Jacare DVD Review

After a quick look through both DVD's my reactions were, "This shit is awesome." And after going through them many times and breaking down each move and fitting it as best as i can into my game my reactions are still the same. Some moves are somewhat advanced, but the simplicity in them will help even the oldest black belt in the world. Overall, good stuff, but lacking No-Gi.
I give it a 10 out of 10 just for the takedowns and sweeps, but there is so much more to the DVD. You can get a good feel of it by just skimming through and watching quickly, but when you take the time to analyze it and adjust it into your arsenal, it will enhance your game tremendously.

-Cassavetes

I have been thinking about getting this for a while, thanks for the review.

Can you post a link to where to get this DVD?

You can get it at: www.bjjtapes.com

I also love this dvd because it shows you Jacare's game, and it also has a ton of his gi matches (and I mean a ton of his matches) so that you can see his BJJ in action.

jacares is the best sport bjj tape eva

Awesome, guys, thanks.

i have had nothing but good experiences with bjjtapes...peace...

john

as far as tape companies go bjjtapes is the best and wma close 2nd and if anyone wants good basic insturction cant go wrong with feitosas

Trust:

Have you tried playing those DVDs in differnt players or on a PC? I've never had those problems- I have the Jacare, Feitosa, and Mundial DVDs.

Trust:

You may have a DVD player that is one of the few rare ones. All the DVD's are glass mastered, so they should play on anything.

If you really have a problem just email me at totalxtreme@msn.com.

Thanks for the compliment.

I think people are seeing through the simplicity of Jacare's moves. His techniques comes from trial and error and work very efficiently. There is a reason why he does things, and he is probably one of the best technicians of the game.

2007 will be a good year for you guys.

Have had a bit of a Jacare Renaissance here in belfast-the aggressive guard passing and submissions have seriously changed my game.

It doesn't hurt that the dvd set has all of Jacares televised fights from brown belt.

I love this set.

Great passes against the butterfly/open guard. The cross gi choke I have been trying to perfect for awhile.

I agree with aggressive guard passing, and he changes his base when passing which has helped me alot.

Now guys are beginning to see why I put his fights on the DVD.

It was not for filler...ahem...that some producers have accused me of.

One of the craziest things I have seen in the BJJ world is the lack of practical and effective techniques. The hardest part of the game is execution. Executing techniques that will work in competition and when you roll.

BJJ is simple but takes experience because of the resistance when you train with your opponent. Nothing can substitute the time on the mats.

Jacare has changed my game as well.

Jacare DVD rules. It is good instructional.

Showed his game, what and why.

Margarida tapes SUCK. Bad instructional. Margarida holded back when doing his set. That is all.

edited due to boredom

when can we expect to see new DVDs from bjjtapes? It has been over a year now...

Let's put it this way.

If you could do all the techniques that Margarida teaches - really well. You would be one of the top BJJ fighters.

Well then why am I not one of the elite top BJJ fighters? I can do those techniques well.

Maybe it is the strategy I am lacking (what, why and when), response to various types of defence (oh yeah I am going to do this thing I learned from Margaridas DVD. Oh wait bah the guy knows it too and knows how to defend...), optimal chaining of techniques (oh so I got this pass going on but he is resisting so to which tech should switch in this particular situation), some details and "the pass" that where nowhere to see on Margaridas DVD.

yeah Jacare DVD's rock. Margaridas DVD's suck

It is really possible to learn stuff fom an instructional video and go out anc take position in a competition:

honorary mention to Mario Sperry. When i was white belt and when I had no instructor I just learned stuff from Sperrys video and went and competed in blue belt division as white belt. I ended up tapping out blu belts and taking 3rd place by doing techs Sperry taught and by using the strategies Sperry taught.

Why I did not win... Well he a guy was better than me and took me to a position and did things Sperry did not show on his DVD how to defend against so all I got left was to go all out spazz instead of using legit techniques. Spazzing got me tapped lol.

Anyway some thing's on Sauolo DVD are also pretty fishy. Sounded and looked fishy from get to go and despite of best efforts in drilling and training them... dont really seem to work at all against anyone from seasoned purple to black.

"Well then why am I not one of the elite top BJJ fighters? I can do those techniques well"

Doing it against world class competitors is the true test. And believe me, I really have seen very few fancy techniques when I see one world class guy go after another. There really is no room for error.

All the guys that I have filmed have their own small arsenal of techniques.Once someone counters all of them, then it is a match based on advantages. But, this is at a world class level.

I think in the end, just training a lot will give you what you need. People are looking for the magic pill in anything, and BJJ is no exception. Nothing substitutes for training IMHO.

I thought you were coming out with Margarida's 2nd set bc this 1st set sucked?

'some thing's on Sauolo DVD are also pretty fishy. Sounded and looked fishy from get to go and despite of best efforts in drilling and training them... dont really seem to work at all against anyone from seasoned purple to black.'

I think you mean to say that YOU can't get them to work on anyone above seasoned purple. I think Saulo's brother Xande would disagree with you! :)