It Wasn't Always Called The Guard

People see streetfights and say somebody "pulled guard" as if they were consciensly thinking of the technique.

But if you watch elementary school kids fight, you can see the guard all the time. It is a fundamental position in a fight, almost instinctual.

Back when I was a little kid, we called it "scissors." Before we even knew it was a "technique"

I thought that it was called "tiger suns it's belly"

LOL @ Mit!!

I used to call it the Gracie guard.

Speaking of the "scissors". Tony Cecchine and his Catch Wrestling gym & association also call it that. You guys were Catch Wrestlers and didn't even know it!

el guapo already said it

Yes, El Guapo did make an excellent point.

I've heard it called Scissors, Body Scissors, LAB (legs around bottom), and the buffer position.

As for Tony C calling it the scissor position, well that's what it was called 100 years ago. He didn't invent the term.

I do not like the term "Legs Around Bottom"

pat smith was the first to use the guard in ufc1

Mount too.

Speaking of the "scissors". Tony Cecchine and his Catch Wrestling gym & association also call it that. You guys were Catch Wrestlers and didn't even know it!

REAL CATCH had pins thus there was no bottom guard used...the scissors were used off to the side ...not as the new stuff teaches.

the guy that did a ninjitsu seminar at our gym the other night called it "scissors".

I punted a kid in the face from "scissors" once. We were fighting. Just like BJJ a perfect up kick when he stood up. He was a grade older and I was a hero after that, for almost an hour, then sadly I was back to a dork.

Hey I knew BJJ in 5th grade! I knew noogiedo also...