Is Vinny better than Nog in BJJ?

Everyone here seems to be dogging on Vinny.

I don't ever remember him saying he would beat Nog in a MMA fight, or that Nog wasn't good.

Vinny defeated Drysdale the year that Drysdale won Abu Dhabi's Absolute division.

Based off of his strictly grappling accomplishments, shouldn't Vinny be able to lay claim to actually being better than Nog on the ground?

MMA is a different story and Vinny knows this. In MMA, you see a lot more basic moves, because often the flashy stuff gets your face smashed in. I'm assuming this is what Vinny meant when he said Nog's BJJ was "more basic".

I would think that based off of his BJJ accomplishments, yes Vinny would win a BJJ match....MMA? no.

I am very impressed with Vinny's BJJ. Very very good.

Nog does use "basic" BJJ in comparison.

Bornruffian - Doesn't matter. You don't say shit like that about your superiors to a bunch of other gossipers and especially on camera.

if they were training together at their gym, no big deal. but on camera? not cool

Haven't A LOT of people that have rolled with Rickson said that his jiu-jitsu was mainly the basic moves in jiu-jitsu, he's just so incredibly superior in his technique? (Not that he isn't capable of non-basic moves, that he's just THAT good at the basics.)

That's what I've always remember hearing from stories of people that have rolled with Rickson.

J-LauFan1 - would it have not been cool if the producers decided to show the rolling match?

I'll buy the season dvd set if they put that footage in there.

Dudes, all Mir's fault!

He should know better and he baited Vinny into that response trying to stir things up. Mir said his BJJ was better and Vinny just responded and agreed. Mir sucks.

rickson is coaching next seasons TUF? thats rad I cant wait!

^correct

The funny thing is the "basic" bjj comment got blown out of proportion.

Basic bjj is what Nog uses. He is just amazing at it.

Rickson also uses basic BJJ and he is considered one of if not the best ever.

Basic bjj is not an insult, but rather the way you use your bjj skills.

Nog overacted.

Tom Lawlor - Based off of his strictly grappling accomplishments, shouldn't Vinny be able to lay claim to actually being better than Nog on the ground?

"Should" he be able to?  He's a grown ass man, he can do or say what he wants.

What perhaps you and others fail to realize is that even if it could be a justified comment, it's still very disrespectful to someone who is probably THE most respectful and respected fighter in MMA, and many fans will take a great dislike to it regardless if you or Vinny feel it's "justified".

Sport BJJ and BJJ for MMA = apples and oranges

The deciding factor is that Vinny is not competing on "The Ultimate Sport Grappler", and in the world of MMA he's done exactly jack shit, and we all know what Nog has done.

And I'm really trying to be reasonable and logical, because let's face it... the dude's full of himself.

Bornruffian - Doesn't matter. You don't say shit like that about your superiors to a bunch of other gossipers and especially on camera.

Bornruffina has summed it up nicely. It's about repect & not getting caught up in gossipping like a bunch of schoolgirls.