Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald retires

This was just posted on Twitter.

One of Canada's greats has officially called it a career, as Jason MacDonald tells sportsnet.ca he's retiring from MMA.

Sucks to hear.  Jason was always one of my favorite fighters.  Whenever a friend would say grappling in MMA is boring I would just show them MacDonald/Maia and that would quickly change their minds.  Great pioneer for Canadian MMA.  I guess he'll probably go back to being a prison gaurd.

I always liked his fights, just seemed like he could never get on a roll.

Big fan of Jason

dwc - 

I saw his fight against maia live. Was really great. I thought he retired a long time ago though? Phone Post

He had wanted to fight on the next Calgary card, but I guess either something happened with him getting injured or something, or maybe the card is a lot later then he had planned.

ghost842 - I always liked his fights, just seemed like he could never get on a roll.

He was one fight away from a possible shot at Anderson early in his career in the UFC.  Came in as the MFC champ, took out Herman and Leben with nice subs, and then was put up against Rich Franklin.  His first 3 losses in the UFC came against guys who have competed for or held the belt.  Franklin, Okami and Maia.   I think one of the biggest problems with him is they fed that Franklin fight to him a little early.  That's such a big jump from Leben, especially, Leben back then.

TTT.

Jason MacDonald is a fucking warrior. I have had the pleasure if meeting him several times and the dude is all class. Best of luck to him and his gym up in Red Deer (Pure Fitness).

Also, I would love to see the UFC allow him an opportunity to come out of retirement to fight in front of his home province in Calgary. Come on Joe Silva, throw the man a bone for all of the good service to the organization, taking last minute fights to fill in for injured fighters, and putting on multiple 'of the night bonus' caliber performances. 

Good guy!

Awesome fighter. He proved all he needed to. Phone Post

Good guy, and really talented.  Had the honor to ref him vs. Joe Doerkson up in WInnipeg back in the day.  Hope he has success in whatever he does in the future.

Respectfully:

Fred

Man, what a great fighter. I wish him the best. Isn't he almost 40? Phone Post

His fights were always fun to watch. Solid fighter. Best of luck to him. Phone Post

TtT  Mods we should get a stick for a few hours on this

Always a fan. He had a nice run at one point there. I've always heard that his development was seriously impacted because he never trained at a better camp. I suspect some if not all the reason was because he held down a full time job. In alot of ways that makes him more impressive to me.

He was a gamer for sure, and always came off like a classy dude.

The Athlete always came to fight. Wasn't scared to lose. Thanks Jason. Phone Post

grafzep - Always a fan. He had a nice run at one point there. I've always heard that his development was seriously impacted because he never trained at a better camp. I suspect some if not all the reason was because he held down a full time job. In alot of ways that makes him more impressive to me.

Yeah, I remember reading his leave of absence that he took at work recently expired as well (think he took a 3 year leave) .  But yeah, I think him and his wife also own a Crossfit gym in Red Deer.

quality fighter

Thanks for the great fights Jason! All the best for the future!

he was my favorite Ginger fighter