Jay Hieron: I will have the edge against Askren

catbath - I love the Askren-Hieron fight. I think it will answer a lot of questions about both men.

this.

catbath - I love the Askren-Hieron fight. I think it will answer a lot of questions about both men.

I like Hornbuckle/Hieron more. I don't think I will ever be excited to see Askren fight ever again.

Stinger22 - Some of you have an issue with reading comprehension.

Jay isn't saying he is a better wrestler.

He is saying he is more well rounded and he is.

Yeah, I'm extremey confused by all these people who are misunderstanding what Hieron is saying that badly. He isn't saying anything about better wrestling than Askren. He's saying his wrestling background will allow him to stop Askren's wrestling in a way those other guys couldn't.

And it's possible. A lot of times when two good wrestlers meet in MMA, they struggle like hell to take each other down, even if their pedigrees are very different (e.g. DI champ vs. average DI guy or good DII guy). When two standout college wrestlers meet, you don't usually see one guy just ragdolling the other.

And Hieron is definitely more experienced on the feet. So, he has a good style to keep it competitive against Askren. There's still some questions about Askren because he's still purely a grappler at this point, and eventually he's going to meet someone he can't just control. In MMA it's inevitable.

Like 1armedScissor said, Hieron has a very strong practice rep. We'll see if he can translate that to big MMA success. He doesn't have a breakout win yet.

Heiron I going to smash Askren when they fight. Anyone wanting to make a cash or screen name bet I am game Phone Post

DaemonDragon - 
Stinger22 - Some of you have an issue with reading comprehension.

Jay isn't saying he is a better wrestler.

He is saying he is more well rounded and he is.

Yeah, I'm extremey confused by all these people who are misunderstanding what Hieron is saying that badly. He isn't saying anything about better wrestling than Askren. He's saying his wrestling background will allow him to stop Askren's wrestling in a way those other guys couldn't.

Exactly! Sometimes I wonder if people even read the full interview/article before posting.

Tommy Gunnz -  Heiron I going to smash Askren when they fight. Anyone wanting to make a cash or screen name bet I am game Phone Post

I'm not a betting man, but out of curiosity do you train, or have you trained with Heiron?

Southpaw'd - Its hard to tell whos wrestling is better until they step in there together. I agree with Hieron being the more complete fighter though.

Askren may be the best wrestler in MMA and he's has a hard style to boot..  agreed Jay is way more complete. 

In his last two fights Askren showed some problems in the standup and was in some
trouble against Good and Hornbuckle on the feet. His wrestling came through for him and it
didn't prove too much a problem, but I've got a feeling he isn't going to take it to
Hieron like his past opponents. Hieron is the best wrestler Askren will have fought and
I think he'll be able to keep it standing and take Askren on the feet.

But this is all assuming Hieron wins the tournament, which isn't a sure thing.

"do you or have you ever trained with Heroin?"

Negative, I have never met the man Phone Post

Tommy Gunnz - "do you or have you ever trained with Heroin?"Negative, I have never met the man Phone Post

Heroin?

If they give him Weedman or Hawn from the gate, he could get knocked out of the tourney in the first round. Both guys are unbelievably talented and tough.

Jweinberg -  Jay has better hands, and has great wrestling.  Askren's wrestling is mostly defensive, and this is an MMA match, not a wrestling match.  You guys have no clue what you are talking about.  You think Askren is going to just take Jay down- no way.  Askren is going to need more than his funk shit when they meet.  I see Jay winning by KO.

Defensive wrestling? He initiates the takedowns and finishes them. Jay is Busch League when it comes to wrestling against Ben. You sir are a moron.

Tommy Gunnz -  "do you or have you ever trained with Heroin?"  Phone Post
Usually helps my cardio and weight-cutting.

Titanium Rhino - 

I like Hornbuckle/Hieron more. I don't think I will ever be excited to see Askren fight ever again.
Hornbuckle/Hieron would an interesting fight. I think Dan can sub him.