James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano)

How did he die of a heart attack?

There are people out there who outweigh him and are like blob fat, small shoulders, no shape. I know he was not exactly a varsity athlete but he was not bloated fat either. He had a massive frame, carried his weight like a boss and was a big man but he was not like a dough fat.

So do people who are built like blobs live to 70 and 80 and James Gandolfini died so relatively young.

What are you suggesting?

An elite Italian soccer player named Astori just died in his sleep at the age of 31.

Shit happens.

My Dad had zero health problem and wasn’t overweight. He died of a heart attack in 2016. He was dead by the time he hit the floor. 

Genetics played a huge part obviously, as I said in another thread a coworker who's 35 had to get stents due to a blockage of his widowmaker artery. He has a good diet, avid runner, normal weight. He doesn't drink, smoke, or use drugs.

But James always had a big belly, which is basically the worst spot for heart disease.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313130.php

But yah, whatever James vices were are nothing compared to Artie Lange for instance who's still kicking.

I wonder when James last had a full medical, imo anyone over 40 should have one every year.

Bad luck, genetics, maybe an unhealthy lifestyle did it. It was his time I suppose

ProteinOverdrive -

There are people out there who outweigh him and are like blob fat, small shoulders, no shape. I know he was not exactly a varsity athlete but he was not bloated fat either. He had a massive frame, carried his weight like a boss and was a big man but he was not like a dough fat.

So do people who are built like blobs live to 70 and 80 and James Gandolfini died so relatively young.

He was obese and had a huge solid belly, which is a marker for heart disease more than most other types of fat.

“I’ll call Columbo”

It seems like JG was getting fatter each season on The Sopranos I just rewatched the whole series and he wasn’t so fat in season one big, yeah but not such a big gut like he did in the final seasons. 

It was well known that he was straight up Italian with his diet and most likely consumed lots and lots EVOO, which is one of the most heart healthy things you can consume. So if I had to venture a guess, I would imagine it was not his diet that caused it and probably something else. Or it could just have been a freak heart attack out of the blue. Not that he was the picture of health, but tons of people that appear to be the picture of health die of sudden heart attacks and that happens multiple times every year. Maybe we will never know.

Had a friend in high school who never even  drank, was an super athlete. Had a heart attack at 22

https://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/wp-content/uploads/james_gandolfini_alcohol.jpg

A picture of perfect health. A total mystery. 

turducken -

https://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/wp-content/uploads/james_gandolfini_alcohol.jpg

Dude, there are people who need a scooter to get around and they don't get heart attacks.

ProteinOverdrive -

He gained like 80lbs over the course of the show.

ProteinOverdrive -
turducken -

Dude, there are people who need a scooter to get around and they don't get heart attacks.

His build is an especially strong marker for heart problems, moreso than generally fat blobs.  That big fat solid gut, bad news.

Heystro - 
IHeartBoobies -

It was well known that he was straight up Italian with his diet and most likely consumed lots and lots EVOO, which is one of the most heart healthy things you can consume. So if I had to venture a guess, I would imagine it was not his diet that caused it and probably something else. Or it could just have been a freak heart attack out of the blue. Not that he was the picture of health, but tons of people that appear to be the picture of health die of sudden heart attacks and that happens multiple times every year. Maybe we will never know.

What is EVOO?

Extra virgin olive oil

You really never know. It doesn't matter if you get 1000 physicals a year. When your number is up, your number is up. He did have the "heart attack belly", but lots of people have that and never have a heart attack.