Japanese necktie question

We were discussing this at the gym this morning. Would I be DQ'ed using this in an IBJJF no gi tournament?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DGnvi-uxU Phone Post 3.0

You should not be DQ'd for using it, as it's considered a variation of an arm triangle, and in the rules you can crank the neck, as long as it's a secondary aspect to a choke. Out of all the arm triangle variations, I think the J-necktie is probably the hardest to consistently produce a clean blood choke. But you're talking tournaments, so a tap is a tap.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the J-necktie, and I think the darce/brabo is a stronger option in terms of variety/ease of setups and finishing positions. I also can't think of many situations where you could get a Japanese necktie but not get a brabo, unless you have can't get the RNC grip due to the shortest of t-rex arms, but even then, there are ways around that.

At the same time, I think people should do what works for them, and there's no one way to do things, so if it works for you I'd say keep doing it. Good luck in the tournament!

I have the T. Rex arms.... :( Phone Post 3.0

Isn't it just a regular 3/4 nelson with a leg ride?

The Mat Pimp - Isn't it just a regular 3/4 nelson with a leg ride?

In addition to immense pressure on the opponents head folding it sideways and down.

A lot of people feel safe in bottom half guard like they can't get darce'd from that position, so it is a good attack, even if you don't finish it can really help setup the Mendes rolling anaconda series or just avoid having to try and pass a tricky half guard.

I generally like it. A lot of teams still don't even understand it, so you still get some surprise factor out of it atm at tournemts.

Yes you can do it any time you could also do a darce, but without as much work as a darce. I think that's actually a strength of the move. It's like putting a cheat button on your darce situations. Phone Post 3.0

FreestyleJJ - I generally like it. A lot of teams still don't even understand it, so you still get some surprise factor out of it atm at tournemts.

Yes you can do it any time you could also do a darce, but without as much work as a darce. I think that's actually a strength of the move. It's like putting a cheat button on your darce situations. Phone Post 3.0

Really? I can think of a good dozen darce setups that don't involve a 3/4 nelson/vie grip which is almost necessary for a JNT, right?

Once you get the 3/4 nelson deep enough for the JNT, is it really that hard to go the the RNC grip? Maybe so. I'm trying to understand the JNT love, I really am.

Besides all the setups I can think of that don't involve the vice grip (3/4 nelson) the other big advantage of the darce is that you can "chase it" everywhere to finish it. You can finish it from top side, top half, full mount, knee on belly, you can slide under and finish it off your back/side, bottom half, closed guard. If you're finishing it from your side you can run back to the top. If you're on top you can roll to the bottom. The loop is pretty much endless.

If you're confident in your ability to keep strong shoulder to shoulder pressure then you can take it anywhere to finish it. To me a fundamental factor of a really strong and high percentage finish is your ability to finish it anywhere, or at least from both the top and bottom. So Marcelo will chase down that guillotine anywhere he has to go. Rafa Mendes chased Cobrinha all over the mat to finish that armbar.

I can't think of many common/high percentage finishes that can't be finished from at least a couple different spots. The JNT seems like it can only be finished from the top by locking one or both legs and falling to the side?

I know I'm arguing, but I'm not trying to be hostile. I don't know much about it. Are there any instructionals or matches you'd recommend? I do know it's powerful and hurts like a bitch. I've been put in it and it comes on fast.