Jesus' ignored teachings

For hundreds of years christians have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible's teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a few O T moralisms. The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft-noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Christians practice what can only be described as "selective morality". What they like, they expound; what they don't like, they ignore, even though the validity or strength of one is no less than that of the other. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addressed 2,000 years ago. They enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul's preachings, for example, but ignore equally valid teachings.

First, a true follower of Jesus would have to be extremely poor. The Bible makes this quite clear:

(a) "...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" (Luke 14:33);

(b) "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);

(c) "Sell your possessions and give alms" (Luke 12:33);

(d) "But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" (Luke 11:41);

(e) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:19-21);

(f) "How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23);

(g) "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matt. 19:23-24);

(h) A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" (Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21), and

(i) Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8)
It's much easier, and far less painful, to rationalize away clear-cut statements than surrender great wealth because of Biblical injunctions.

as well as Luke 3:11, which says, "who has two coats, let him share with him who has none; and he who has food, let him do like-wise."
Jesus said, "Give to him who asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matt. 5:42).

How many christians attempt to obey the biblical precept which says, "and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again" (Luke 6:29-30)?

They avoid Matt. 5:40, which says, "And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him also have thy cloak."
Jesus commissioned his twelve disciples to, "provide neither gold nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, not yet staves, for the workman is worthy of his meat" (Matt. 10:9-10).

If these were the morally right procedures for the disciples of Christ 2,000 years ago, then they should have some relevance to his disciples of today.
Early Christian groups practiced a form of communal ownership of property. "And all that believed were together, and had all things common; and sold their possessions and goods and parted them to all men, as every man had need" (Acts 2:44-45, also note Acts 4:34-37). Yet, except for a few isolated communities, today's christians preach the opposite.

In summary, it's not enough to avoid the accumulation of wealth; one must actively seek to eliminate whatever property may come into one's possession. (See also: Acts 20:35, Rom. 12:13, Col. 3:2, Matt. 6:24). In so far as wealth and property are concerned, Christian monks, ascetics, and some factions of the Amish, for example, are far closer to biblical teachings than any of the well-known clergymen or denominations of today.

So, how many of you self professed christians are actually FOLLOWERS of Christ?

How can you claim He is God, and that you believe in Him, while you ignore his teachings and at the same time expect to be taken seriously by non-believers that are familiar with the Word?

some excellent points, mrfixit. i was just debating this with my dad a
while ago.

Who are you?  Are you actually preaching a message without doing it yourself?  I'm sorry but if you are not a Christian you have no business giving Christians lectures on what they should or shouldn't do.  How arrogant and obnoxious can you be?

"I'm sorry but if you are not a Christian you have no business giving Christians lectures on what they should or shouldn't do."

I love this line of reasoning. Is it a two way street?

We are saved by Grace by the Blood of Christ...we can try all we want and we still fall short everytime. Not one of us is worthy of the Kingdom and this is why Christ did what He did. What we do...we do willingly and the rest is God willing to give us the strength.

Read the whole message bro

to be fair ridge', christians do have a reputation for telling others what to
do...

"I love this line of reasoning. Is it a two way street?"

Interesting.

Often the "you can't judge christians unless you too are a christian" argument seems to me more like Christians feel it is fine to ignore criticism while doling it out with impunity. It doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Christians are dead wrong when they tell non-Christians how to behave.  They are dead wrong when they try to use laws to make non-Christians behave like Christians.  They are wrong but so is the person who does not live up to the standards of Jesus but uses those standards against those who are at least  trying. 

But are they really trying, or only hiding in plain sight?

thats an excellent post. mrfixit. I'd say Christians are far better at following those teachings then non christians.

sherm, i think that is a difficult claim to support.

"They are wrong but so is the person who does not live up to the standards of Jesus but uses those standards against those who are at least trying. "

Your quote encompasses just about the totality of mankind.

Which leads me to my question.

Are you really trying, or are these teachings by Jesus simply not realistic in todays world? These are not my words. I am only repeating them.

Don't kill the messenger. I am just challenging you on what you really believe since in my own personal observation, "church" and "religion" are more about big business and control than humility, and obedience to God's word.

I think the recent studies on who gives to charities shows that religious conservatives are more inclined to put their money where their mouth is.

They are to be commended for it.

However, I think that the same study will also show that they are falling far, far short of what the Bible says Jesus actually expects from them.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ." -Ghandi

---"Christians are dead wrong when they tell non-Christians how to behave. "

Hmmm, I'm curious as to why you say that. Because I can certainly see a Christian's point of view as to why he feels he ought to tell me how to behave.

I mean, I agree in a logical-ethical sense that they are "wrong," because I find many Christians haven't a strong logical foundation for their ethical system. So in a logical sense I find they are "wrong" when they tell me what I "ought" to do.

But I highly doubt that is what you mean by your comment. So on what grounds are Christians wrong to tell others how to behave? For theological reasons?

Thanks,

Prof.

"Who are you? Are you actually preaching a message without doing it yourself?"

WOW.

Do you feel the same about Jesus, when he tells people not to call others a fool, yet does it himself?

WOW indeed.

How much money do you give away annually mr. fix it?

You do err in not knowing the scriptures...you are seletive and don't provide the whole context.

Im currently ignoring the Eunuch thing. Only happens every now and then.