Is this meme correct regarding the bible?

Don't really know much about how the bible came to be, so is that meme accurate for the most part? Phone Post 3.0

I don't know if it's correct or not, but even if you just take the meaning behind it, "translated from old writings that were hard to read, and then edited year after year after year," does it really matter?

"The word of God," in all of its unintelligible, translated, and edited glory... Phone Post 3.0

"Lies"
-The Unquestioning Faithful

Any educated Christian (I know lol) doesn't adhere to the KJV translation. ESV is usually regarded as the closest possible to original txt. Phone Post 3.0

I saw this debunked really quickly, I'll try to find the source. But anytime you see something written and formatted like this, you know it's bullshit. Phone Post 3.0

I'll wait for the debunk of the critique of the fairy tale. Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler -
Don't really know much about how the bible came to be, so is that meme accurate for the most part? Phone Post 3.0
Completely false Phone Post 3.0

Dead Sea Scrolls Bro!!

and as far as your meme, that's false.

The point should be well taken, though. Constantine pick and chose what he wanted from a variety of sources written in Syriac, Coptic, Hebrew, Aramaic and other languages, compiled and translated into Greek, then destroyed as much original material as possible.

That's why discoveries like non-canonical gospels found at Dunhuang and other places are so important to understanding historical Jesus, and why the kinds of Christianity that traveled early to distant locations and weren't part of the Early Christian Councils and Christological debates are arguably closer to the OG teachings of Jesus.

An English translation of NT is gonna be stepped on many times and in ways that are difficult to retroactively understand, even for biblical scholars who can read those ancient languages.

I'm a religion teacher by training and my advisor for grad degree #1 is one of the top guys in the world for pre-modern and Late Antiquity Christian studies.

His Syriac is no joke. Phone Post 3.0

Ttt

Whether completely accurate or not, it's close enough. How anyone can study the history of the bible and continue believing it is baffling. Phone Post 3.0

Actually, according to respected scholars, the 'meme' is true in regard to the thousands of unique manuscripts available to scholars since before the 16th century. Keep in mind that, until the early 15th century, all 'books' (documents) were written and copied by hand. Obviously, copies produced manually are subject to errors, omissions, annotations, and sometimes deception due to vested interests of the scribe himself, or of his superiors. Believe it or not, these facts are common knowledge among priests, ministers, deacons, and clergyman of EVERY denomination (other than fundamentalists). They learned them when they attended seminary school.

I have no vested interest in this subject. I merely find it interesting that people don't trust logic and reason. However, if you really want to research the subject from an unbiased and open-minded perspective I recommend you start by reading Bart Erhman's books. Be sure to visit his site and read his mini-biography and curriculum vitae there first: http://www.bartdehrman.com/

Courage and Peace OG

Who cares? No one reads it anyway.

Nor sure about that late but if you look at history from back in the day, there were a lot of hybrid religions running around the arabian peninsula at the time of Muhammed. There were religions that incorporated Zoarastrianism with Christianity, Judaism and the pagan gods. These sects were mostly wiped out after Islam stole their beliefs and came to power... but you can look a Yazidi or other Kurdish religions and find some of the remnants.

At the first meeting of Nicea they voted for Roman Catholicism over Celtic Christianity which was what actually had converted a lot of western Europe (followers of st.Patrick) so there have always been schisms in the texts and beliefs... Phone Post 3.0

The Noose - Whether completely accurate or not, it's close enough. How anyone can study the history of the bible and continue believing it is baffling. Phone Post 3.0
I believe the Bible is a collection of analogies and some historical fact put together to teach moral lessons to people. This is what most people believed until the Evangelical movement of the late 19th and early 20th century...So when you run your dicklicker about christians without knowing the fact that what youre mostly angry at is the modern evangelical movement, you show yourself to be just as big of an idiot as they are. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry that was mean... I just hate Evangelicals and atheists equally... two groups of people who spit far more hate than truth.. Phone Post 3.0

Later Phone Post 3.0

"I believe the Bible is a collection of analogies and some historical fact put together to teach moral lessons to people. This is what most people believed until the Evangelical movement of the late 19th and early 20th century...So when you run your dicklicker about christians without knowing the fact that what youre mostly angry at is the modern evangelical movement, you show yourself to be just as big of an idiot as they are. "

Before you start vehemently railing against others' ignorance, you might want to get a handle on basic vocabulary like "analogy" as opposed to "metaphor."

Steel Bayou -
Nitecrawler -
Completely false Phone Post 3.0

Care to explain? Phone Post

I don't care if it's true or not, I'm using it.