J.D. and Philo M.A./Ph.d programs?

I've been looking a joint J.D./Philosophy programs lately, which usually result in one being able to get their law degree and an M.A. in philosophy in 4 years. Does anyone have any experience or views on J.D. and Philosophy joint programs? Does having the graduate background in philosophy really add much to one's abilities as a lawyer. Alternatively, does having a law degree add much to one's philosophical inquiries?

ttt

"Does having the graduate background in philosophy really add much to one's abilities as a lawyer. Alternatively, does having a law degree add much to one's philosophical inquiries? "

probably philosophy is more useful for a lawyer then the other way around.

my 2 cents

Well as a recent recipient of a Philosophy B.A. from UCLA and in a week beginning my law school, I'll tell you in three years.

I earned my M.A. in philosophy and then went to law school and earned my J.D. I did not do this as part of a joint program, however.

The philosophy was very beneficial to my law school studies because it provided me with lots of practice in (1) analyzing very difficult abstract topics and (2) writing clearly about those topics. The subject matter in law school was easier, but there was a large quantity of work to do.

I can't imagine doing both at the same time in only 4 years. I earned my M.A. in 2 years while going to school full time and then earned my J.D. in 3 years while going to school full time.

Thanks for the info People's Knee. I'm glad to hear that the two degrees complement each other well. I think that most of the 4-year programs carries some overlap were you get credits from the MA count for the JD and/or the other way around and thats how people are able to finish them in 4 years.
Does anyone have any thoughts on if having joint degrees would be especially useful if one went on to be a law professor?

I graduated with a BA in philosophy, then went to law school. Now, 15 years later I am becoming interested in philosophy again. I was a top student in my school's philosophy department, and found that it benefitted my law studies somewhat. However, as far as the actual reading and thinking of philosophy, it unfortunately stopped with law school. Too bad. Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.