Brea Jiu-jitsu hosted Joao Miyao for a seminar earlier this evening. Here's my summary.
- He conducted the entire seminar in English. He speaks well enough. Probably hovering around GGG level English.
- All techniques revolved around DLR/berimbolos; every technique started with a DLR hook and grabbing the collar or belt. Personally, I suck at that style of game. But I do feel like I got a pretty good overview when all was said and done.
- Joao walked around and offered feedback to everybody.
- He probably went over about 5-6 variations total. He allowed plenty of time for reps/drilling each time.
- He set aside over an hour for rolling. He had a non-stop queue of people wanting to roll with him. I don't think he sat out once. He wanted 6 minute rounds with 1 minute rest. I'm pretty sure he tapped the shit out of everybody. I wanted to get a round in with him but it was already close to wrapping up and he still had others waiting ahead of me.
- Joao comes across as a no non-sense kind of guy. He definitely doesn't joke around when he teaches and he doesn't smile or laugh a lot. He probably takes his training more serious than 99.9% of the population.
- There was some mini-Miyao blue belt at the seminar too. I don't think he's really related but looks like he could be.
Overall, it was a good seminar. Again, very straight and to the point, no Q&A session after but again his English is somewhat limited and I think he believes the most important thing is training, not story-telling or offering his opinion on various subjects.
If Joao ever comes to an academy near you, I'd say go for it just based on the fact that he will roll with anybody.