Jay Hieron: I will have the edge against Askren

"As far as Ben Askren, I will worry about him when the time comes but I think he is a great matchup for me and I would love to fight him. I believe I will have an edge against him that the other guys [Hornbuckle and Good] didn't have because of my wrestling pedigree. I am way more well rounded than him."

Full Article

Jay is one of the most over-hyped fighters ever.

Has done very little yet people still talk him up like he's a top level talent.

He will do well in this tournament until he has to face a cyborg.

I've never trained with Jay, nor do I know anyone who has but I'm guessing that he's one of those "practice hero" guys who dominate people during training but for whatever reason can't perform the same way when competing.

Strong Island.

Hieron will give Askren a proper introduction to The Hurting Game

Hieron hasn't lost a fight since 2007 and he's won his last 7 fights 1armedscissor. He was supposed to fight Diaz for the belt in Strikeforce, but Diaz failed to make it to town for his drug test.

frontrowbrian -  all due respect to Hieron but he doesn't have the edge against Askren. Maybe he could out strike him but how long will the fight be standing?

I think what he means is that he will have the edge more so than Hornbuckle or Lyman because of his wrestling background.

Hieron is confident in himself and his skills. Nothing wrong with that. Askren has also not faced anyone as good as Hieron yet.

TheVileOne - Hieron is confident in himself and his skills. Nothing wrong with that. Askren has also not faced anyone as good as Hieron yet.

I have to disagree there. Lyman is as good as Hieron if not better. So is Hornbuckle.

Titanium Rhino - 
TheVileOne - Hieron is confident in himself and his skills. Nothing wrong with that. Askren has also not faced anyone as good as Hieron yet.

I have to disagree there. Lyman is as good as Hieron if not better.

Unless you mean not as good at wrestling.

If you look at experience and record, not sure how we can really say Good is better than Hieron yet. Askren was his biggest test to date and he lost.

TheVileOne - Hieron hasn't lost a fight since 2007 and he's won his last 7 fights 1armedscissor. He was supposed to fight Diaz for the belt in Strikeforce, but Diaz failed to make it to town for his drug test.

WIth all due respect his biggest wins during that period are agains Taylor and Riggs.  Neither guy is exactly "lighting up" the division.  I'm not trying to disrespect Jay either.  He's no doubt very talented.  You hear people say it all the time.

Oddly enough Joe Riggs is another one of these guys.  You always hear about how he's such a monster in the gym, yet it isn't reflected in his performances on the big stage.  Jay is the same.  Or at least appears to be.

Just an observation mate.  Not even a critiscm.

He's retarded if he thinks he has an edge in wrestling. He may have an edge elsewhere, but Askren will snuggle his ass for 15 minutes for the win.

Ummm what? Keep training Jay not trying to convince yourself you have an edge over Ben Askren bc you have none. Ben will easily beat you.

1armedScissor - 
TheVileOne - Hieron hasn't lost a fight since 2007 and he's won his last 7 fights 1armedscissor. He was supposed to fight Diaz for the belt in Strikeforce, but Diaz failed to make it to town for his drug test.

WIth all due respect his biggest wins during that period are agains Taylor and Riggs.  Neither guy is exactly "lighting up" the division.  I'm not trying to disrespect Jay either.  He's no doubt very talented.  You hear people say it all the time.

Oddly enough Joe Riggs is another one of these guys.  You always hear about how he's such a monster in the gym, yet it isn't reflected in his performances on the big stage.  Jay is the same.  Or at least appears to be.

Just an observation mate.  Not even a critiscm.

Hieron's only had 4 career losses and has done just fine on the bigger stages. He lost to GSP really earlier into his career and that was a lifetime ago.

I think Hieron will surprise you when he sweeps the tournament and makes it to Askren.

Does Jay think his wrestling is better than Askren's? Is he delusional? Phone Post

I love the Askren-Hieron fight. I think it will answer a lot of questions about both men.

Its hard to tell whos wrestling is better until they step in there together. I agree with Hieron being the more complete fighter though.

Sick fight! Phone Post