I've started Cardio at the HardCore Gym!

Awesome posts, Big Pun.  That is very similar to what I am doing (using the "Lose It" app for Iphone).  I have had 2 of the same revelations you mentioned:  1) Counting cals keeps me honest, and really opened my eyes to just how much I was really eating, and how much of it really was crap 2) The condiment thing.  man, I cant tell you how many times the sauce or the dressing just kills my calorie count.

I also started using sugar substitutes, and hope to eventually eliminate sweeteners altogether (I need baby steps).  I also hear you about the "healty" stuff not being so healthy.  That being said, both "Healty Choice" and "Marie Calendars" (and maybe some others) make some awesome frozen microwavable, "steamers" that are actually quite good.  Most of them are almost a full meal, and usually between 250-450 calories total.

Lastly, I finally started drinking tons of water and that has helped too. 

Once you see the numbers daily you automatically line yourself out. Over time you just find the foods you like that work best for you. As long as you weigh in and count the actual calories, you will stay pretty motivated. Especially count those cheat calories like cake, or candy or burgers, etc... It was just eye opening. Stupid ranch dressing

If youre counting calories... check this site out Frank

Just seach for just about everything including restaraunts
(link will open in new page)
www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php

I've searched on calorieking before.  Decent datbase.   I've also found you can pretty much just google the calorie count of any food and it will come up in one of the major calorie counters like calorie king or calorie lab.

props frank

doesnt sound fun, but good luck, and wfa

good luck and ttt for hardcore.

Good luck!

Best of luck Frank, I started going back to the gym this week after a 2 year layoff. I SHOULD be at 180 lbs.(ish) but somehow my wife has cooked my way up to 220. I've given myself 3 months to drop the 40 lbs. 2.5 lbs/week seems reasonable. Trying to figure out my calorie intake has been a lot easier than it used to...I use the "Livestrong" app on my Droid. I can even scan labels with the phone to get the calorie content.
Keep us posted, I'll be cheering for ya!

Quik - I use the "Livestrong" app on my Droid. I can even scan labels with the phone to get the calorie content.

That is super cool!  I don't think the "Lose it" app I am using will do that

Morgz - 
Quik - I use the "Livestrong" app on my Droid. I can even scan labels with the phone to get the calorie content.

That is super cool!  I don't think the "Lose it" app I am using will do that

Wait...can't you just read the label? lol

good luck man, 

this will greatly improve your COD skills as well!!

don't keep your calories in your head Frank. That's what we're saying.

Frank, once you get in shape you should fly down to Fort Worth, TX and kick Brock (Ted Johnson) Groom's ass!

So how is the progress?

So glad you finally took us up on the invite Frank. It is a dark road you were going down and I hope you can start to see a small shimmer of light at the end of it now. It's not nearly as hard as you thought, is it? One day at a time my friend. Keep up the great work. See you later tonight.

Progress:

OK, literally Day 1 I was coming off of seeing the Chiropractor for a nagging back problem that I'd hurt more by moving in a new bed to my house.

I only did 10 min (WALKING!) on the treadmill, some rolling out on a foam roller for my back , some stretches, etc.

To this past Monday and yesterday, I did 30 min of the treadmill at a slight incline, etc.  I think I sweated a LB just doing that.   So I can definitely notice a difference.   I've been eating a lot better too.  I've only had water in the past 3 weeks.   I'm eating fruit everyday (blueberries, pineapple, etc) Drinking EAS Protein, taking lots of vitamins (multi, fish oil, garlic,).  

So we'll see where this takes me.

Many thanks to Luke (for some how being the only person that could make me get me into the gym), Rory and Adam Singer for always being there for me, encouraging me, and letting me know I can count on them.

Anyone in Athens or coming through should really check out the HardCore Gym.  Everday I am there, I see new people coming in to check it out, sign up, or start training.   It's amazing how many people are paired up sparring as compaired to the beginning days when 6 guys would be a nearly full mat!   I think I counted 18 pairs of people training the other night at once.  

How goes the battle?

Good stuff Frank.

Careful with those EAS drinks.  I love them also (well, actually I do the muscle milk), but they can be uber fatting.  I try to just have one after I train now -- I also switched to the light version.  There was also a recent  study saying a lot of these protein drinks contain dangerous levels of heavy metals.  I can't bring myself to completely quitting them, but I am trying to drink them in moderation.