Ghost Of Swayze -
GongandDash - 
awright9269 -
Christophr -

Lol Phone Post 3.0

"On the mats for 1000s of hours" and you've never been crushed by the weight of an upper belt armbarring you from the mount? I call shenanigans on that claim.
I've also seen more failed armbars from mount than any other submission. Fail rate goes up when the stakes are higher - mma, competition etc. Phone Post 3.0

OP you are clearly talking about lower level guys, because watching purples and above go for armbars from mount, its usually the beginning of the end, plus... I go back to mount from that position all the time when I decided I cant finish etc.

And if you wanna know the submission people flail at and lose top position the most, its the guillotine, and its not even close, especially arm in.

You are right, blue and below people botch tons of armbars from mount, but they also botch collar chokes probably even more and get rolled.

One analogy that comes to mind is the one where your only tool is a hammer. What was going on beforehand that served as the green light for an armbar versus another submission? Often I think, what's the green light that it's even time for a sub, versus an incremental improvement in position?

The high level guys I've rolled with, it just feels like a straight jacket from the beginning and the sub is just the lack buckle being cinched.

I'm actually kinda curious what the OP's take is on the worst punch in boxing. --Left hook...? Right cross...?

I guess they're both so stupid it's probably hard to decide.

shen -

I'm actually kinda curious what the OP's take is on the worst punch in boxing. --Left hook...? Right cross...?

I guess they're both so stupid it's probably hard to decide.

Its not a great comparison. Armbar from mount is relatively big, risky movement when there are a number of safer ways to finish. For example, the mounted guillotine, mounted triangle/armbar, collar choke. There's no harm in challenging perceived wisdom, right? Phone Post 3.0