Japan trip?

Going to Akihabara Tokyo 9th of March with my daughter for a graduation gift.  I know there’s a thread, but I just want a few helpful tips on, cash exchange easiest way if exploring, restaurants , ramen, fish etc.  Booked it awhile back, and transportation to hotel is provided.

Just don’t want any surprises, eat ramen,  fresh fish, drink a “responsible” amount of alcohol, and keep my first born child happy.

She he is a big anime fan, and we will be visiting a college there that she might attend after her first semester of college.

I didn't use much cash.   Credit card works everywhere.  Having some on hand might be good, depending on what you like to buy.

Definitely go up the Skytree. The views are amazing

While it's not traditional Japanese, the New York Grill was a fantastic meal.  It's the restaurant featured in Lost in Translation

Sushi at the Tsukiji Fish Market is pretty great.

Roppongi is pretty fun, but beware of the Nigerians. I realize this sounds racist, but it's not. Basically they're hired to be go-betweens the clubs and peopel that are obviously foreigners. They'll try to hustle you to places, and some of those places are not where you want to be.  Lots of scams 

Not sure when the season starts, but if possible try to see a baseball game.  Honestly hte most fun baseball game I've ever been at.  Each batter has their own song, music is played constantly, and the beer girls are super cute with kegs strapped to their backs.  

Shouldn't be all that different from TN, RF.

Sounds like you are a great father, and it is paying off

I just got back from Tokyo last week. Credit cards are hit-or-miss. It’s still, surprisingly, a cash society. There were numerous restaurants and shops I had to leave because they didn’t take plastic. Bring yen with you just to be sure. You can always exchange it back when you get home.

I second the baseball. Watched it in the Tokyo Dome. The beer girls are super cute. Each team has a band in the crowd and only play when their team is batting.

The post offices have ATMs that you can use your bank card at (well, it worked 10 years ago).

Get a map of the subway and stick with that. Best and cheapest way to get around. I'm sure someone has a youtube video on how to use the subway tickets. Make the Yamanote line your base (does s circle around Tokyo) and you won't ever get lost.

Akihabara is fun. Sensoji Temple in Asakusa is nearby. Oldest temple in Tokyo (I think) and the entrance is lined with small venders. See if they're having an event when you are there and go.

She would likely enjoy Harajuku. Meiji Shrine is in the middle of a large park right next it. Both are great stops on a nice day. Sunday used to be the big cosplay day which she would love. Take pictures with everyone dressed up.

You might be there when cherry blossoms start to bloom. Great time of year, the parks look beautiful.

Restaurant wise, I loved jumping into random small places and just getting stuff. If you prefer to do research ahead of time I usually go by Michelan reviews. https://www.eater.com/2017/11/28/16709504/tokyo-michelin-stars-guide-2018

Every 7-11 there has an ATM that takes foreign cards.  Aside from exchanging a small amount at the airport when I land to have pocket money, I've never exchanged cash in Japan.  The ATM fees work out to be less that exchange fees and the rate is generally better too.  

all i know is that my friends just got back and were able to book a reservation with that Jiro does sushi guy and other top japanese chefs

it can be done, you just have to go through your hotel concierge

Great country.  Always have cash on hand.  Eat everything you can get your hands on except for the chicken sashimi.  Family Mart will be your best friend.

Have a great time. 

baseball looks like fun, and it looks like the season starts in a couple days. Do I need to purchase ahead or pick up in Tokyo?

We're staying at APA Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho Tower. Breakfast looks ok, but I'm willing to hike a little for an interesting meal. Do they eat fish for breakfast?

ttt

beekman - 

I just got back from Tokyo last week. Credit cards are hit-or-miss. It’s still, surprisingly, a cash society. There were numerous restaurants and shops I had to leave because they didn’t take plastic. Bring yen with you just to be sure. You can always exchange it back when you get home.

$500 enough walking around cash for 6 days? I'm not going to any Michelin star restaurants. I'll have a cc.

reelfoot - We're staying at APA Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho Tower. Breakfast looks ok, but I'm willing to hike a little for an interesting meal. Do they eat fish for breakfast?

They don't really have specific breakfast foods like we do in the US, so they'll eat fish any time of day.  There are tons of fantastic bakeries in Tokyo, so I usually just grabbed something from one of those when I went out in the morning.  Also, their convenience stores in Japan are God tier.  Fresh foods, like sushi or bento boxes, are delivered multiple times a day and are really tasty.  If I didn't hit a bakery for breakfast, I'd hit 7-11 and grab a couple onigiri (rice balls) instead.  They're usually filled with meat or veggies and are great on the go snacks

reelfoot -
beekman - 

$500 enough walking around cash for 6 days? I'm not going to any Michelin star restaurants. I'll have a cc.

$500 in Yen should be good. You’ll only need it for mom & pop shops, some restaurants, and the occasional taxi that doesn’t take credit cards. If you’re looking to go hog-wild on souvenirs, adjust accordingly.

Spider Rico - 

Great country.  Always have cash on hand.  Eat everything you can get your hands on except for the chicken sashimi.  Family Mart will be your best friend.

Have a great time. 

family mart is fan fucking tastic

Breakfast is typically the most disappointing meal of the day for me when I am in Japan.

thats a perfectly reasonable statement.  Coffee in the am, then pre lunch then lunch then dinner then midnight dinner lol.  The food is insane out of this world in japan

Wanna go back to asia so bad.   The freakin long ass flight always deters me.  Maybe this year do a Singapore Japan or Korea trip 

reelfoot - 

Going to Akihabara Tokyo 9th of March with my daughter for a graduation gift.  I know there’s a thread, but I just want a few helpful tips on, cash exchange easiest way if exploring, restaurants , ramen, fish etc.  Booked it awhile back, and transportation to hotel is provided.

Just don’t want any surprises, eat ramen,  fresh fish, drink a “responsible” amount of alcohol, and keep my first born child happy.

She he is a big anime fan, and we will be visiting a college there that she might attend after her first semester of college.

* rent a portable wifi at the airport - Haneda airport is good, it's closer to Tokyo than Narita. I used this with my smartphone for internet access and google maps, google search, google translate, WhatsApp etc.

* google maps will tell you how to get around on public transit(revolutionary, yeah I know)

* get the SUICA smart card used as a fare card on train lines in Japan. You can get it at any train station for a deposit - which can you can get back before you leave

* Most American/Canadian bank cards will work at ATMs which you can find in every convenience store - 7/11, Lawsons, Familymart, or any department mall. The fee isn't too bad for my bank at least. You will want some Yen cash on you because not all places will take credit cards.

* vending machines are everywhere, do try as many drinks as possible

* if you have a laptop charger with 3 pins, you will need to get an adapter - either the hotel will lend you one or you can buy it at 7/11 or Bic Camera electronic shop for 500 yen - $5