Is there a BJJ competition Season???

I know that you can find competitions/tournaments year round, but is there a "season" where competitors mostly focus on comps?

I'm looking at this from a training/conditioning/competing standpoint.

Using football as an example: Season runs (roughly) August-November. During this time you practice sport specific skills and compete.

Pre-season starts in April-July. This is where hardcore strength and conditioning are done.

December-March is off season. You kind of heal up from a rough season.

Any input on this???

Chango

most of the big tournaments seem to be during the summer months

Pan ams in spring, mundials in summer, nationals in the fall, then it gets quiet

raleigh - Pan ams in spring, mundials in summer, nationals in the fall, then it gets quiet

Euros are in winter

well in southern CA at least. There are tournaments year round though.

I know that you can always find a tournament. BJJ gi/nogi, submission grappling, etc. The have them any and everywhere all year round.

I guess I'm trying to see how the guys that compete professionally/semi professionally cycle their training.

If they decide they want to pack on some muscle and have a really heavy S&C phase and only work on technique a little or whne they really are into competing phase and don't want to be over trained, etc.

Is this kind of making sense??

Chango

yeah, thats why i posted what i did, the big ones (IBJJF) seem to run spring-fall

Yeah. Thanks for that.

So most big time competitors would be off(working on their shortcomings) from probably November-March(=/-)??

That's what I was looking for.

Oh incidently, anyone no when the High School/college wrestling season runs??

Chango

I think wrestling is fall to spring.

As baroque pointed out there are events all year round (big ones), to me it seems the bigger IBJJF ones are the time period i said. take a look at their schedule

Jan to June. End of Jan is the Euros, March is the Pans, June is the Worlds. Most of the current top guys competed in at least 2 of those comps, if not all 3. Add in the World Pro as well, as most of the trials and the finals take place in that time period too.

James

Asked and answered. I've got a good idea about it now.

Thanks guys.

Chango

ChangoBravo - 

Oh incidently, anyone no when the High School/college wrestling season runs??

Chango
Folkstyle usually runs from November to March.  Freestyle/greco from march until early summer.