Is this counter productive?

I think you can get away with that. When i wanted to improve my BW numbers i chose 1 exercise (chin ups, press ups, etc) and did half my max 3 times over the course of the day, 5 days a week, and did my normal workouts on top. I didn't notice any drop in performance, and my max in my targeted exercise improved almost every week.

So should I test my max no more than once a week then?  thanks

"but I like to workout on a regular basis when I'm doing so"

ok, cool. If you have no specific goal beyond just staying active, keep doing what you're doing.

If you can keep doing some pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, and ab stuff on a regular basis as you get older, your body wont fall to pieces nearly as quickly and you'll stay happier and more active as an old dude (you will maintain the strength and mobility to move your body in this way as an older person).

Imo, this is an extremely worthy goal and one that is commonly neglected, even by people who were active/strong/competitive athletes in their youth. If this is approach (which is admittedly a little haphazard) keeps you active and moving 6 days a week, you are way ahead of most people.

And to push myself would have to be another goal.  Just keep trying to improve on certain things.