Izzy is not that good

And motivated Bobby Knuckles likely KOs him.

That division is garbage, no depth after Whittaker. Not a single threat. We’re talk 4-5 to 1 underdogs.

Bobbo getting three wins before his rematch is gonna be pivotal. He looked great in the first fight with Izzy, with a few adjustments he will beat him.

Izzys good but he’s not that good.

1 Like

Bobby didn’t look that good in their first fight. It will be more competitive but Izzy is a notch above him. He is THAT good, that’s why he’s beating everyone.

6 Likes

I thought he was pretty effective and certainly the aggressor. I definitely saw a theme in his attach and all Izzy had to do was counter a blitzing Robert. I thought Bob landed a lot, and in another fight could make adjustments that score. I had him winning the first until the last 5 sec. he came out confident in the second, landed, but of course got countered.

Ok been there done that. How do we evolve a bit and add something to his previously effective jab and pressure fight. I think if his head is 100 and he is motivated more than ever he is live, LIVE dog. Certainly a dog, but assuredly a barking one

3 Likes

Whittaker needs a new team or at least to mix his training regiment up coaching wise. His gameplan was ordinary in the first Izzy fight. The boy made the man look amateurish.

Comin from an Aussie who lives 10min from Knuckles gym. Love him, tough as nails! Hope he finds a way to rip Izzys head off next time round

3 Likes

I’d have to rewatch but I would not have clearly given that first round to Whittaker. He was more active and more aggressive but Izzy was countering him. At first Izzy was moving and circling, then he was slipping and missing counters, then he started landing. However, Whittaker was not very accurate, as a lot of those shots were blocked or slipped.

Bobby covers distance extremely well. Not sure what the reach discrepancy is but if Whittaker can blend his kicks in with his punches he will do better. The problem is that the game plan he used in the first fight is the type of strategy you need against Izzy. If you sit back and wait, Izzy will eat you up with kicks all night. If you blitz him, he will feed you check hooks and crosses. Bobby has to find a way to get in close range and at least threaten with grappling.

1 Like

Remember: that left hook that Izzy landed to KO Bobby was the same one that dropped him at the end of the first. Izzy had also partially landed it earlier in the first… he was already looking for it, he just needed to get the timing.

1 Like

While I agree he’s not on the level people suggest, I’d say the same applies to Whittaker. The division is indeed garbage and has been since Weidman & Rockhold lost their aura

3 Likes

Izzy is elite as it gets standing. And has the most favorable matchups at 185 based on his length and leverage. Styles make fights. I think Sean Strickland would be a tough matchup for him honestly. Constant pressure, chin, and good boxing could be the way to win at 85 if you’re not wrestling Izzy

7 Likes

Izzy KO’s him again. Whittaker has literally shown nothing to make anyone think the rematch goes any different. Hate him or love him, Izzy is a good and active champion unlike Whittaker who held up the belt.

I do agree that Izzy isn’t “that good” though. Seems clear that he’s one-dimensional and would struggle hard against grapplers. The division is just weak. MW and LHW are as bad as HW these days.

2 Likes

How can you say he’s as elite as it gets striking then suggest Strickland is a tough fight when his stand up is about at sloppy as Top 10 stand up gets

1 Like

People hate his personality but Izy is that good. He starched Whittaker in front of his home crowd.

You all thought costa was gonna do it and he fucked him up.

Izy is fighting all takers, staying active and delivering in the cage every time. Granted Vettori fight was boring but to say he is not ‘that good’ is just dumb as fuck.

Hope he keeps knocking ppl out and you keep eating dicks trumpy

2 Likes

I don’t know how good he is anymore. He never fights.

He’s already fought twice this year…

3 Likes

Whittaker needs some takedowns in the rematch. He has a good power double hope he goes for it he has the athleticism

4 Likes

Whittaker did not look good in the first match and had a bizarre strategy. That said, he has the tools to win the rematch with the right game plan.

1 Like

Makes you wonder how great Kelvin could be as he almost beat Izzy. he is undersized and has big name scalps on his wall

2 Likes

He is not undersized. He is plenty big enough for MW and the cut to WW was ridiculous.

That said I agree with what you said first- Kelvin is extremely talented. I don’t know what his personal situation is but seems if he was disciplined he would be championship material

He is 5’8”ish. Poirier was 200# before he started fighting. Kelvin with discipline should be able to make 170 and with his fighting skills would be a hard out. Not saying it would be easy or fun to eat right, but the guy is missing out on his true potential. I’m not judging the guy for it, actually I’m amazed by what he does. Hey it’s his life, who am I to judge. But to think he can’t make 170 and potentially dominate is disingenuous.

1 Like

Kelvin vs Usman, would be interesting
And yzzy is just lanky and spams leg kicks, somebody needs to check it
I dont see his striking that good, put him against same size/reach and he is avarage

Izzys arms get tired after grappling exchanges and If Rob wants to win he needs to push grappling exchanges in the first 2 rounds in a half. Then go to his striking. Otherwise Izzy is on another playing field with his striking

1 Like