Jesus & "aliens"

For many fundamental religious people, earth is the only place in the entire universe that life exists. I am not one of these people, however. I see earth as a speck in the vastness of GOD's creation, but no less important of course, as all life is important.

Due to the vastness of interstellar distances, and our limited science, it may take a looooooong time before we ever discover (IF we ever discover) any other life in the universe. As a big cosmology & physics freak, I understand (as much as anyone can I suppose) that the universe is MONSTEROUSLY, ENORMOUSLY, RIDICULOUSLY HUUUUUUUGE ... and STILL expanding.

However, "assuming" there is other life in this material universe ... how does this effect our understanding of Jesus Christ? Do all planets with life at some point in their development require Christ to appear to show the way? Or was earth just really screwed up?

Jesus himself said he was a sheppard with many flocks ...

Or are we to truly believe that our planet earth is the ONLY place in all of existence where intelligent life exists. And everything else is just there to take up space.

If intelligent life has evolved somewhere in the Universe they most likely created as many visions and ideas of Gods as we have.

John 14:2
"In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

"Do all planets with life at some point in their development require Christ to appear to show the way?"

I believe so.

Christ is just one of numorous persons that has helped and guided less developed groups of people. It´s more of a principle, a proof of Gods Love.

Just for the sake of novelty Joe, if there was an alien why would Christ appear to them as something they would have no grasp of. That would be like him appearing to us as the thing from dreamcatcher.(but it would at least make more sense than the movie)

According to my understanding of the Bible, if aliens exist, they are under our dominion as are animals.

I agree James.

EvilJediJ - interesting. I know we have been discovering (learning) a GREAT deal about planets and solar systems lately. More in the past 10 years than all of history combined. There are some very solid techniques being used, but it still takes time (there is a lot of space to look at). Discovering the planets, and being able to verify (and communicate) that life is there are different however. But it's a step in the right direction.

Joe Ray - ha, i agree. People can be silly. Everything is ALWAYS in terms of "I" or "me". Us humans are after all the only important thing in the universe, heh.

jscorbett - wow. I realize the bible can be interpretted that humans/earth is the center of the universe (sorry, but my ego is not that big). It also states we have dominion over animals, but how does that automatically give us dominion over all lifeforms everywhere? I do not recall that being stated anywhere in the bible. We are apparently the most intelligent lifeform on this planet, thus we have dominion of it and all life on it. How would this be extended to all life in our galaxy, let alone the entire universe?

I think this is how many people think ... might makes right. Intelligence makes right, etc. There is a definite belief in a "chosen" people who are GOD's favorite and are above all other "sub"-humans. I do not, and will NEVER, believe this as I believe all men/women are equal. This has carried through to most religions (very violently) as they all seem to be the only correct religion and all have GOD on their side. Since there is only 1 GOD, He would be on everyside.

Did I miss something in the bible that stated we humans have dominion over all lifeforms everywhere?

Gen 1:26-28

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Ok. Here we go.

I do not deny the existence of "aliens." I am saying that they do not fit as humans under God's plan as outlined in the Bible.

For those who disagree with me: How does your belief in aliens strengthen your faith in God?

jscorbett - sorry if I came across poorly or condescendingly, not my intention at all!!! I'm at work tho and can't really put too much time into my posts ;)

It's been a while since I've read the bible(s), and certainly do not remember everything, so I was just curious.

You are correct, the bible does not really say much specifics about alien life. To me, the bible is for earth (particually because of the 1 sun & 1 moon reference). So who knows.

There is no way for sure to proof that there is or is not life throughout the universe (at least today). To me it makes sense, but people being nice &working together also makes sense and that's not a constant ;)

My personal belief in alien lifeforms just adds more to GOD's creation. Doesn't really strengthen or weaken my faith.

tglaser:

I would suggest you spend some time reading these pages: http://www.mt.net/~watcher/ufos.html .

I have found them fascinating and informative. They do not contradict the Bible to my knowledge.

Please read them and let me know what you think.

thanks,
jc

jc - thanks. it will take some time before I get back on this, there's alot of material to review. Plenty to keep my mind busy late at night!!

Well I have often felt that the odds are highly in favor of life all over the universe. Our galaxy alone has ~400 billion stars ... so like can be quite abundant in our galaxy alone (although most likely not in the center of the galaxy as the heat & gravity would not be suitable for inhabitable planets obviously).

Using time on a universal scale, any civilization that started before us, even by a few thousand years (let alone millions) would have had ample time to far surpass us ... or to kill themselves.

I want to think that any advanced civilization would have to be good for the reasons IceShineGrill mentioned, but I am not so sure.

One thing I do know, if a benevelent species more advanced than us ever came across us, they'd think we were very primitive, because we are. No sense contacting a race that constantly fights amongst themselves for no apparent reasons.

The Bible mentions other forms of life. besides humans and animals.

Really?! I do not recall this, other than the reference to 'wisdom'. Can you elaborate?

Celestial, terrestrial there are two or three others. I cannot recall. I'll have to check back.

Please do, I have never heard of this.

1 Corinthians 15:39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

1 Corinthians 15:40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

Minotaurolover, Great point. It is arrogant to assume we here on earth are the only life forms in the universe. Dave...