Is this ok or not?

I like to watch the anime inuyasha where the title character is half demon "asian mythology" and is potrayed as a good guy. Does this go against Baptismal Vows where we renounce the works of evil?

While I'm hardly an expert in Asian mythology, I believe Chinese demons are evil/mischievous spirits that have magical powers. I'm not sure what would prevent that spirit from doing good deeds if he chose to. They aren't equivalent to Christian demons.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were reading something that portrayed, say, the Lucifer of Paradise Lost as a heroic rebel worthy of worship and praise, then you might have a case, but perhaps not even then. I would regard this as no worse than reading mythology, assuming watching the show doesn't cause you to sin in any way.

If you start to really believe in the stuff, then it's a big deal.  If you're just watching it for entertainment, it's not much to worry about.

I just felt weird about thinking of a character like this as a "good" guy but i know in reality if anything was a deamon of course it would be evil.

Well, don't watch "Hellboy"!

Does anyone else see any irony in someone with a screen name of warmonky asking if it's ok to watch anime?

The line today is very blurred. I can laugh and enjoy playing fantasy video games with wizards and shit but you cant let yourself get caught up in it.

Its funny that people will often tell me I dont show paganism, earth spirits, witchcraft and that kind of stuff the respect it deserves. Thats because for me that stuff is empty and nonsense. Showing it respect would be a grave sin.

Remember, no such thing as a good witch.

Good question. I'm Christian and raised Christian. I grew up reading comics and to this day my mother insists they're evil. I think that's just ridiculous, but sometimes I wonder.

"Remember, no such thing as a good witch."

So, the good witch in the Wizard of Oz was really another evil witch? How so?

She is clearly depicted as making it snow to counteract the effects of the sleepy poppies so they could make it to Emerald City.

I think she was definately a good witch.

Phl 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

Mr. Fix it:

Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you [any one] that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that useth divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a WITCH,

Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Deu 18:12 For all that do these things [are] an ABOMINATION unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

"Well, don't watch "Hellboy"!"

I'm a huge Hellboy fan, and strange as it may seem, Hellboy is actually Roman Catholic. He's also generally a good guy, there's no sex or graphic violence against humans in the comics...

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Hellboy.html

rooster,

Why are you quoting OT scripture at me?

Because Mr. Fix it, the OT is ahem still part of the bible. I assumed you knew that??

I loooved comics and actually sold mine after I became a Christian. There are some really good comics out there, but there is also a lot filled with sex, violence, nihilism, paganism and the occult...tread carefully.

What defines "the occult"? Are there specific criteria (like "must have at least some form of divination and a nature-spirit" or some such), or is it an umbrella term for icky stuff?

I know that there are many ways to enter the spiritual/supernatural realm but the bible states there is no way to the father (the invisible transcendent creator) but through Jesus.

So supernatural experiences based on diviniation, seances, trances, drugs, etc. are potentially giving you access to supernatural powers, but not from the "good" side.

so drugs are "the occult"? (I never thought of them this way -- I don't mean just drugs!)

Is it just an umbrella term for anything that leads you to the supernatural without it being through Christ?

(and does this mean drugs are only the occult when they lead to supernatural experiences, and not otherwise? I imagine some drugs would never do that, whatever your criteria for knowing the supernatural may be).

Also, any supernatural experience through some other religion is occult, it seems -- is this what you mean?

ali, I believe that the word for sorcery in the greek is pharmecutica...where we get the word for "drugs".

Now drugs are not in and of themselves occultic (obviously God gave us the earth for our benefit) so sure...pop an aspirin.

It's what goes on with it. If someone gets a witch doctor, grinds willow bark into some concoction and prays that the god of the local stream heal them...yeah, it's crossing the line :-)

So animistic religions are by their nature "occult" to you, then.

I'm getting that it is a sort of umbrella term, not too precise. Like there is a line, though it's not going to be summed up in a simple definition. Is this right?

I think the word "occult" means simply "hidden." Obviously connotative meanings have piled on top of that, but I wondered if there was a simple meaning for when it's "no longer ok" to those who use it to mean something that should be avoided. If not, it's ok with me if it's a bit vague -- real life does that sometimes.

btw -- I assume you chose willow bark as an example because aspirin is made from white willow bark? So the line is crossed by misunderstanding the science of the herb?