Is the Remembrance Poppy Controversial?

A question to our UK OG'ers. I've always appreciated the red poppy as a symbol of remembrance of WWI and all the wasted lives in that conflict. But from what I understand, in the UK it's associated with current conflicts as well and has become somewhat controversial.

So, what's your opinion of it and of any controversy surrounding it? Phone Post

No

The poppy is the plant from which we get opium, which is refined into morphine, a drug EXTENSIVELY used to treat WWI soldiers suffering from pain due to wounds. Many of those soldiers returned home not only crippled from wounds AND "shell shocked," but addicted to morphine as well.

It's more ironic than controversial.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

I can't speak for the UK but there is absolutely no controversy regarding the poppy here in Canada.

Only among the idiots.

For most people it's not.

But there have been a few instances of poppies being burnt by anti war protesters, mainly Muslims.

This year there were a couple of attacks on poppy sellers, one 15 year old was attacked with a lit aerosol.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29870960 Phone Post 3.0

No controversy apart from a group of Muslims and lefties who now say it is cause it's another thing to bitch about to cause shit.

It's been a remembrance thing for a century or almost and now all of a sudden it's offensive to a minority group Phone Post 3.0

The only controversy in Canada is a certain group(s) trying to sell white poppies. I didn't hear anything about it this year, but it was a topic last year.

One of the Irish players in the EPL won't wear a poppy on his shirt with the rest of the team because he finds it insulting to his Irish heritage. Can't remember which player though and why it's offensive to the Irish. He used to play for Sunderland if I'm not mistaken. Phone Post 3.0

MolsonMuscles -

I can't speak for the UK but there is absolutely no controversy regarding the poppy here in Canada.

Fellow Canuck here. What MM said Phone Post 3.0

Evil Ash - One of the Irish players in the EPL won't wear a poppy on his shirt with the rest of the team because he finds it insulting to his Irish heritage. Can't remember which player though and why it's offensive to the Irish. He used to play for Sunderland if I'm not mistaken. Phone Post 3.0
Probably over the Bloody Sunday incident Phone Post 3.0

Boynamedsue -
Evil Ash - One of the Irish players in the EPL won't wear a poppy on his shirt with the rest of the team because he finds it insulting to his Irish heritage. Can't remember which player though and why it's offensive to the Irish. He used to play for Sunderland if I'm not mistaken. Phone Post 3.0
Yep, you're right. James McClean, now with Wigan. Phone Post 3.0

you hear the odd nut job here in Canada complaining about it, but 99.99% of people support the cause. Sadly 99.9% of people don't actually wear them.

Boynamedsue - 

Haha-yeah, probably just that one-off incident...nothing else :)

No. Google 'tower of London poppy' and see what's currently there. Phone Post 3.0

phydeau - In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields. Phone Post 3.0

Evil Ash -
Boynamedsue -
Yep, you're right. James McClean, now with Wigan. Phone Post 3.0
James is from the same town as me.. in the north of Ireland Poppys are very contensious and used as a tool of secterianism. I would never wear a poppy altough both my grandfathers fought for the British in WW2.
The reason is that it not only remembers the world wars but all other conflicts/wars involving the British.. including Ireland. Phone Post 3.0

phydeau - The poppy is the plant from which we get opium, which is refined into morphine, a drug EXTENSIVELY used to treat WWI soldiers suffering from pain due to wounds. Many of those soldiers returned home not only crippled from wounds AND "shell shocked," but addicted to morphine as well.

It's more ironic than controversial.

This isn't correct.  The poppy depicted for remembrance and the poppy that is used for morphine/opium/heroin are completely different plants.  They're both in the poppy family (i.e. same genus) but are a different species