It's All in the Kata

slapsymaxi,

Even if the purpose is developing timing with a set of usable holds anytime a person does a chain or sequence of techniques they are in essence doing a kata.

It is a kata without the formalities. The purpose of a kata isn't what defines it. A kata is a sequence of techniques. It can be done in a very strict, formal way or in a very unrestricted, informal way. It can be very static and one dimensional or very dynamic and multi-dimensional. It still is a "kata" whenever you do a series, chain, or sequence of techniques.

Good point m.g., I agree with you. Although I think when most people think of "Kata", their thinking of those pre-arranged, ritualistic movements prescribed in Tae Kwon-Do or Karate. In many schools learning katas/patterns, is usually taken to be indicative of progress. After learning, the student gets a new belt. Black Bart

Blackbart,

I'm glad you see my point. I will go on to say that most if not all physical activities have some sort of "kata" or sequence patterns in them. They exist as a means to both learn and practice the activity.

The difference between traditional katas and solo drills is that in solo drills one can adapt and changed the drill to fit the exact movements tailored made for the specific application while traditonal katas cannot.

Solo drills also can change from day to day year to year depending on modifications that need to be done.

This is not an option with tradtional kata.

Uchikomi in judo is the perfect example that most kata advocates point to when pinned back to the wall in most kata arguments.Although uchikomi can be looked upon as a form of kata,it is by no means bounded by any traditions that will prevent future change or adaptations.

its all good,

In my opinion when you say "traditional Katas" your simply talking about particular katas that someone formulate, created, and taught. That isn't the "definition" of kata, that is simply a kata someone created.

What rule says a kata can't change? There is no such rule. Perhaps a kata someone created shouldn't be changed but that really doesn't have anything to do with what is a kata in and of itself. People create certain rules concerning katas, rules that are really in their heads.

In my opinion any sequence or chain of techniques or moves is a kata. Solo drills are katas.