Ishmael

Have you read the book and what is your take on the author's views, specifically that it was written from a leavers POV and that Cain was an agriculturist, Abel a hunter gatherer?

What kind of book is Ishmael? Is it written as a religious book.

According to what i know about Cain and Abel that sounds correct. I believe around Genesis 4 the bible says Able kept flocks and Cain worked the ground or soil or something like that.

And as far as Ismael he was the brother of Isaac and son of Abraham.

Ishmael was written by Daniel Quinn. It is not exclusively about religion, but it talks about the downfall of our culture (where the turn for the worst began) and how the bible (specifically Genesis) fits into that. It does have some very interesting angles about the Bible.
Ishmael is a Gorilla (yes a gorilla) and the book is focused around conversations between him and a man. He makes some very good arguments IMO about the Bible as well as our culture as a whole. There is really to much in it to talk about if you havent read it. I figured someone here has read it and if not...GO READ ISHMAEL!

That just sounds silly.

can you elaborate on the conversation between the gorilla and the man?

I think the book is well written, but the views on hunger, population dynamics etc are nonsense.

How is it nonsense dogbert?
I believe it is a true view. If it werent for us, the famine propblem could have been resolved years ago. We are just making it worse by continually feeding them.

JoshB, man sees a newspaper article that states someone is looking for a student. The man goes to the address and finds a telepathic gorilla named Ishmael. Ish explains how he got to be where he is and how he can "talk". Then he moves into why he put the ad out.
Basically he explains to the man how the current path we are taking will eventually lead to destruction and how we got to where we are. It has opposing views to the christian way of life/beliefs, but I really found the book intriguing (sp?).
Most christians that read the book have opinions like dogbert about it. (no offense to him)

Hey, if donkey's & snakes can talk, why not gorillas? :)

Gorillas actually understand language fairly well I suppose ;)

"How is it nonsense dogbert? I believe it is a true view. If it werent for us, the famine propblem could have been resolved years ago. We are just making it worse by continually feeding them."

Famines are simply not caused by overpopulation. Here is a review of Nobel laureate Amarty Sens book on famines by Nobel laureate Kenneth Arrow:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:1CnDL_6PttwJ:finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~bhatta/BookReview/arrow_on_sen%27s_poverty_and_famine.html+%22Why+People+Go+Hungry%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I'm surprised that this telepathic gorilla book is still so commenly read in undergraduate philosophy classes. I wasn't very impressed with it. And to come anywhere close to suggesting that the solution to widespread famine is just to stop helping and let hundreds of thousands of people waste away until the population reduces to a sustainable limit...................I don't know how to respond to that notion without getting angry.