Is the Future Grim

Am I being a lame doomsday'er. I have been thinking that the past few months has set for a grim future. Nothing is "felt" right now in that it doesn't really seem like anything is wrong. But, I am seeing that a third of America did not pay their mortgage recently. Small businesses are staying afloat but it seems like everything is being propped up artificially and giving off an impression that "everything will be okay" when in reality a whole host of businesses and unemployment are looming. The actual bloodbath hasn't even ended and the dust actually won't settle for possibly a year from now. I think that's when we will "feel" that things are bad.

Meanwhile, entire industries are about to be ravaged. Things like real estate and cars are currently having an "opposite effect" in that there is still a low supply so prices are still high and feels normal. I have some friends that are unconcerned, mainly because they have money, but it sucks living in a desperate society even if you have money (like a Venezuela) Homelessness and criminality is higher than usual and meanwhile, people actually want police to go away. I dunno, I hate to think all doomsday because it feels so fantastical, but I can't but feel hyper aware (or maybe it's just paranoia.)

We're going through changes but I don't think the average human is fucked. Are small businesses fucked, could be, could be, are some of our freedoms going to vanish, they could. 

It seems, the powers that be, beyond the elected officials have a clear idea for humanity and personal freedoms aren't really apart of that plan. 

I don't think i've been affected by this like most because I haven't been on stable ground for years and I have no family to protect but i'm not worried about it, whatever happens, happens. 

I think overall, with technology (less disease, adequate nutrition available to all, etc.) the world will be a better place in 100 years and people will learn a lot from what is happening right now although an authoritarian surveillance state (globe) is inevitable imo.

After this year, I definitely feel our way of life is much less stable. At the very least, people should be putting money aside for the bump in the road.

Are your other 35 posts per year of the "No shit, Sherlock" variety as well?

Yes, global pandemics are bad.

BarkLikeADog - 

Are your other 35 posts per year of the "No shit, Sherlock" variety as well?

Yes, global pandemics are bad.

I don't think this is the case for other first world nations. Everyone else will be affected if America collapses into a mild\moderate Venezuela style but they won't collapse themselves, at least not places like Germany or Japan. They will be hit with deep recessions but not bouts of civil unrest and disrupted supply chains of basic needs.

Time to move out of the country.

I call dibs on Barbados. 

Things have looked grim since about 2014 to me. Back then I was mostly pessimistic about what smartphones and social media were doing to people. Everything that is going on these days only further confirms that I need to make plans to move into a more rural area.

Somehow people aren't too worried about unemployment and evictions.

Phil Robertson says that there is no getting off Earth alive except with Jesus

1 Like

TheHound - 

We're going through changes but I don't think the average human is fucked. Are small businesses fucked, could be, could be, are some of our freedoms going to vanish, they could. 

It seems, the powers that be, beyond the elected officials have a clear idea for humanity and personal freedoms aren't really apart of that plan. 

I don't think i've been affected by this like most because I haven't been on stable ground for years and I have no family to protect but i'm not worried about it, whatever happens, happens. 

I think overall, with technology (less disease, adequate nutrition available to all, etc.) the world will be a better place in 100 years and people will learn a lot from what is happening right now although an authoritarian surveillance state (globe) is inevitable imo.

"although an authoritarian surveillance state (globe) is inevitable imo."

Hell no. Just hell mother fucking no.

Would far rather die fighting to remain free, than live in your authoritarian surveillance state.

As long as we have our Constitution we are okay. Think about that before you vote for any damn Democrat. If this were to occur, that is where it will have came from.