James “Strabanimal” Gallagher:Good, Bad, The Ugly

http://severemma.com/2021/02/james-strabanimal-gallagher-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

July 2016, James “Strabanimal” broke into the worldwide stage when he debuted in Bellator, a brash, good looking and charismatic fighter who had already developed a following in his home country came out the gates fast; and began to establish himself as not just a fighter on the rise, but a potential superstar. Much like SBG stablemate, Conor McGregor, the young man was polarizing, exciting and looking to be every bit as dominant as he was bold and brash;  but a crushing loss to Ricky Bandejas, derailed that momentum. And while Gallagher has found his way back to the victory circle, every win he picks up has inspired as much concern as it has confidence. Every opponent he has defeated has created just as many questions as answers. So today I am going to do an in-depth look at “Strabanimal”, exploring the good, the bad and the ugly of his physical tools, fighting camp and star power.

1 Like

Lol @ Wal-Mart McGregor, fuck that guy. Seeing him get starched is one of my favorite Bellator moments ever.

3 Likes

I don’t know how good he is or will be, but I do know that “Strabanimal” is right up there with some of the most retarded nicknames I’ve ever heard. 

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Zu2Ic73dAn4

1 Like
MasterofMartialArts - 

I don’t know how good he is or will be, but I do know that “Strabanimal” is right up there with some of the most retarded nicknames I’ve ever heard. 

Agreed.  I have no idea what it means.

I do like him though.

1 Like

Him and O'Malley would be a fun fight.

That Bandejas KO was some savage justice but he took it like a champ. I remember he did his planned interview with Ariel on that Monday's show and handled it with A lot of fighters would've bailed on that. 

Ricky has been up and down since but like James he's crazy young and big things could await him.

1 Like

Ricky has faced killers since then tho. Not

James.

When you are supposed to lose in bellator & you piss them off by winning they reward you by giving you strait killers.

Whether it’s pico, Gallagher or anyone.

They’ll get you smashed if you have the gall to beat the rising star.

On a SideNote -
MasterofMartialArts - 

Agreed.  I have no idea what it means.

I do like him though.

He is from Strabane in Ireland. So his nickname cleverly suggests that he is an animal from that barely known place. Perfect nickname for a popular local fighter who never fights outside his home town

2 Likes
MasterofMartialArts -

You have to know the origin of the name. I'm from that town and the Strabanimal moniker came from our ability to out party any other town in Ireland. I use to run gigs in Strabane and brought bands from all over Ireland and some from the UK and none of them could keep up with us so the name isn't specifically for him, he just adopted it 

2 Likes
Johnzandt -
MasterofMartialArts -

You have to know the origin of the name. I'm from that town and the Strabanimal moniker came from our ability to out party any other town in Ireland. I use to run gigs in Strabane and brought bands from all over Ireland and some from the UK and none of them could keep up with us so the name isn't specifically for him, he just adopted it 

bah, fair play to you. fuck my post^^ no disrespect intended to the good people of Strabane

1 Like
mindless optimism -
Johnzandt -
MasterofMartialArts -

bah, fair play to you. fuck my post^^ no disrespect intended to the good people of Strabane

Haha no worries dude, I've called the 'boys' off. 

haha yeah when you didn't call me a cunt, I thought, fuck me this geezer's serious lol

Big jump up in competition for Gallagher in his next fight. Reports say he'll fight Patchy Mix at Bellator 258 in May at Mohegan Sun. Main event for that card is the Archuleta vs. Pettis title fight. 

Gallagher has supposedly been training for a while at Glory MMA, rather than SBG Ireland. If he continues to train there until the fight, it will be interesting to see who's in his corner: James Krause or John Kavanagh. 

Gallagher has 9 subs in 11 wins. Patchy has 9 subs in 13 wins. 

Universally - 

Big jump up in competition for Gallagher in his next fight. Reports say he'll fight Patchy Mix at Bellator 258 in May at Mohegan Sun. Main event for that card is the Archuleta vs. Pettis title fight. 

Gallagher has supposedly been training for a while at Glory MMA, rather than SBG Ireland. If he continues to train there until the fight, it will be interesting to see who's in his corner: James Krause or John Kavanagh. 

Something will happen and the opponent will be changed so he can fight another bum.

Universally - 

He’s most likely training there since Ireland is still locked down so no gyms are open at the moment.

WCW McGreggor fights plumbers and DPD drivers. Goes a step up and gets sweet chin music into oblivion.

Bellator used him for Conor fame

1 Like

the best thing working w/krause will provide is a better caliber of sparring partner; in regards to diff looks, levels of athleticism and skillsets…

at SBG the depth in approach and level of fighter seems fairly shallow…

if anything i hope gallagher wrestling improves, and his ability to transition btwn ranges…

He bails everytime he’s supposed to face a ranked fighter…least he can do is show up for the interview. Askren did the same exact thing right after the Masvidal fight except Ben didn’t go back to fighting cans.

2 Likes

You mean they give guys coming off big wins ranked opponents? I’m shocked.