Jarrod Wyatt Pleads Insanity in Grisly Murder

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007940-504083.html

Jarrod Wyatt, MMA Fighter, Pleads Insanity in Grisly Murder

Jarrod Wyatt (Del Norte County Sheriff's Dept.)
CRESCENT CITY, Calif. (CBS/AP) Jarrod Wyatt, charged with murdering his sparring partner and accused of allegedly removing his friend's heart, tongue and most of his face has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

Wyatt's attorney says his client entered the plea last week in Del Norte County Superior Court after consulting medical experts.

The 26-year-old mixed martial arts fighter faces charges of murder, aggravated mayhem and torture in the death of 21-year-old Taylor Powell.

Sheriff's deputies say they found Wyatt naked and bloody on March 21. Powell's body was on a couch next to him with an 18-inch incision in the chest and most of the face removed.

Wyatt was apparently convinced that the world was about to end and that Powell was the Devil, according to the Times-Standard.

"Satan was in that dude," Wyatt allegedly told Del Norte County Police Sgt. Elwood Lee, who responded to the scene.

Lee told the northern California paper that Wyatt also cooked Powell's severed body parts in a wood stove because he thought Powell was still alive.

Witnesses at a preliminary hearing said Wyatt and Powell had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms. According to his lawyer, Wyatt suffered a psychotic breakdown because of the drugs.

"My client was trying to silence the devil," Wyatt's defense attorney James Fallman told the Times-Standard.

There have been some crazy stories tied to mma but this one is going to be hard to beat.

Well if he was just silencing the devil...

If that's not street, i don't know what is.

-doug-

I believe that there are some churches that believe Wyatt did the right thing. Churches hate satan.

Proper punishment aside, I think insanity is accurate in this scenario. There is no way on earth any sane individual could have perpetuated and followed through with such an action. Unlike typical insanity cases, the fact he took a narcotic known for its hallucinogenic properties should disqualify him from receiving a sentence consistent with said cases.

I'm not sure how the law varies from state to state, but I was under the impression that an insanity defense was not appropriate for someone who was under the influence of drugs which they knowingly took.

lotta sickos and cannibals in northern california

jacktripper - lotta sickos and cannibals in northern california

Zombies too.

nthead - Zombies too.

yeah, and most of 'em vote...

Which comes first, the lame Rob Zombie song or the Affliction shirt?