Is this my responsibility? RE: Used car sale

If he actually wanted your help he should have approached you before he "fixed" it. Given you the option to fix it or get it fixed it or even buy it back.

But instead he's presenting you with a bill. He's asking you for a favor but setting the terms, that's pretty fucked up. I wouldn't help someone like that.

I am usually pretty good with getting cars fixed for cheap and not even having to do the work myself so personally I'd rather someone come to me first, I'll call a bunch of people, ask relatives/friends, buy the part myself whatever it takes to get the price down to a reasonable level. I've gotten repairs done that were quoted $1000 for $150 just by being a little creative.

If you feel guilty and you want a clear conscience throw him $100-200 bucks but by very careful about how you do this. Either do it in cash in person without speaking about it over text messages or email, or if you write a check or have spoken about it over email/text then make him agree that you are not responsible in anyway and the car was bought as-is and this money is simply a charitable donation seeing as he is experiencing financial difficulty and should in no way be seen as any kind of payment towards any repairs for the vehicle or relating to the sale of the vehicle.

100% not your responsibility. As is where is. If he wants a warrantee, he can buy from a dealer. Phone Post 3.0

BackOffWarchild - LOL @ $1k for a radiator for an older car. Just get the fuck out. Your response should be:

"Normally I would be inclined to be a good neighbor and help someone I've had a financial dealing with. However, as you are trying to rip me off to the tune of $500, which is more than it would cost to replace the radiator in this vehicle, I am instead just going to advise you to kiss my rebel dick."

/thread Phone Post

As Is means just that; As Is.

IMO you have no obligation, morally or otherwise, to help the buyer with maintenance and upkeep after the sale has closed.

You fulfilled your obligations and that is where it ends. As Never_rolled noted, once you give in to helping him out this time, you open yourself up to future pestering about other issues the car may have. Just cut bait now and save yourself the headache.

Ultimately, he got what he paid for. If he wanted the comforts of a 100 point inspection, pre-owned certification and a written warranty, he should have gone to a dealer.

And when it comes down to it, any threats of potential litigation he sends you as a result of you refusing to foot the entire bill and then some for the radiator, is laughable, given the cost of retaining an attorney, court fees, etc. over a few hundred bucks (LOL @ wanting $1k).

Nope. Sounds like a scam. He is either scamming or got scammed by paying that much for a radiator. Not your issue. Phone Post 3.0

Lol at wanting a warranty on a $3200 used car.

You owe him nothing.

"No moral responsibility imo"

Yeah. He's pretty much an asshole for even bothering you with it. You buy a used car, you assume there's a good chance you are going to be making repairs on it. If he doesn't have any more money, then he should have bought a 2000 dollar vehicle so he'd have extra in case something on it broke.

I think any chain place like a Midas or Car-X would probably charge around a grand for a new radiator. Then they'd have a complete moron install it improperly. Those places exist for overcharging people and they are the first places idiots and old people go to for repairs. Like they do better work because they have a big lighted sign. A reputable neighborhood shop would probably do a better job for 500 bucks.

PeteyWheatstraw - I think any chain place like a Midas or Car-X would probably charge around a grand for a new radiator. Then they'd have a complete moron install it improperly. Those places exist for overcharging people and they are the first places idiots and old people go to for repairs. Like they do better work because they have a big lighted sign. A reputable neighborhood shop would probably do a better job for 500 bucks.
Jiffy lube was charging people for fluid changes and wouldn't even connect it to the machines to do it. Phone Post 3.0

Tell him to bring the car back. Then offer him $500 for it since it needs a new radiator. Phone Post 3.0

If he's not being a douche and you believe it's legit then I would help him out. You legally don't have to do anything if you sold it "as is" but I believe it's the right thing to do. Definitely get estimates though.

Called around and got estimates for a radiator replacement with labour and materials. Offered the guy 1/3 of the cost because I "felt sorry for him" and that its just a favor. Made it clear that I had no obligation to give him anything. No answer from him yet. Phone Post 3.0

This a ploy by gay men to get a sympathetic cock in their asshole. Don't fall for it. Or do, up to you. Phone Post 3.0