Is this normally how parking tickets work?

I got a ticket for two cars parked in front of my house overnight. I didn't know it wasn't legal, but that's beside the point.

The tickets were $25 dollars each if paid within 48 hours and $35 if not. If you wanted to contest the ticket you had to physically go in and state you wanted to fight it within 5 days to arrange a hearing, but the only way to do that was to go in to an office that is open from 9a.m. to 1p.m. Mon-Fri. Otherwise you had to send in payment immediately, but they would not accept payment unless you signed the ticket stating that you admitted to full guilt for committing what the ticket stated.

Is that normally how tickets work?

CuddleBug - I got a ticket for two cars parked in front of my house overnight. I didn't know it wasn't legal, but that's beside the point.

The tickets were $25 dollars each if paid within 48 hours and $35 if not. If you wanted to contest the ticket you had to physically go in and state you wanted to fight it within 5 days to arrange a hearing, but the only way to do that was to go in to an office that is open from 9a.m. to 1p.m. Mon-Fri. Otherwise you had to send in payment immediately, but they would not accept payment unless you signed the ticket stating that you admitted to full guilt for committing what the ticket stated.

Is that normally how tickets work?

Yup.

Money making scam for the municipality/city/state where they make it hard as fuck to fight so most just pay it.

This works with hospital/insurance bills and a myriad of other shit where consumers just throw up their hands and pay as the hassle is oftentimes not worth it.

Sad, but it's a legal form of extortion.

Little known secret: if everyone requested a jury trial every time it would bankrupt local governments. They want you to pay and go away. If you threaten a jury trial they'll make an offer for less even if you have no defense whatsoever. Phone Post

Thanks for the answer. I was really curious to know if my township was just incredibly backwards or not. And I completely agree with the rest of what you said. I thought about it a few days and then just paid it because it wasn't worth the hassle, though I would have liked to fight it just because I'm at the end of a small dead end road and while ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, my driveway was taped off so it was obvious my asphalt was just sealed and it was drying. So I would have liked to at least gone in to let the cop know that he could have at least been more understanding of the situation. Anyway, the part the bothered me the most was being compelled to have to sign something stating my guilt which just seems unconstitutional in some way.

CuddleBug - Thanks for the answer. I was really curious to know if my township was just incredibly backwards or not. And I completely agree with the rest of what you said. I thought about it a few days and then just paid it because it wasn't worth the hassle, though I would have liked to fight it just because I'm at the end of a small dead end road and while ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, my driveway was taped off so it was obvious my asphalt was just sealed and it was drying. So I would have liked to at least gone in to let the cop know that he could have at least been more understanding of the situation. Anyway, the part the bothered me the most was being compelled to have to sign something stating my guilt which just seems unconstitutional in some way.

Yeah that is fucked up.

Tell you a quick story. Went in to fight a traffic ticket a few years back. Made a left turn from the middle lane as did the cars in front and behind me yet cop pulled me over. Went to court to fight it.

Woman before me was fighting a ticket she got for talking on the phone while driving. Cop testified he saw her doing it etc. Womans turn to speak and says to the judge "The officer said he saw me talking on the phone with the phone to my ear but here is my bluetooth that I use all the time that I received when I bought my phone and here is my bill from verizon that shows I wasn't on the phone at the time".

Judge looks her in the face, hits the gavel and says "Guilty". Orders her to pay the ticket. Everyones mouth in the court fell open. The woman tried to plead with the judge but he said her hearing was over and to please go see window X to pay her fine.

I was next and when they asked me how I plead I said "Was gonna plead not guilty as I have pics and video of the intersection but I don't think it would do any good after seeing that". Judge chewed me a new one and made me pay the fine.

Fucked up shit all around.

