J. Miyao seminar recap

Brea Jiu-jitsu hosted Joao Miyao for a seminar earlier this evening.  Here's my summary.

- He conducted the entire seminar in English.  He speaks well enough.  Probably hovering around GGG level English.

- All techniques revolved around DLR/berimbolos; every technique started with a DLR hook and grabbing the collar or belt.  Personally, I suck at that style of game.  But I do feel like I got a pretty good overview when all was said and done.

- Joao walked around and offered feedback to everybody.

- He probably went over about 5-6 variations total.  He allowed plenty of time for reps/drilling each time.

- He set aside over an hour for rolling.  He had a non-stop queue of people wanting to roll with him.  I don't think he sat out once.  He wanted 6 minute rounds with 1 minute rest.  I'm pretty sure he tapped the shit out of everybody.  I wanted to get a round in with him but it was already close to wrapping up and he still had others waiting ahead of me.  

- Joao comes across as a no non-sense kind of guy.  He definitely doesn't joke around when he teaches and he doesn't smile or laugh a lot.  He probably takes his training more serious than 99.9% of the population.  

- There was some mini-Miyao blue belt at the seminar too.  I don't think he's really related but looks like he could be.  

Overall, it was a good seminar.  Again, very straight and to the point, no Q&A session after but again his English is somewhat limited and I think he believes the most important thing is training, not story-telling or offering his opinion on various subjects.

If Joao ever comes to an academy near you, I'd say go for it just based on the fact that he will roll with anybody.

I believe that the mini Miyao is one of his team mates who just won the Worlds. Could be wrong though, but saw Paulo or Joao tagged in his podium picture, and had to really zoom in to make sure that it wasn't one of them lol.

Thanks for the recap.  Did they adapt what they showed to those couldn't invert?  I'm curious if they had variations for say fat guys.

carcaju -

I believe that the mini Miyao is one of his team mates who just won the Worlds. Could be wrong though, but saw Paulo or Joao tagged in his podium picture, and had to really zoom in to make sure that it wasn't one of them lol.

I saw that kid too. Has the exact same game and looks just like them. Phone Post 3.0

Did the techniques he showed have any kind of sequential or chaining order to them? I'm ask because I went to a seminar of his about two years ago and he showed all DLR/Berimbolo techniques. He'd show a technique, we'd drill it, and then he'd show another similar technique.

After the third technique, I asked a question along the lines of "How do these techniques work with each other? Why would I do the third technique as opposed to the second or first technique? Is there some sort of defense or counter than the opponent is doing that would prompt you to switch between them?" Some of the others at the seminar nodded and indicated that it was a good question.

He didn't seem to speak any English at the time, so his translator and him went back and forth with each other for a good minute about the question. Then, he shoots me an annoyed look, says something in Portuguese, and the translator says something like "no, they are all just different berimbolo techniques."

I was hoping for a better explanation than that, as his answer made it seem like he was just showing a bunch of filler techniques than a methodical and sequential part of his game, which is what I wanted to attend the seminar to see. I'm curious if he's changed anything from then to now.

Really cool that he is speaking English now and adapting to life in the States. I first met the Miyaos in Brazil when they were blue belts, and they didn't speak a word of English, and I was unsure if they were going to be able to really make a life for themselves in NYC.

As far as adaptations for bigger guys who have a difficult time inverting, there wasn't anything like that.  I suck at inverting and struggled with some of the stuff he showed but still tried my best.

Regarding sequential order or chaining, not sure if this was emphasized though he did seem to start from the more basic techniques and progress to the more advanced inverted stuff.

Funny about his annoyed look to you. He did not come off as all that approachable yesterday when I saw him.  But I think it probably had to do with his English, having just competed at the World's, a lot of other people constantly coming up to him, and I guess his personality in general--seems more reserved and introverted.  At the same time, he turned down zero requests to roll with him and he seemed fine taking pictures with everybody who wanted one.

RobertKipness -
carcaju -

I saw that kid too. Has the exact same game and looks just like them. Phone Post 3.0
Thalison Soares from Cicero Costha. Think he's still a juvenile Phone Post 3.0

bmorela3 - 
RobertKipness -
carcaju -

Thalison Soares from Cicero Costha. Think he's still a juvenile Phone Post 3.0

That's the one.

"Ready...drill."

LOL, j/k.  I have great respect for people who are no-nonsense about their craft.  I remember when he was backstage at EBI.  He didn't talk, he didn't have anyone with him.  He just drilled and warmed up and competed.  No fucking around.

I didn't see Thalison Soares (yes, you guys are right, he's the mini Miyao) compete at World's, but while we were drilling techniques, he looked like one of the smoothest practitioners on the mat, despite being a blue belt and younger than most people there.

Another thing is that Joao simply did not get tired. I felt like there were some guys gunning for him, trying to look good in their rolling session against him and going balls to the wall. But I swear he took on all comers and never showed signs of slowing down.