Javier Mendez talks Fight Factory show & Koscheck

CageJunkies Exclusive: Team AKA Coach Javier Mendez talks Fight Factory, Koscheck and more…

August 15th at 10PM marks the two hour debut of Fight Factory on NuvoTV. The show hopes to allow viewers to step inside champion-making MMA coach Javier Mendez’s American Kickboxing Academy and Josh Koscheck’s Dethrone Base Camp and witness the grueling training, unguarded candid moments and solid-as-brass brotherhood that comes with chasing the American dream in a sport that can turn a college wresting hero into a globally-respected MMA superstar overnight.

We caught up with Mendez and discussed the show, the personal conflict between himself and Koscheck that threatened the bond of one of the greatest teams of MMA athletes to ever hit the mat and more.

Even with shows like Countdown to UFC following fighters leading up to big bouts, the Fight Factory premise is unique in that it goes behind the scenes of the Team AKA camp over a much longer period of time. With the very real possibility of the camera capturing the camp not only during their high’s, but also during their lows it was a decision of both the fighters and management to let the camera’s in. “It was the team and management. [Fight Factory] were looking for a fight team to see what goes on behind the scenes before these fighters get to the big shows, basically what goes on with management, fighters, trainers and the whole bit. It was definitely something everyone was interested in doing. So when they came to us, as we were one of the gyms we were looking at, it was a natural fit that we would want to be involved.”

Although Team AKA is no stranger to the UFC camera crews with Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and more among their high profile fighters, having them there for a longer period of time could have caused some concerns during training, but it wasn’t the case at all. “The film crew pretty much stayed out of the way,” Mendez explained. “There were a couple of little situations here and there, but so minute, that there is nothing to speak of. Business as usual they never got in the way.”

One issue that arose during the filming of Fight Factory was the defection of Josh Koscheck who had trained at AKA since 2006. Koscheck took to the internet in February blaming Mendez for his departure going so far as to claim that it was a mix of ego, too many cameras in the gym and attempts to build himself and the AKA brand which caused the rift. Mendez has refused to provide his version of the events that led to Koscheck’s departure instead telling fans to watch the show to find out. But it was difficult even for Mendez to ignore Koscheck’s wish that the AKA gym burn to the ground.

“When I heard it, I just kind of laughed. The guy is who he is. You can’t change who that person is. There are good guys and there are bad guys, and he is just a bad guy,” Mendez said. “That is all there is to it. He is not a good person. He is a good person when he wants something that benefits him, but when he doesn’t he’s the bad guy. That’s who he is.”

And although Mendez and Koscheck have had their troubles, Mendez has no problem with fighters from his gym training with Koscheck at Dethrone Base Camp. “Yeah some of the guys go over there and support him. They are always going to be friends. The beef he has is really stupid because it’s not with AKA, it’s with me. His issue is with me, not with any of the fighters there. But he’s throwing the gym in a situation where he shouldn’t because some of the guys that didn’t have a problem with him are starting to think differently about him,” Mendez elaborated. “Guys just want to train. They don’t want any distractions. So rather then have guys on your side, you’re doing everything in his power to get everyone to be against him. It’s not the right move with the guys, because they are free to go and train with him and some of them have. And then they come back and train with us and it’s no big deal. If they’re good friends of his and want to support him they shouldn’t feel guilty for going and doing that. I would never make anybody feel bad for going over there.”

His final thoughts on why CageJunkies everywhere should watch Fight Factory? “They get to see the inner-working for what it takes for a young fighter to get to the professional level. They get to see that these are everyday people with the struggles, the triumphs and the hardships and the failures that they go through. They get to see the behind-the-scenes of what it takes to be an MMA fighter.”

Enjoy!

http://cagejunkies.com/2012/08/cagejunkies-exclusive-team-aka-coach-javier-mendez-talks-fight-factory-koscheck-and-more/

Another great interview by CageJunkies. You guys deserve the hit.  

http://cagejunkies.com/2012/08/cagejunkies-exclusive-team-aka-coach-javier-mendez-talks-fight-factory-koscheck-and-more/

Boom!! TTT

Doesn't look like this beef betwen Javier and Kos is going away anytime soon. 

“When I heard it, I just kind of laughed. The guy is who he is. You can’t change who that person is. There are good guys and there are bad guys, and he is just a bad guy,” Mendez said. “That is all there is to it. He is not a good person. He is a good person when he wants something that benefits him, but when he doesn’t he’s the bad guy. That’s who he is.”

Not knowing either of these guys personally and actually not even knowing Javier much through interviews or anything I'm much more likely to believe Javier. Koshcheck likes to say this and that and how nice of a guy he is but time after time he comes across as having a dick personality. Love watching the guy fight but cant stand him when he opens his mouth. Maybe if more fighters came out against Javier I could understand it more but as of now I think the problem is probably with Koshchek.

In one of the countdowns Koscheck's high school wrestling coach pretty much admitted that Koscheck was a dick.

Nice TTT.

Good read.

Later Phone Post

ttt

ttt