Nitecrawler - 
CuddleBug - Thanks for the answer. I was really curious to know if my township was just incredibly backwards or not. And I completely agree with the rest of what you said. I thought about it a few days and then just paid it because it wasn't worth the hassle, though I would have liked to fight it just because I'm at the end of a small dead end road and while ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, my driveway was taped off so it was obvious my asphalt was just sealed and it was drying. So I would have liked to at least gone in to let the cop know that he could have at least been more understanding of the situation. Anyway, the part the bothered me the most was being compelled to have to sign something stating my guilt which just seems unconstitutional in some way.

Yeah that is fucked up.

Tell you a quick story. Went in to fight a traffic ticket a few years back. Made a left turn from the middle lane as did the cars in front and behind me yet cop pulled me over. Went to court to fight it.

Woman before me was fighting a ticket she got for talking on the phone while driving. Cop testified he saw her doing it etc. Womans turn to speak and says to the judge "The officer said he saw me talking on the phone with the phone to my ear but here is my bluetooth that I use all the time that I received when I bought my phone and here is my bill from verizon that shows I wasn't on the phone at the time".

Judge looks her in the face, hits the gavel and says "Guilty". Orders her to pay the ticket. Everyones mouth in the court fell open. The woman tried to plead with the judge but he said her hearing was over and to please go see window X to pay her fine.

I was next and when they asked me how I plead I said "Was gonna plead not guilty as I have pics and video of the intersection but I don't think it would do any good after seeing that". Judge chewed me a new one and made me pay the fine.

Wow. My only speeding ticket I got once, the cop was wrong about the speed zone I was in so I got a ticket for doing 10 more than I was guilty of. I went in for the part where a lawyer talks to you and offers a reduction. The ticket I had said I was on a highway and in intersecting highway both of which didn't exist in that county, so the cop was way off with everything he wrote down. The lawyer said I could go ahead and proceed to fight it, but I was better off taking his offer because he had never seen someone win in traffic court ever. I took the offer, but I thought he was bluffing, but after your story I guess not and I'm glad I took the offer.

Over here when you go to fight a ticket they charge you a court surcharge. It's usually just easier to pay the ticket unless points are going to go on your license. If it's a ticket where you get points you can pay the ticket plus an extra fine and you get no points.

Also it's your word against the cops, the judge 90% of the time believes the cops.

I don't think you can get a jury trial for a non-criminal ticket. I think everything goes in front of the judge and almost every time they will make you pay your fine plus a surcharge.

Another scam is the toll booths where you throw your change in. If the toll booth is fucked up and it doesn't register your payment properly they automatically mail you a ticket. I got a ticket from the Parkway and there is no way to fight the ticket. All of the options are basically an admission of guilt.

Nitecrawler - 

Yeah that is fucked up.

Traffic tickets are nothing more than extortion.  Traffic courts are a complete scam in which our justice system is turned upside down.  I don't know how they are allowed to operate the way they do.  In traffic court, you are presumed guilty unless you can overwhelmingly prove your innocence beyond any doubt.  

I don't understand how the constitutionality of how traffic courts operate hasn't been contested all the way to the supreme court.  

Well on the other side of the coin I was driving on the highway one day and this cop pulls behind me. Drop down to 55 and set the cruise control as I move over. Dude moves over with me so I stay where I'm at at the same speed.

Cop lights me up, I pull over and figure it's an out tail light or something.

Comes up to me and is like, do you know what the speed limit is here? I say "Yeah it's 55". He says "No, it's 45".

I say "Oh shit, are you serious?".

Cop laughs and says, "Yes it is, now you know for next time" and lets me off with a warning LOL.

Seriously didn't know it was 45, but now I know.

And knowing is half the battle :)

Check out your city budget some day...You might be surprised.

In my town, the city estimates Fines and Forfeitures (predominantly parking fines) to be ~$2.51MM, or ~8% of gross city revenues, for 2013-2014.

I don't live in a big city, either. Definitely a boosheet.

how long until we have to just escrow money in an account to drive
then the municipalities can just charge your account for any infractions

it would be easy to do