It is official Tito is truly

Tito is truly "The People's Champ". I have been watching UFC since UFC 1. I still remember Tito's first match against Guy Metzger in 1997. Hard to believe Tito has been competing at an elite level for 22 years. I remember when he flicked off Ken Shamrock, like any rabid Shamrock fan of the era I hated Tito with a passion. I was always rooting for him to lose, loved when Liddell smashed him the 1st time. You have to admit it Tito was one of the original needle movers (before Connor, Diaz). However, sometime around his stint as a coach on TUF he began to grow on me, guy was a solid mentor and coach. Later on his career he began to call himself "The People's Champ" (TPC), I was becoming a believer. Before he leaves the UFC he smashes the true/reigning champ champ Bader in under 2 minutes. Tito dominated ADR tonight. Say what you will about Tito but the dude is truely "The People's Champ" and is a Hall of Famer for the sport of MMA.

9 Likes

Nice to see you pop in, FUTA. Tito is certainly a one of a kind legend of the sport. He seems like a good guy and he's a hell of a character. Actually picked up the Ortiz vs. Liddell I DVD on a deal at the video store just last week (UFC 47: It's On...and the receipt actually said "UFC47:IT'SFUCKING", was the show really called "It's Fucking On?" lmao), what a spectacle, place was going bananas. Wonder how things would've unfolded if he finished that triangle on Machida and/or got the decision in the first Rashad fight. We at least would've gotten one more Tito UFC light heavyweight title fight, imo, and that would've been a lot of fun, especially if he fought Forrest when Rashad did, as many thought Tito deserved the decision in his redux with Forrest not long afterward. And on this December 7, 2019, I have no doubt he's not just one of the greats, but THE greatest, light heavyweight, of the night.

6 Likes

Always a fan. A tremendous career and in 22 years he's not ever really been flatlined has he from memory? Very durable and kept the UFC afloat in their dark days.

ttt

He was my first favorite fighter.

i have no illusions what so ever about the last 10 years of his career though.

He has one more fight on his contract with Combate. It will be interesting to see who's next.

https://i.imgur.com/hKIZrH8.jpg

After seeing some of the original ufcs and thinking of them as a spectacle it was Tito that hooked me a fan of the sport, I'm enjoying his farewell tour, obviously not fighting high level talent but he's still looking very good considering his age/milage.

one of the pioneers still doing his thing.

2 Likes

I mean this fight against Del Rio was a work and fake arse bullshit and a disgrace ,Tito regularly alienates half his fan base with his politics and when he gets on the mic hes a disaster but sure peoples champ if the people are his family. 

I've always appreciated Tito. Even when rooting against him. 

"Watches UFC since UFC 1"

Can't spell Mezger

I went to the two UFC's right before Zuffa bought the company and then a few after they bought the company, and based on what I saw I believe Tito single handedly carried the UFC through the dark years.  Dana White was Tito's manager, and without Tito, he would never have achieved the success he has known.

At all of the UFC's I attended where Tito was on the card or was at the event, he was always the first guy in the lobby talking to fans and signing stuff and the last guy to leave.  Because we are pretty close to the same age I found a few opportunities to talk with him about real stuff, like getting married and becoming a dad and how it changes one's perspective. Also, Tito and his first wife got into a serious accident on their honeymoon involving their moped and a bus, and it was as close to a near death experience as a person can have without it becoming a death experience... and so we talked about some real stuff.  Tito was cool... easy going, excited to engage with people, interesting... ultimately, Tito deserves way more credit than he has ever received from Dana and the UFC. 

But the fans know the truth... People's Champ.

3 Likes
FatChrist Magic - 

I went to the two UFC's right before Zuffa bought the company and then a few after they bought the company, and based on what I saw I believe Tito single handedly carried the UFC through the dark years.  Dana White was Tito's manager, and without Tito, he would never have achieved the success he has known.

At all of the UFC's I attended where Tito was on the card or was at the event, he was always the first guy in the lobby talking to fans and signing stuff and the last guy to leave.  Because we are pretty close to the same age I found a few opportunities to talk with him about real stuff, like getting married and becoming a dad and how it changes one's perspective. Also, Tito and his first wife got into a serious accident on their honeymoon involving their moped and a bus, and it was as close to a near death experience as a person can have without it becoming a death experience... and so we talked about some real stuff.  Tito was cool... easy going, excited to engage with people, interesting... ultimately, Tito deserves way more credit than he has ever received from Dana and the UFC. 

But the fans know the truth... People's Champ.

Agreed 100%

I think he fights Chael next 

Tito was always the most fan friendly superstar of his era and an amazing representative of the sport. He was the face of the UFC as it emerged from the dark ages. I'll always root for him.

Jump Kick - 

Tito was always the most fan friendly superstar of his era and an amazing representative of the sport. He was the face of the UFC as it emerged from the dark ages. I'll always root for him.

For the memes alone fans should be more grateful :)

1 Like
CRE - 
Jump Kick - 

For the memes alone fans should be more grateful :)

Tito was glad that he didn’t have to fight Randleman.

lamedroid -

"Watches UFC since UFC 1"

Can't spell Mezger

You're obviously a better fan because you spell better ;)

The first UFC I watched live on PPV was UFC 13 so I've watched Tito from the beginning. He always puts himself out there and tries to entertain and I respect that even though he has several annoying personal qualities.