Jake Paul 'early CTE signs' a troll? Regulatory implications possible?

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is an irreversible progressive neurodegenerative disease linked to repeated head trauma. Combative sports and collision sports have strong ties to the disease.

Today, YouTuber turned celebrity boxer Jake Paul stated that he has “early signs” of the disease.

The reality is if any athlete has CTE they are not fit to be licensed for professional boxing. The question now is whether Paul has a sincere reason for his statement or whether he is trolling for attention. If the former, the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission, which is regulating Paul’s imminent boxing bout with retired wrestler and MMA athlete Ben Askren, has some serious review to do.

As reported by BloodyElbow’s Zane Simon, Paul stated that “I’ve gone and gotten brain scans and have early signs of CTE.

CTE is not formally diagnosed by brain scan. It is in fact only formally diagnosed after death by examining the brain tissue directly. That said, CTE can be medically suspected in the living.

It is unclear what “brain scans” Paul is referring to. Georgia requires very little by way of neurological examination for licensing.

The Association of Boxing Commissions summarizes Georgia’s medical requirements as follows:

1. Blood Work: HIV, Hepatitis B Surface Antigen, Hepatitis C Antibody. Blood work is valid for 180 days.
  2. Physical: All fighters must submit a physical administered by a licensed M.D. orD.O. Physicals are valid for 180 days.
  3. Eye Exam: An eye exam administered by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
  4. EKG: Required only if the doctor asks for one.
  5. Radiological Exams: None at this time.
  6. Neurology: Not at this time. Changes will be made in the near future.
  7. Urinalysis: Not at this time.
  8. Female Fighters: Female fighters must submit a pregnancy test at the weigh-in or later.
  9. Older Fighters: Fighters 37 and over must pass an ophthalmological eye exam administered by a licensed ophthalmologist, a neurological exam administered by a licensed neurologist, and a comprehensive cardiovascular exam administered by a licensed physician.
  10. Additional Requirements: None at this time.

More specifically, under Georgia Rule 85-1.04 the State can require neurological examination but this is limited to boxers who “who have competed in over 200 rounds during their professional career” which Paul has not. The full section reads as follows:

All boxers intending to compete in Georgia who have competed in over 200 rounds during their professional career, according to the number of rounds disclosed on such boxer’s official ring record, and prior to competing in Georgia, must submit to the commission the results of a detailed neurological examination performed within the previous twelve months by a board certified and state licensed neurologist. Such examination shall include a careful examination for signs of any trauma induced neurological damage along with any other specific test or tests requested by the neurologist. Any boxer not submitting said results prior to the match may be allowed to compete provided however that such boxer’s license will, at the conclusion of the match, be medically suspended until such time as his neurological examination requirement is fulfilled.

Depsite the limited neurological testing, Georgia does require boxers to answer the following question in the licence applicaiton forms

Do you have any current medical conditions?”

A false answer is “GROUNDS FOR LICENSE REVOCATION AND OR OTHER APPLICABLE LEGAL PENALTIES

The question is, did Paul disclose this medical condition to authorities? If so are they ok with the bout proceeding? If not, is Paul’s license in jeopardy?

I caught that too and thought it was weird, maybe trying to get out of the fight?

I listened to that interview…the guy is stupid.

“I want to make history with historic fights”

“I’m just a fighter”

“I’m just an entrepreneur”

I just wanted to say fuck #9. 37 is not old😭

3 Likes

I don’t buy that bullshit for a minute.

Lol! Boom, roasted.

Early signs of being a moron mayb, dont kno how anybody could like this douche, I could give a shit about him boxing a wrestler, hopefully a fighter checks him in the street, c how much shit he talks then

2 Likes

He has now retracted his comments. Claims he ‘misspoke’. Presumably the regulator approached him and said WTF.

2 Likes

I was expecting that if anything came of this, he would just tell the commission “I was just kidding” and that would be the end of it.

His description sounds fabricated, which is certainly not out of character for him.

1 Like

This douche keeps finding new ways to make us hate him. I didn’t think it was possible, but here we are.

This the guy that just had the sexual assault allegations made against him? If so, he probably was going to pin it on CTE making him do it.

1 Like

Part of his sexual assault defense

2 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing

1 Like

WOLF TICKETS

Good point, never thought of that angle

Plot twist: There was no sexual assault.

1 Like

very well could be

2 Likes