Jim Cornette

What's everyone's thoughts on him?

I've been listening to his podcasts for a solid month or two now, and I while I started off enjoying it, he seems to say a lot of things that make no sense or just to hear himself speak.

He seems incredibly biased against AEW and I'm specifically writing this in reference to his comments about the Butcher and Blade vs. FTR.  He basically threw B&B under the bus from the start and acted like their gimmick made no sense to him.  After reading the comments, it seems everyone disagreed with him and he was just talking out his ass.  It's as though this man has never seen Gangs of New York nor has the imagination to understand the Butcher is a big lumberging brute that has power and one hit kill ability like a cleaver and the Blade is like death by a thousand cuts due to his technical wrestling ability and quickness.

It really undermines his insight when he speaks so ignorantly about things that appear so obvious.  I enjoy his stories and curtain pulling of times past and wrestling from when I was a kid, but AEW has long term story telling, in my eyes excellent gimmicks (which he constantly shits on, yet loves Road Warriors, R&R Express etc. which are excellent gimmicks but would fit right in, in AEW), varied wrestling and not JUST spot fests anymore, so I just don't get his constant hate for them.  My one thought is that he's setting up a heel turn to join FTR for a few shows.  

Anyway, what does everyone else think about him?  Any other old school guys with podcasts that are a little easier to listen to?  

FRAT version: Jim Cornette hates AEW and can't understand and obvious gimmick like Butcher and Blade, and I don't understand why.

part cornette working people

part cornette giving bucks + omega shit due to their feud that's lasted several years

1 Like

Overall I like him and think he's pretty funny and honest.

He seems to have a lot of good road stories. The one Bruce told of when they used Cornette's rental car in a live backstage skit and destroyed it while an oblivious Cornette watched on the monitor in the back is absolute gold.

He comes off as pretty bitter to me.

Cornette is awesome and he knows what he is talking about. However he spews so much vulgarity and anger the message gets lost in the shuffle.

His shtick is partly a work because he knows it gets a response and gets people engaged. However I think the base viewpoints and opinions are genuine.

Jim Ross had an excellent statement about cornette. Essentially lot of old school guys or people who have a good mind for the business agree with what cornette is saying and in fact its nothing revolutionary, however jim just says everything in the most antagonistic manner on his show so people don't want to listen.

Personally cornette ragging on aew ane the nick names he has for everyone is brilliant. It really does let you see how stupid modern wrestling is. However the 80s ain't coming back.

2 Likes

I think he is very funny at times, would not want a twitter feud with that guy.

I listened to him for years but only the drive thru as it was less politics and more wrestling. He crossed a line with something he said (not wrestling related) about a relative so I am unsubbed to anything to do with him, other than this thread.

I could listen to him talk about pre 1997 wrestling all day.

Anything past that, hard pass.

1 Like

He's right about the business more often than not. But he's also one of those people that you either hate or love, no middle ground.

I also almost find it sad that he has no place in wrestling right now other than being a twitter commentator. He's basically burned all his bridges with WWE, ROH, NWA, and AEW.

1 Like

The Destroyer88 - 

He's right about the business more often than not. But he's also one of those people that you either hate or love, no middle ground.

I also almost find it sad that he has no place in wrestling right now other than being a twitter commentator. He's basically burned all his bridges with WWE, ROH, NWA, and AEW.

I think he could get over in today's WWE with people that hated him as kids but can appreciate him as an adult.

I could see him managing the Anti-Brock and sounding off against Heyman. Almost turning full face in a chaotic kind of way.

A feud between the two mouths could be pretty entertaining, assuming he had the right wrestler to back.

Cornette would be a great manager but he has a lot of enemies. Once he mentioned catching up with a wrestler during the HOF weekend (the one he was inducted in) and he wouldn't mention their name because he said they'd heat.. I believe it. One guy who has major life heat is Vince's yes man, the beaver dude. Can't remember his name now but he and Corny do not like each other 

I used to love Cornette but the older I get the more I avoid people who are antagonistic like the plague.  I disagree with a lot of his opinions but that wouldn't bother me if he wasn't hell bent on being the biggest asshole in any room about it.

He’s correct in his criticism of modern wrestling for the most part. The lack of selling , wrestlers looking like ridiculous pussys, small, skinny fat, knee slapping, no selling, too many flippy moves, too many suicide dives, no selling, no actual believable anger, not acting like it’s real outside of the ring. NOT SELLING. Dick spots, Jazz hands etc. all sucks ass to a Gen Xer who grew up on stuff other than just WWE. 

