Jeff Mayweather Interview: 5 Takeaways

If you haven't yet seen this Jeff Mayweather video, you need to do yourself a favor and watch the entire thing. Floyd himself would never be able to convey the information his dad lays out in this video so simply and openly. It's a brutally frank interview and tells you pretty much all you need to know as to where all the parties stand in the negotiations.

Here are 5 things that struck me.

5 - Jeff Mayweather is one super chill dad. I've heard stories about him being a hothead and not getting along with his son, but here he comes across as thoughtful, honest in his asessments of Floyd's advantages and disadvantages, and full of self deprecating humor.

4 - Mayweather Senior drops bomb by revealing that his son's contract for the fight is guaranteed. This is super important because it means before anyone else get's their cut from PPV sales, Mayweather's guarantee is cut first. Other parties, including the UFC then get their cut, with McGregor receiving his from the UFC. There is no 80/20 with Mayweather. The UFC and McGregor would have to fight out their 80/20. Huge difference.

3 - It would be a boxing match, as opposed to an MMA fight, which means they are entering Floyd Mayweather's world and thus will be on his terms. Mayweather senior also notes that legit boxing fans are really not the ones clamoring for the fight. It's the UFC fans that want to see it.

- Mayweather is a proven Record Setting PPV King. McGregor is also a strong PPV draw obviously, but only one of them has the top 3 PPV buys ever, of at least 2.2 million. And it's not McGregor.

1 - Which leads me to my number one takeaway from the Jeff Mayweather interview: The holdup in this PPV of the Century, is Conor McGregor. To which the senior Mayweather astutely notes that whatever amount McGregor eventually agrees to, even if it won't be as large as Floyd's cut, it will still be the most massive money McGregor has seen in his lifetime. And to not let that happen, his fiance/wife should sue him for financial neglect.

So the fight will happen, the love of money is the root of all evil. McGregor's advisors should press on him the importance of striking while the iron is hot. These days time has become compressed. Things that used to happen in weeks, perceptions that used to form in months, now happen in days, or literally hours. There is a time for revolution of the MMA pay structure, and there is a time to just get paid. This is get paid time. Sign the contract and let the UFC rob you blind. You'll still be driving to the police station in the Lamborgini.

But Kudos to Jeff Mayweather for a great interivew and giving fans some solid inside information on negotiations for the fight.

Do you guys and ladies think the fight will happen, and what is your opinion of Jeff Mayweather?

My opinion is that he's his uncle. That's why he's such a super chill dad

Lol his name is Floyd mayweather JR.

no he's super chill because hes grown from a hothead to a slide off the back dude. Lots of other guys would have gone insult for insult with Dana White. Mayweather notes in the interview that he and Dana White used to be close and did a lot of things together, but that Dana White has changed 100% from how he was before. Unlike Mayweather, who laughs at Dana White's insult. So he is chill and I mixed him up with his brother. Oh the horrors!

Gettin Dusty - This guy thinks Floyd Mayweather, Jr., is the son of Jeff Mayweather? Is that what I'm reading?
lol

stainlesssteel - 

If you haven't yet seen this Jeff Mayweather video, you need to do yourself a favor and watch the entire thing. Floyd himself would never be able to convey the information his dad lays out in this video so simply and openly. It's a brutally frank interview and tells you pretty much all you need to know as to where all the parties stand in the negotiations.

Here are 5 things that struck me.

5 - Jeff Mayweather is one super chill dad. I've heard stories about him being a hothead and not getting along with his son, but here he comes across as thoughtful, honest in his asessments of Floyd's advantages and disadvantages, and full of self deprecating humor.

4 - Mayweather Senior drops bomb by revealing that his son's contract for the fight is guaranteed. This is super important because it means before anyone else get's their cut from PPV sales, Mayweather's guarantee is cut first. Other parties, including the UFC then get their cut, with McGregor receiving his from the UFC. There is no 80/20 with Mayweather. The UFC and McGregor would have to fight out their 80/20. Huge difference.

3 - It would be a boxing match, as opposed to an MMA fight, which means they are entering Floyd Mayweather's world and thus will be on his terms. Mayweather senior also notes that legit boxing fans are really not the ones clamoring for the fight. It's the UFC fans that want to see it.

- Mayweather is a proven Record Setting PPV King. McGregor is also a strong PPV draw obviously, but only one of them has the top 3 PPV buys ever, of at least 2.2 million. And it's not McGregor.

1 - Which leads me to my number one takeaway from the Jeff Mayweather interview: The holdup in this PPV of the Century, is Conor McGregor. To which the senior Mayweather astutely notes that whatever amount McGregor eventually agrees to, even if it won't be as large as Floyd's cut, it will still be the most massive money McGregor has seen in his lifetime. And to not let that happen, his fiance/wife should sue him for financial neglect.

So the fight will happen, the love of money is the root of all evil. McGregor's advisors should press on him the importance of striking while the iron is hot. These days time has become compressed. Things that used to happen in weeks, perceptions that used to form in months, now happen in days, or literally hours. There is a time for revolution of the MMA pay structure, and there is a time to just get paid. This is get paid time. Sign the contract and let the UFC rob you blind. You'll still be driving to the police station in the Lamborgini.

But Kudos to Jeff Mayweather for a great interivew and giving fans some solid inside information on negotiations for the fight.

Do you guys and ladies think the fight will happen, and what is your opinion of Jeff Mayweather?

stainlesssteel -

no he's super chill because hes grown from a hothead to a slide off the back dude. Lots of other guys would have gone insult for insult with Dana White. Mayweather notes in the interview that he and Dana White used to be close and did a lot of things together, but that Dana White has changed 100% from how he was before. Unlike Mayweather, who laughs at Dana White's insult. So he is chill and I mixed him up with his brother. Oh the horrors!

Jeff has NEVER been a hot head, always been a really nice guy and probably the only Mayweather with a bachelor's degree

They all act like this away from the camera. Very knowledgeable, helpful people. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeff, Floyd Sr, Roger, and Jr. The "Money" persona is exactly that.

My takeaway. 

1. OP is a dumdass. 

OP doesn't know shit about boxing. Roger Mayweather is clearly the father of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite - OP doesn't know shit about boxing. Roger Mayweather is clearly the father of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

haha this got me

Mo Phenomenal -

They all act like this away from the camera. Very knowledgeable, helpful people. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeff, Floyd Sr, Roger, and Jr. The "Money" persona is exactly that.

Wasn't there once a time when Floyd and his dad were not getting along and had some bad blood between them? I recall a video where seems like they almost got into a fistfight.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Son of Jeff Mayweather . 

stainlesssteel -
Mo Phenomenal -

Wasn't there once a time when Floyd and his dad were not getting along and had some bad blood between them? I recall a video where seems like they almost got into a fistfight.

Yeah it was on a 24/7 episode when he was getting ready to fight Victor Ortiz. Probably for the cameras too. On young Floyd's part anyway.

NewEraNik -

My opinion is that he's his uncle. That's why he's such a super chill dad

1st post does it again. Lol

Jeff Matweather Jr. Ftw!!

SpredSavage - Jeff Matweather Jr. Ftw!!

Lmao the Matweathers are the new boxing royals