Javi vs Eddie Bravo would be cool

misterw -
JoejitsuMD - You will never see Eddie test himself against anyone other than Royler. He has spent too much time building off that one match and wouldn't risk losing his myth. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know about that -- he certainly risked losing his myth by doing the rematch. That was taking a big chance. If he lost that, the amount of shit talking about 10th planet would have gone up 100 fold.
This!
I like JoejitsuMD but make no mistake he is very critical of Eddie Bravo, almost comically so. Phone Post 3.0

He risked everything by taking that match. People would have excommunicated him from the community if he got his ass kicked Phone Post 3.0

^^If he lost, it SHOULDN'T have devalued his original win; they're both very different grapplers now. But that's assuming people looked at it logically, which, even on this message board wasn't the case. If he lost convincingly, his first fight would have been labeled a fluke by a lot of people.

I think if he looked bad in his rematch, if he was dominated, it would have really hurt his business.

UGCTT_Fillthy -
checkuroil - He risked everything by taking that match. People would have excommunicated him from the community if he got his ass kicked Phone Post 3.0

Really? All his schools would have closed, no one would have believed in his system?

sorry, bro. That's crazy talk. 10P gyms are doing very well in no-gi competitions, and while it would have given a talking point to the haters, it wouldn't have had impact on the believers.
It wouldn't happen over night but slowly people would stop asking to affiliate with him. His growth would stagnate. Then, some of his gyms would create dual affiliations and move towards the other affiliation. Phone Post 3.0

Gumby - There is a possibility of Javi vs Baret Yoshida in a no time limit submission only match going down this summer....
I'd like to see Javi vs BJ no gi Phone Post 3.0

Javi

The one issue with Eddie is that he places way too much emphasis on losing.

Keenan said in a recent interview that in BJJ the best part about competing is that no one cares when you lose. People talk about the winner, not who lost.

I agree. Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil -
UGCTT_Fillthy -
checkuroil - He risked everything by taking that match. People would have excommunicated him from the community if he got his ass kicked Phone Post 3.0

Really? All his schools would have closed, no one would have believed in his system?

sorry, bro. That's crazy talk. 10P gyms are doing very well in no-gi competitions, and while it would have given a talking point to the haters, it wouldn't have had impact on the believers.
It wouldn't happen over night but slowly people would stop asking to affiliate with him. His growth would stagnate. Then, some of his gyms would create dual affiliations and move towards the other affiliation. Phone Post 3.0
Over a competition loss?

No way man, you guys think everything hinges on comp results?

You know why Megaton is respected by the entire community? Because he competes, win or lose. No one cares that he's lost a ton of matches, just that he is a true guerreiro. Phone Post 3.0

How big is megatons network. Phone Post 3.0

Josh Mancuso -
checkuroil -
UGCTT_Fillthy -

Over a competition loss?

No way man, you guys think everything hinges on comp results?

You know why Megaton is respected by the entire community? Because he competes, win or lose. No one cares that he's lost a ton of matches, just that he is a true guerreiro. Phone Post 3.0

But Megaton teaches a more traditional style of BJJ I think? Part of Eddie's deal is that his system is unique, so a loss might be seen as a failure of his system and not just him. No saying I think it would or wouldn't make a difference for his schools, just a thought in how it might be perceived differently for him than for a more straightforward BJJ guy losing to another. Phone Post

checkuroil - I think Royce should represent the martial art his family invented and have a bjj match with Eddie. Phone Post 3.0

I think Eddie should do an MMA fight to back claims that his grappling system is best for MMA.

Doesn't he say that's the whole reason training no gi is better?

Eddie will always do well because he's a great Jiu Jitsu player/teacher. But most importantly because he is a good leader and a positive person. I truly feel that a competition loss would not have harmed him, I honestly think his 10 years of not competing raised more questions and hurt him more than a few losses would have. Phone Post 3.0

rydney -
Easters - 
UGCTT_Fillthy - yes.

one of our 3 weekly classes is against a striking opponent.

Martial Art.

Martial: adjective
of or appropriate to war; warlike.
Just stop. You're talking to a guy who trains with Octavio and Romulo on the hegular. Phone Post 3.0

I need to start training with these guys so I can be presumed right about everything I say on internet forums. That's worth the monthly gym fee right there.

It's not that. It's the fact that filthy was insinuating that CUO is training wrong Phone Post 3.0

I took no offense Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_Fillthy -
Easters - 
rydney -
Easters - 
UGCTT_Fillthy - yes.

one of our 3 weekly classes is against a striking opponent.

Martial Art.

Martial: adjective
of or appropriate to war; warlike.
Just stop. You're talking to a guy who trains with Octavio and Romulo on the hegular. Phone Post 3.0

I need to start training with these guys so I can be presumed right about everything I say on internet forums. That's worth the monthly gym fee right there.

It's not that. It's the fact that filthy was insinuating that CUO is training wrong Phone Post 3.0

LoL - bro, you gotta share what you're smoking. I thought the 10P guys had the best shit, but I guess I was wrong. I think (I hope) CUO knows that I respect him as a person, and like him as a poster on an semi-anonymous message board.

I was pointing out that a martial art definitely includes striking. CUO said that Royce should represent his father's MARTIAL ART in a 'bjj match'. Royce is a superb representative of his father's martial art, a martial art which focuses on striking. Asking him to represent a martial art by participating in a sportive bjj match is silly. You might as well ask him to represent GJJ with a game of checkers.
Lol it's silly? So every bjj match a gracie competed is silly and doesn't count for anything? Phone Post 3.0

I believe Javi stopped by the gym within a couple weeks after Metamoris

UGCTT_Fillthy - martial art = vale tudo/striking
bjj match = sport

you can't represent a martial art by participating in a sport. Royce represented his martial art when he walked in to a dojo and offered to fight anyone under any rules. That's a martial artist. He didn't walk in to a dojo and challenge them to a game.

fencing is a sportive adaptation of a martial art, but fencing is not a martial art. Olympic Judo is a sportive adaptation of the marital art of Judo, but Olympic Judo is not a martial art.
Jesus christ Phone Post 3.0

Javi wins this match every time under any rule set.

I'm sure Eddie knows this too. They are friends, I don't see Eddie accepting this because he has nothing to gain pretty much also because he wouldn't look good against Javi.

Don't mean to sound down on Eddie, because I buy his books and watch his videos and absolutely respect his jiujitsu...but Javi's style is the worst style for Eddie to face.

Many of Helio's matches were closer to sport BJJ rules than Vale Tudo.
According to the Choque book at least....