He’s wrong when he goes overboard criticizing stuff for having any comedy in it whatsoever or being completely unbelievable compared to his day when he was there for the RoboCop and Shockmaster  shitshows.  Part of this is his schtick but also him digging himself too deep in to where he seems to feel he has to keep it going. He would be a perfect guy to teach them the “slow it down, less is more” stuff that seems to be a common complaint in modern wrestling but he’s too dug in. 

Al Snow gives the same views that Cornette does without the vulgarity. I think they’re both saying the same thing one just isn’t ridiculously pissed about it. This one I saw the other day is dead on about it being about wrestlers entertaining other wrestlers as opposed to trying to draw money. 

1 Like

JJitsu -

He’s correct in his criticism of modern wrestling for the most part. The lack of selling , wrestlers looking like ridiculous pussys, small, skinny fat, knee slapping, no selling, too many flippy moves, too many suicide dives, no selling, no actual believable anger, not acting like it’s real outside of the ring. NOT SELLING. Dick spots, Jazz hands etc. all sucks ass to a Gen Xer who grew up on stuff other than just WWE. 

He’s wrong when he goes overboard criticizing stuff for having any comedy in it whatsoever or being completely unbelievable compared to his day when he was there for the RoboCop and Shockmaster  shitshows.  Part of this is his schtick but also him digging himself too deep in to where he seems to feel he has to keep it going. He would be a perfect guy to teach them the “slow it down, less is more” stuff that seems to be a common complaint in modern wrestling but he’s too dug in. 

Al Snow gives the same views that Cornette does without the vulgarity. I think they’re both saying the same thing one just isn’t ridiculously pissed about it. This one I saw the other day is dead on about it being about wrestlers entertaining other wrestlers as opposed to trying to draw money. 

Great post especially in regards to the al snow comparisons. Snow has a great mind for the business as well. Didnt al snow start in Smokey mountain?

1 Like

TheBearStare -
JJitsu -

Great post especially in regards to the al snow comparisons. Snow has a great mind for the business as well. Didnt al snow start in Smokey mountain?

He was in smw but he started about a decade earlier. 

TheBearStare -

Cornette is awesome and he knows what he is talking about. However he spews so much vulgarity and anger the message gets lost in the shuffle.

His shtick is partly a work because he knows it gets a response and gets people engaged. However I think the base viewpoints and opinions are genuine.

Jim Ross had an excellent statement about cornette. Essentially lot of old school guys or people who have a good mind for the business agree with what cornette is saying and in fact its nothing revolutionary, however jim just says everything in the most antagonistic manner on his show so people don't want to listen.

Personally cornette ragging on aew ane the nick names he has for everyone is brilliant. It really does let you see how stupid modern wrestling is. However the 80s ain't coming back.

I think it's this.  I love Cornette and agree with probably 90% of what he says.  To an extent, he's working and putting on a character, and he knows that in order to get himself over, he has to create a certain amount of enemies. 

He's fucking hilarious when he rips on people and I love listening to the Drive Thru.

Something that's never said but probably should be, is that guys pretending to have beef with each other isn't just part of the wrestling business, it IS the wrestling business.

Cornette churns out the synthetic beef, and probably some real beef along with it, which makes the best synthetic beef. Hilarious some wrestlers are marks who don't know when a work's a work and a shoot's a shoot and work themselves into a shoot...marks.

In regards to Kenny Olivier(omega)

"Olivier is emoting and spreading his art all over the canvas. He spreads his 'art' over the ring like a pervert spreads his sperm all over the floor of a peep show and just all the people that are there to watch it just cream over it, but meanwhile the fucking building is half empty ."

Cornette loved the pit fight match in NXT. He doesn't dump all over everything.

BigWilliam - Cornette loved the pit fight match in NXT. He doesn't dump all over everything.

I've even heard him give Omega credit in saying that he's talented, which is all the more reason why it's so frustrating that he acts like a dickhead in the ring. 

Maybe it's because I'm an older fan,but I can't disagree. 

I like a lot of what he says. Also has some views I disagree with, but those are mostly non wrestling. But the sport just passed him by. I'm not a fan of much wrestling anymore, and the new product is garbage. Can't stand much of the AEW I've seen. I can't take the Bucks seriously. It's like there weren't any tag teams left so the Mulkeys got a push finally.

But Cornette has been raving about FTR for weeks now, how they are the best tag team going (which may be true, but I have never seen them perform) are are so much physically overwhemling compared to the bucks, and so I watched their AEW debut and when confronted by the Young Bucks they seemed pretty close in size.

I get his gripes and a lot are legitimate like JJitsu has already covered. But it is what it is, I prefer my MMA to be NHB with no time limits, but things change. I did discover NWA and MLW during the quarantimes and really enjoy them so far.