It's Chili time...

Attempting to recreate a GREAT chili I tasted awhile back. So far, it smells GREAT! I forgot to take pics of the prepwork but I did take pics now, while it's simmering away on the stove. I'll post when I can find that damn usb attachment to download...

ok! Chili recipe time!

• 4lbs. of meat (your choice - chuck, tri tip, brisket work well. I used boneless chuck from beef ribs.)

• 1 bottle of good Zinfandel wine - (I used 3/4 bottle and drank the rest....)

• 2 Jalapeno Peppers (roast and finely mince)

• 1 Habanero Pepper (roast and finely mince)

• 5/6 cloves of garlic (finely minced)

• 1 green onion (chopped)

• 1/2 White onion (chopped)

• 2 tbsp. Red Pepper (chopped)

• 1 6oz. can of tomato paste

• 1 28oz. can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes

• 1 can of Kidney beans

• 4 tbsp. Chili Powder

• 3 tbsp. Oregano

• 1 tbsp. Cumin

• 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper

• 1 tbsp. Salt

• 1 tsp. Pepper

• 32 oz. water

Make sure all your garlic, chiles, bell pepper, onion are chopped and ready to go, before you start!

1. Get a nice sized pot and put in a little olive oil, maybe 2 tbsp.

2. Get pot hot and brown the meat. Once the meat is browned, dump out any liquid accumulated from the meat.

3. Add the wine and tomatoes and tomato paste.

4. Add the seasonings

5. Add the chiles, garlic, bell pepper, onions

6. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 1/2 hour.

7. Add (drained) kidney beans and water, then cook COVERED over low heat for 2 hours.

8. Adjust seasonings to personal taste .... :)

9. Serve with chopped onion and shredded cheese of your choice...

That's it!!!

It's definitely got a kick!

sounds awesome.

Sounds great. I shall try this.

I will need more beans.

Beans, beans, good for your heart.

The more you eat, the more you...poot

:)

more beans would be good as well. I noticed that the next couple days of eating it, it still had great heat but not like the first day, right off the stove. Either I developed some superfast tolerance or the peppers kinda eased into the chili....

That is odd. I find stuff often increases in heat when frozen.

I didn't freeze it - I mean, it was still spicy as heck but I found it much more assuring that I wouldn't be paying for it in the morning...if you know what I mean.

That looks pretty solid.

That is odd. I find stuff often increases in heat when frozen.

IMO, it depends on what it is. For some reason, solid objects that are loose, like hot wings or even stir fry will be less spicy after being frozen or even refrigerated. Foods that are mostly paste or liquid, like soups and chili are more spicy. I made a thread about this a year or two ago and, while most people agreed, no one had an answer...

Decrease in water content would be my first guess.