Chimonos Revenge - 

Gadget as Macguyver?!??!

Liyon - 
Chimonos Revenge - 

Gadget as Macguyver?!??!

IMO

Upperdog - 

Fun fact:
The cracking sound a bullwhip makes when properly wielded is, in fact, a small sonic boom. The end of the whip, known as the "cracker", moves faster than the speed of sound, thus creating a sonic boom. The whip is probably the first human invention to break the sound barrier

I had a bullwhip as a kid that I got at an amusement park gift shop. I got pretty good with it, cracking the sound barrier, and was able to snap small limbs off trees. It's amazing the things that parents let kids play with back then.

Upperdog - 

Now I'm going to have to re-watch all the Indiana Jones, Allan Quatermain, Romancing the Stone, and Crocodile Dundee movies.. along with Magnum PI and MacGyver episodes too...?
Thanks alot OP!
I just finished Justified and The Shield again recently. What's next... Knight Rider, Renegade or Walker, Texas Ranger.. the A-Team?

I love it when a plan comes together.

Fuck me running... I might as well watch all the Tremors movies fall apart afterwards.

Be sure to throw in Selleck's Quigley Down Under, he was great in that.

VinegarStrokes - 
Stronghold - My boss has a actual Indiana Jones hat, one of 44 used in the movies

That’s awesome. 

I read that Alan Hale, who played the Skipper in Gilligan's Isle, so liked the captain's hat he wore that he adopted it as his everyday wear for the rest of his life, and he would buy them by the dozen. He would hand them out to fans and people who helped him out, who were happy to have "The Skipper's" actual hat. 

Chimonos Revenge - 
Chimonos Revenge -

Harrison Ford working out in preparation for Temple of Doom. He underwent a strict workout routine with trainer Jake Steinfield. Spielberg also agreed to undertake the same regiment as Ford, but quit after a few weeks

He had an authentic old-school, Kirk Douglas / Johnny Weismuller build for the movies, like a guy who is in good shape but not the kind of roided-up look that seems required for action stars now.

FingerorMoon - 
Chimonos Revenge - 

Raiders of the lost Ark originally got an R rating, which Spielberg didnt want.

The scene that put it over the top was the head exploding scene at the end. So they kind of partially covered it up by flames to obscure it to knock it back down to a PG rating. 

PG-13 was actually invented due to Temple of Doom.
There were complaints about it being classified as PG and Spielberg suggested an intermediate step between PG and R.

Spielberg suggested it, and Red Dawn was the first film to actually get the PG-13 rating.

The Stewed Owl - 
Upperdog - 

Fun fact:
The cracking sound a bullwhip makes when properly wielded is, in fact, a small sonic boom. The end of the whip, known as the "cracker", moves faster than the speed of sound, thus creating a sonic boom. The whip is probably the first human invention to break the sound barrier

I had a bullwhip as a kid that I got at an amusement park gift shop. I got pretty good with it, cracking the sound barrier, and was able to snap small limbs off trees. It's amazing the things that parents let kids play with back then.

My Grandparents bought be a real bullwhip as a kid.

I wore it out whipping shit.

Really hard to get it to catch enough to swing from by the way :)

Spielberg has said Indiana Jones was inspired by the Doc Savage's torn khaki shirt aesthetic, as well as the whole 1930s lost civilization globe-trotting aesthetic from the books.

Also by Jonny Quest's adventures around various tombs and temples.

So, i recently started watching these movies with my kids.

We've watched Raiders and Temple of Doom.

My daughter is 7 (i hemmed and hawed over it, but she's about the age I was when i saw it first), and sat watching Temple of Doom with a small notebook, drawing pictures of everything in the movie...Indy's hat, The Diamond, Nurhachi, the Shankara Stones....everything.

It's like her Temple of Doom diary.

Years ago i bought a costume replica of Indy's Raiders outfit. Hat, Jacket, pants, whip and whip holder, gun prop, holster....it's legit, but it was $$$$ (I had more disposable income before i had kids) The hat is a replica, but was brand new. I "aged" it by rubbing it woodstove ashes and dirt until it got a very well used look to it. I've kept it packed away in my closet it my bedroom.

I showed my kids the gear after we watched Raiders (their first Indy experience) and they went bonkers. Was a great Dad moment.

I want to one day pick up a bunch more Indy props...the Fertility Idol, the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra, the Shankara Stones, the Grail..etc. They can be found online if you want to spend money on them.

Fortune and Glory, Kid

The Stewed Owl - 

Spielberg has said Indiana Jones was inspired by the Doc Savage's torn khaki shirt aesthetic, as well as the whole 1930s lost civilization globe-trotting aesthetic from the books.

I think there was probably some influence from Charlton Heston in Secret of the Incas from 1954 too

Chimonos Revenge - 
The Stewed Owl - 

I think there was probably some influence from Charlton Heston in Secret of the Incas from 1954 too

Holy shit, will have to check that out!

There was also a hero-adventurer in a movie serial series that used a whip like Indy (as a grappling hook, etc.), can't remember the name but Spielberg acknowledged him as another inspiration.

I guess long photo threads are going to be tough to navigate now

One day Some OGer will be very impressed with your archiving of all these Indiana Jones Adventures!

1 Like

in all honesty i think she would have done better.

markie post would have been slightly better.