Is there a market for Wrestling classes for adult?

In the same way that Crossfit was responsible for a resurgent interest Olympic and power lifting, I see a lot of people inquiring about learning to wrestle as a result of their interest in BJJ or MMA.

There are plenty of post collegiate wrestlers out there with a lot of credentials, I would like to see someone create a course towards adults learning to wrestle as a form of fitness and martial art.

Lets be honest, the intensity level of the classes would be nothing like a high school or college wrestling practice. Mostly detailed technical instruction with some drilling and a couple rounds of live wrestling at the end, similar to a BJJ class.

I guess the trick would be getting people to stay interested without a belt system, but I'm sure someone with the right personality or marketing skills could make it happen. There are quite a few No-Gi BJJ schools doing well, also some Muay Thai places don't use rank either.

Just wondering if this is something that could ever happen and be enough to stand on its own?

In San Diego there is an adult wrestling club. No experience is necessary Phone Post 3.0

Most people, even BJJ and MMA guys have little interest in having their head snapped around and knees beat up while they are learning to efficiently execute leg shots.

If learning collegiate wrestling, most don't like having neck and shoulders cranked on either.

gxcva - In the same way that Crossfit was responsible for a resurgent interest Olympic and power lifting, I see a lot of people inquiring about learning to wrestle as a result of their interest in BJJ or MMA.

There are plenty of post collegiate wrestlers out there with a lot of credentials, I would like to see someone create a course towards adults learning to wrestle as a form of fitness and martial art.

Lets be honest, the intensity level of the classes would be nothing like a high school or college wrestling practice. Mostly detailed technical instruction with some drilling and a couple rounds of live wrestling at the end, similar to a BJJ class.

I guess the trick would be getting people to stay interested without a belt system, but I'm sure someone with the right personality or marketing skills could make it happen. There are quite a few No-Gi BJJ schools doing well, also some Muay Thai places don't use rank either.

Just wondering if this is something that could ever happen and be enough to stand on its own?

I've done bjj and nogi grappling. Always had this idea that wrestling is not technical etc. Went and saw some olympians practice. They even let me join the practice. Was mindblowing. Wrestling as self defense and base for MMA and nogi grappling competetion is without any doubt #1. When looking for wrestling clubs for adults, I quickly realised that there aren't any. The ones I visited were very nice and suggested I brought a beginner friend so and they could coach us while the elite guys were training.

I know wrestling has been around for ever. But I think that it is the future. BJJ has become degenerated. Grown men start sparring sitting. Why? Lack of space? I've been to wrestling clubs that were crowded, the coach just divided the group in two so on group could rest while the other sparred. 

So I think you are on to something. Just my two cents.

Just contacted my local wrestling club which has one class per week for adults.

I've trained there before when they had sub grappling classes and but now I want to train greco/freestyle. I've done BJJ for a few years.

I'm located in Europe. Phone Post 3.0

OGstudmuffin - In San Diego there is an adult wrestling club. No experience is necessary Phone Post 3.0
Just a heads up its in hillcrest so I'm sure there are some fabulous wrestlers there Phone Post 3.0

SidRon - Most large BJJ/MMA places have a wrestling instructor that supplements the schedule don't they? Phone Post 3.0

We've tried adding some takedown classes taught by some collegiate level wrestlers. The people that attended loved it, but overall the interest was surprisingly low. 

Im always picking the brains of the better wrestlers in the BJJ classes tho

I think there would be lots of interest, but very few actual adults would be willing to do what it takes to become a proficient wrestler.

"Some drilling and a little live wrestling" will never get you there.

There is a reason even younger youth wrestlers go 100% all the time every time. That is the only way to ever get there.

Much suffering will be had. Not many adults willing to go through this.

There is one in Sterling VA if anybody is in the DC/VA area. It took me about a year of emailing back and forth and all that with different clubs. The owner of Top of Podium found VA state champ and 5 year college wrestler to teach the class. Currently its just offered one day on Sunday @ 11. Its been going on for two months I'm currently the only student. I'm 39 have done judo, bjj, boxing and MT and like the poster above said it's the hardest thing I have ever done. Feels like body has gone to war for days after class. Its a legit true beginners class tho which is nice.

