Jeet Kune Do in MMA?

im pretty sure some1 already asked this but how good of an addition to your overall fighting is JKD? my friend (who is an instructor in JKD) actually competed in a amateur MMA tourney and did quite well. your thoughts?

wtf is 2.1?

ur just not a nice person are u bsrizpac?

Ah, the daily JKD thread. It never gets old.

The interesting thing is Jeet Kune Do isnt a fighting system its just a theory or a way of thinking, in fact its about as close and MMA as you get. Take what works and discard everything else. I love it when these guys pretend Jeet Kune Do is training just as Bruce Lee did in the arts he originally did. Big Dummies.

JKD is more about taking what works for YOU, the techniques that will make YOU personally a stronger fighter, based on your height, weight, reach, natural ability and strengths, rather than a specific skillset.

In that way it is comparable to MMA, to be successful you learn the basis of everything, then play to your strengths, i.e. Matt Hughes as a wrestler, learning striking and BJJ. Cro cop as a striker learning takedown defences and ground game. Hughes is still a wrestler and Mirko is still a striker, but they each have a complete game.

I read somewhere Jerome LeBanner had a JKD background and that's why he fights southpaw, but that could be BS...

Keoni is correct.

lol I still see guys in magazine who trained under Lee's students still showing the Wing Chun dummy as their daily training.

"Randy put in huge time at Straight Blast Gym. In an interview, Randy said SBG was a defining moment for him/his career/etc."

this is not a very accurate statement. its my impression that when people state JKD in general, they are referring to a fighting style. and in that regard, specifically trapping. most people who train JKD concepts have a good background in boxing/muay thai and were also some of the first pre-UFC people to start training BJJ.

however, it is my understanding that Randy Couture went to the Straight Blast Gym so he could learn and cross-train more BJJ for MMA ... NOT so he could learn Jeet Kune Do. Couture in return, helped introduce Matt Thornton and the rest of the SBG to pummeling, wrestling takedowns and the Greco-Roman game. that became their framework for learning to fight in the Clinch. and any other antiquated techniques/drills that came from JKD trapping (wing chun/filipino kali hybrid) were slowly phased out in favor of something that would readily translate to training in a live environment.

i've also heard people ask Erik Paulson (Shooto champ and JKD instructor under Inosanto) why they don't see him use any of the trapping techniques from JKD/FMA in any of his matches and his response is usually something like: "if you step in the ring against a good opponent and try that yourself ... you'll answer your own question in no time"

that kinda says it all.

""if it trully works, then mma guys would be training it and that technique would contribute to them being champions.""

I disagree with this statement. MMA is only really a decade old, its still a baby compared to other sports. You will see it continue to evolve. Just because you don't see a tech in MMA doesn'talways mean it doesn't work, could mean it hasn't been tried. People used to say that high kicks and other flashy kicks didn't work, till Cro Cop, David Loiseau and a few others became successful using them.

I think you are correct about SBG being closer to the JKD ideal. I don't think anyone in the organization uses the JKD title anymore? I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen it. We let the name go awhile back and went back to training. It was too tiring trying to defend it. What's the point anyway? What's going on now is light years ahead of where Bruce was when he died.

hahah love the responses!

Ben Saunders is a JKD Warrior!

Actually David Loiseau is a TKD practicioner. My point is that there is still shit out there about fighting that isn't being used or hasn't been discovered. Maybe a TMA technique no one has tried in a awhile, maybe something someone will comeup with on his own. Whether its brand new or something old thats been rehashed or tweeked a little, the sport will evolve. Where MMA is at now is only the tip of the iceberg.

Luke Cummo from TUF2 is a Jeet Kune Do guy.

Lopiseau does mostly train in MT now for striking but he does still practice some TKD stuff. He mentioned it in an article in Grappling Magazine. Also, after his win against Charles McCarthy at UFC 53, he credited a few of the kicks he threw during the bout to TKD, including the fight-wining spinning back kick he landed.

What I'm trying to get at here is your mind should always be open. Don't just asssume that something works/doesn't work based on how it looks or what you've heard, try it out. Experiment.

the multiple kick isn't the ONLY technique in TKD. Most of TKD does suck, but there's a few things that are useful. Think of TMA's like this. Most TMA's are deep systems with a shitload of techniques. Lets say a TMA has 100 techniques. lets say that 75% are complete bullshit. Of the other 25%, lets say that 75% is well known, common techniques. that leaves you with 5 techniques. Thats 5 techniques that most people don't use. 5 things you opponent won't see coming.

In Baseball, pitchers are constantly coming up with new grips on the pitches, different deliveries to the mound, etc... baseballs over 100 years old and its still envolving. My original point is, most people think that if it works, we've seen it in MMA. I think we haven't seen nothing yet, its only a decade old.

""if you want to make the most of your training time, you can't waste sweat on making something work that has never proven useful""

I understand what you mean, time is of the essence when preapring for a fight. I'm glad you see what I mean too.

Thats right Stark I am a JKD Warrior.

My style is "Jeet Kune Do Concepts"

Your more than welcome to look me up on sherdog.

I took Jeet Kune Do(To give a name only for value) at a local school.

But the classes were actually called...

Jun Fan Kickboxing(Begginner)
Jun Fan Kickboxing(Advanced)
Phillipino Kali

I hear now they have a grappling class.

Anyways it had alot of fundementals of boxing and thai kickboxing.

But the philosophy of the art was the what made it such a great academy.

"Keep what is useful, and discard what is useless"

I kept that phylosophy to this day, training all over. Keeping my mind open to learn everything. And from that chosing what I want to add to my arsenal.

Bruce Lee was a genious.

I am what, who, and where I am today because of him.

So when I make it big.... I will let everyone know how I got there with PRIDE!

P.S. one technique I believe is very effective yet never used. Kali's defense towards a punching strike, using the defenders elbow to break the attackers hand. I havn't been able to really train it due to live sparring being the only means to truly test and perfect the move. I don't need to accidently break my partners hand just so I can try to get better at the technique. But occassionally I will joke with it, and it seems very possible. Atleast I have seen it capable of being a technique that works for my body type.

You all heard it here 1st. This technique will be a must for all.

haha

The Kali elbow-to-incoming-punch does not work very well with gloves on. Bareknuckle, it's money.

well obviously it works better with bare knuckles but people break there hands all the time punching to the head all the time. The elbow specially with the momentem of you striking with it at the same time is like 2 cars running into eachother, small ass glove or not it will do damage.

maybe.... haha