Going to Akihabara Tokyo 9th of March with my daughter for a graduation gift. I know there’s a thread, but I just want a few helpful tips on, cash exchange easiest way if exploring, restaurants , ramen, fish etc. Booked it awhile back, and transportation to hotel is provided.
Just don’t want any surprises, eat ramen, fresh fish, drink a “responsible” amount of alcohol, and keep my first born child happy.
She he is a big anime fan, and we will be visiting a college there that she might attend after her first semester of college.
* rent a portable wifi at the airport - Haneda airport is good, it's closer to Tokyo than Narita. I used this with my smartphone for internet access and google maps, google search, google translate, WhatsApp etc.
* google maps will tell you how to get around on public transit(revolutionary, yeah I know)
* get the SUICA smart card used as a fare card on train lines in Japan. You can get it at any train station for a deposit - which can you can get back before you leave
* Most American/Canadian bank cards will work at ATMs which you can find in every convenience store - 7/11, Lawsons, Familymart, or any department mall. The fee isn't too bad for my bank at least. You will want some Yen cash on you because not all places will take credit cards.
* vending machines are everywhere, do try as many drinks as possible
* if you have a laptop charger with 3 pins, you will need to get an adapter - either the hotel will lend you one or you can buy it at 7/11 or Bic Camera electronic shop for 500 yen - $5