Is this counter productive?

I don't have any fancy routine but I like to workout on a regular basis when I'm doing so.  I'll do a bunch of sets of pushup variations and ab work every other day.  On the days between I'll do sets of pullups/chinups and dips/tricep extensions.   Just a bit of body weight stuff with bodyweight squats thrown in there a few days as well.  I take one day off a week but read something the other day about muscles needing 48 hours to recover.  My question is, am I doing the same stuff too often and should I change my routine to only work certain muscle groups on certain days of the week? 

Thanks in advance.

It all depends on your goal(s), your needs, preferences, etc.

TAKU

Thanks, maybe I'll try the OG. :)

Floppy Divac -  Thanks, maybe I'll try the OG. :)

lol

I'm aware of all the awesome info on this subforum, but imo this is why people tend to ask these types of things on the UG/OG.

Floppy Divac -  I'm aware of all the awesome info on this subforum, but imo this is why people tend to ask these types of things on the UG/OG.

What is your specific goal? Hard to answer your question about lifting frequency if we don't know your goal. Plus the info you provided was vague. "A bunch of sets" = what? 500 pushups or 50?

Eel - 
Floppy Divac -  I'm aware of all the awesome info on this subforum, but imo this is why people tend to ask these types of things on the UG/OG.

What is your specific goal? Hard to answer your question about lifting frequency if we don't know your goal. Plus the info you provided was vague. "A bunch of sets" = what? 500 pushups or 50?

exactly. If OG provides you answers without asking for more details, is it really better?

Leigh - No, he'll get a load of random answers based on personal parameters and some clued in guys saying the same thing Taku did.

my point.

it's always the same here. Someone comes in here and doesn't provide any detail at all. Then when people ask him questions to be able to help him better, they get pissed that they can't get an answer right away

lol, sorry.  I'm a bit under the weather and don't have the energy to provide as much detail as is probably necessary.  I guess my main question would be is it counter productive to do exercises that share muscle groups without giving said muscles 48 hrs rest.  If my goals are necessary to answer that then I guess I need to figure those out.  I feel like I've hit a wall particularly with the pullups and chinups.  thanks

If you want to be a body builder, then yes, you need the rest. Of course you'll need to start hitting the iron at some point. A classic body part split would probably work best.

If you're trying to max a PT test and you're using a "Grease the Groove" program aka not to failure, then you don't need as much rest.

If you're trying to look like a body builder but you're only doing body weight lifts, then you're probably fooling yourself. Phone Post

Being healthy/somewhat physically fit and feeling/looking good are probably my goals.   I always go to failure when doing pullups/chinups.  I can't even do 10 of em so I figure do as many as I can everytime I'm doing them. lol

Just looked up some info on greasing the groove, sounds interesting.  I had been doing my exercises in a circuit once a day and the greasing the groove is clearly much different than that.  Thanks

"Being healthy/somewhat physically fit and feeling/looking good are probably my goals." With that said. Remember that diet and sleep will play an equal if not greater role than your exercise program. Make sure you're following a sound eating program. You know the drill. No binge drinking, junk food, heavily processed foods (breads, pastas, etc....). Most of your calories should come from meat, veggies, fruit and tubers.

What are tubers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber

Let me google that for you.

Thanks Eel! lol

Your body is designed to walk, run, swim, climb, hunt, forage, fight, and repair itself every day. Small workouts won't kill you, but pushing yourself to failure with every set on a daily basis will tire you out and effect your main workouts.

If you want to get better at something then focus on it for a while.

lol, I think I might be soaking some of this in.  So if I do the "greasing" on top of my regular workout, I should still do my regular workout but I should stop doing reps until failure all together? 

I don't think you can really over train with body weight exercises for the most part. You can wear out your joints but your muscles will recover fast enough to do it day to day. If you start adding weight to your body then yes you will need to rest more.