MMA Underground Forums

is the M1 company a leech?

of course i could be 100% off here, but it seems like these russian promoters see Fedor as their meal ticket and formed this company (yes i know fedor is part owner etc) to help promote and manage Fedor. 

All this running around wanting to co promote with everyone seems a bit leech like to me.  They just want to jump on the accomplishments that organizations like the ufc, strikeforce, etc not contribute anything other than one fighter (Fedor) and collect a lot of money in return. 

seems a little fishy to me. 

Every company is a leech.  Money is the blood they suck.  Isn't that what forming a company is about? 

You hit the nail right on the head. Without a doubt they are a leech. No question.

Fedor is M-1.  He has a significant stake in the company, and that's no secret.

Fedor may have 2-5 fights left.  Then his fighting career is over and he has sustain his life on something else.  There is no 401k in the fighting business.

If M-1 is successful he will continue to make money for showing up at events and working behind the scenes.

It's not a new thing to see athletes try to get a business venture going to plan for their retirement from competition.  In MMA, when you definitively CAN'T make big money after retiring, who can fault him for trying to grow his business interests? 

Crazy Zimmerman -  Every company is a leech.  Money is the blood they suck.  Isn't that what forming a company is about? 

this...

if you think about it the UFC is also a leech

more like a parasite

marcovia -  of course i could be 100% off here, but it seems like these russian promoters see Fedor as their meal ticket and formed this company (yes i know fedor is part owner etc) to help promote and manage Fedor. 

All this running around wanting to co promote with everyone seems a bit leech like to me.  They just want to jump on the accomplishments that organizations like the ufc, strikeforce, etc not contribute anything other than one fighter (Fedor) and collect a lot of money in return. 

seems a little fishy to me. 

Fedor does NOT own any part of M-1. If he remains in it for 5 years... he will get 20% of the company. Vadim and perhaps the mob are the primary owners of M-1. Fedor is getting used. Right now he has a 3 fight contract with them. I believe that after the 3 fights... he will join the UFC.

Bumpy Johnson - more like a parasite

Correct, and a lethal one at that. Ask Calvin Ayre and FLAF.

Fedor is also their financial backer so he has a lot invested in this as well

KrisDonahoo - 

Yes, because Fedor was CLEARLY BodogFight's major problem.

You do realize M-1 is a fighter promoter with their own roster of talent right? It isn't just a front to promote Fedor.

Having the option of putting top level M-1 fighters on their cards will be a plus for Strikeforce

smoogy....who are these top level m1 fighters?

KrisDonahoo - 

yeah finklestien pooped on calvin pretty bad too after he was done with him

20 percent of zero... awesome.

marcovia -  smoogy....who are these top level m1 fighters?

Off the top of my head...

Shane Del Rosario

Dave Jansen

Hacran Dias

Giva Santana

Fabio Negao

Rob Broughton

Eduardo Pamplona

Alexander Machado

Lucio Linhares

Hae Joon Yang

Ui Cheol Yam 

marcovia -  smoogy....who are these top level m1 fighters?

why don't you tell smoogy your thoughts on M-1 fighters, since you seem to know thoroughly about them.

After all, I doubt smoogy knows, he doesn't watch much MMA.

Hey its cool, I'm not surprised that many people really have no idea about M-1 Challenge because the "MMA media" offers no coverage of it at all. And many writers in the last week or so have ignorantly portrayed M-1 as nothing but a front for Fedor.

smoogy - 
Shane Del Rosario
Dave Jansen
Hacran Dias
Giva Santana
Fabio Negao
Rob Broughton
Eduardo Pamplona
Alexander Machado
Lucio Linhares
Hae Joon Yang
Ui Cheol Yam 

None of those bums were ever on TUF, how good could they be?

LOL!  Bravo sir.