Just looked up some of my sons stats from when he was a beginning wrestler.
First year wrestling between folk, free and greco, he had a bit over 70 live matches. Not including 3-4 two hour practices per week. It still took him 3 years to be able to compete and do well against the better kids.
This was as a 10 year old kid.
I think very near to zero adults, without wrestling experience, would do this.
Not to mention that there are just about no opportunities to get live matches for an adult beginner. Matches against the same few teammates would not deliver the same results.

Sadly, if you are already an adult with no wrestling experience...you will never become even a moderately proficient wrestler.

I agree 100%. We just started twice a week this week and even that is a killer. No where near the level of anything that young wrestlers go through. At least in the DC area there are some tournys for old men like me. My grappling experience has helped me no doubt but will never reach a level that I am even moderatly proficient. That being said its a very fun and intense class. I wish we had more interest. I am sure the coach does as well as itys always me and him lol.

FrenkB - 

I agree 100%. We just started twice a week this week and even that is a killer. No where near the level of anything that young wrestlers go through. At least in the DC area there are some tournys for old men like me. My grappling experience has helped me no doubt but will never reach a level that I am even moderatly proficient. That being said its a very fun and intense class. I wish we had more interest. I am sure the coach does as well as itys always me and him lol.

Kudos to you for carrying on. Hope you get another member or two.
There are a few tournaments here for older guys as well, but only a very small fraction of what is available to the youth.

Also it would be no fun as a beginner to show up to one of these tournaments. There are no beginner groups, just weight classes. Not many competitors show up, but about 95% of those who do are ex-College wrestlers. The rest are ex higher level High School wrestlers.

Dryfly - 
FrenkB - 

<br />
<span class="User-149737" id="userPost61635374">Kudos to you for carrying on. Hope you get another member or two.<br />
There are a few tournaments here for older guys as well, but only a very small fraction of what is available to the youth.<br />
<br />
Also it would be no fun as a beginner to show up to one of these tournaments. There are no beginner groups, just weight classes. Not many competitors show up, but about 95% of those who do are ex-College wrestlers. The rest are ex higher level High School wrestlers.</span></blockquote>

I'm sure that its like that around here and I'm looking forward to getting squashed honestly. Kind of just a "for the experience" type thing. I will say the postives from this class is my motivation has gone through the roof. Whether I am running. or riding the airdyne bike, or hitting weights, I am for sure getting in the best shape I've been since my early 20's. And I am praying that it may be my only weapon to combat the expereinced guys with. The coach wants me to do one in a few months. So I will see how it goes. Plus now that I know the rules and stuff I am enjoying the heck out of college wrestling now.

FrenkB - 
Dryfly - 
FrenkB - 

<br />
<span class="User-149737" id="userPost61635374">Kudos to you for carrying on. Hope you get another member or two.<br />
There are a few tournaments here for older guys as well, but only a very small fraction of what is available to the youth.<br />
<br />
Also it would be no fun as a beginner to show up to one of these tournaments. There are no beginner groups, just weight classes. Not many competitors show up, but about 95% of those who do are ex-College wrestlers. The rest are ex higher level High School wrestlers.</span></blockquote>

I'm sure that its like that around here and I'm looking forward to getting squashed honestly. Kind of just a "for the experience" type thing. I will say the postives from this class is my motivation has gone through the roof. Whether I am running. or riding the airdyne bike, or hitting weights, I am for sure getting in the best shape I've been since my early 20's. And I am praying that it may be my only weapon to combat the expereinced guys with. The coach wants me to do one in a few months. So I will see how it goes. Plus now that I know the rules and stuff I am enjoying the heck out of college wrestling now.

Have fun with it.
It will be an experience for sure.
Starting from the bottom position with folk rules, against an ex college guy, will be an experience you wont soon forget even if you are an accomplished grappler....lol

Seriously much props to you.

Thanks dude. Def appericate it. We actually have another adult coming Sunday. I'll post video in this forum of my tourney just for the heck of it.

As a 36 year old BJJ guy, I fucking love wrestling, and wish I'd had an opportunity to do it younger, but it's damn tough to recover from. (this is where you call me a pussy)