Jiu Jitsu Battle 3

Anybody there that can give updates. I'm only interested in the brown belt tourney, not the purples and blues. Phone Post 3.0

Budovideos is doing on demand videos on Monday.

Hywel Teague - 
Muffinho - Budovideos is doing on demand videos on Monday.
Wonder what the price tag will be, I'd quite like to watch but funds are tight seeing as I'm spending $20 on metamoris tomorrow night Phone Post 3.0

I bet they'll be on youtube sometime Monday night. If it was live, Id pay, but it's much less value when the results are already known.

Felipe silva submitted Joao Miyao in the semi finals via knee bar Phone Post

GrapplersSoul1208 - 

ru there? kenny said something about felipe has a chance to sub both brothers.would that be for the final?

12 - 
GrapplersSoul1208 - 

ru there? kenny said something about felipe has a chance to sub both brothers.would that be for the final?

Paulo choked Felipe in the final.

dam

That little guy broke Atos apart, choking out brown belts ain't anything to him.

12 -
GrapplersSoul1208 -  Felipe silva submitted Joao Miyao in the semi finals via knee bar Phone Post

I wish I was there. Stuck at work following the want vs need feed on FB Phone Post

Penetration Skills - 
Muffinho - That little guy broke Atos apart, choking out brown belts ain't anything to him.

what do you mean "That little guy broke Atos apart"

something happen?

Let me preface this by saying I don't train at AOJ or Atos San Diego, and I am not affiliated with Atos in anyway.

A very reliable source told me that Andre Galvao got into a big argument with Gui Mendes over the Miyao Brothers about 3 weeks before Mundials. Apparently, Galvao bitched Gui out, telling him the Miyaos are not welcome at the team trainings in San Diego every Friday (or Thursday, cant remember whcih day they go to AOJ). Anyways, Galvao said this in front of everyone. Gui didn't like this. Since then, the Mendes Bros didn't go to Atos SD, and Galvao didn't come to AOJ.

Coincidentally, Atos had a terrible showing at Mundials, coming home with 0 Gold Medals (Sorry, Ary).

Having dropped in at both gyms, I feel Atos SD is currently the superior spot to train just because Galvao has so many amazing students, but the Mendes Bros are bjj scientists, and losing them will suck for Atos.

Penetration Skills - 
Muffinho - That little guy broke Atos apart, choking out brown belts ain't anything to him.

what do you mean "That little guy broke Atos apart"

something happen?

Paulo choked Jordan first round.

The Miyao brothers were awesome today. Paulo tapped everyone and Joao had one of the craziest matches I've ever seen with Gary Tonnon(spelling?). Match went the 15 minute difference and the refs couldn't decide on a winner(at the time I though Joao clearly won, but I didn't realize how tight Gary's footlock attempts were) so they went to a 5 minute OT and then Joao was declared the winner. After the match Joao was icing his ankle/knee/neck and his foot ended up getting crazy swollen(Felipe Silva tapped him in like 5 minutes but I'm not sure it would be the same result if Joao hadn't been in such a crazy match).

Also, for anyone who thinks the Miyao's are just stallers who win by exploiting the rules, it's worth pointing out that both Paulo and Joao played almost exactly the same as they do in IBJJF matches and Paulo tapped all 3 of his opponents and Joao had a half dozen submission attempts on Gary Tonnon.

Joao Miyao x Gary Tonnon was the match of day in terms of excitement, positional transitions, submission attacks and changes of the rules format from IBJJF. Joao had two early armlocks that made Gary work to escape. However, the rest of the match was very cool to watch because Gary went after Joao with leg attack submissions, sweeps and passing. At the end of the 15 minutes the judges could not pick a winner so the went to the crowd. The crowd went with Miyao, but it was decided to do another 5 minutes. This extra time went to the end and was even closer. The judges picked Miyao as the winner. Now I was like to see these two have another match.

Paulo Miyao x Jordon Schultz started very close. Jordon was very tight in his guard passing as he attacked Paulo leg side (The side he de la riva's); however, after about 4 minutes of Paulo got the de la riva position and berimbolo taking Jordon's back. During the transition the ref was out of position and Paulo pulled Schultz's pants off a lot. Jordon's ass was very out-and-about for a good laugh. After the restart Paulo caught the collar choke.

There were several other good matches. Many of the matches today were 50/50 guard and leglock attacks from the 50/50 guard. The problem currently is not everyone plays the 50/50 guard leglocks as well as others. The good guys get the submissions and tough (boring) matches end up in long 50/50 guard judges decisions. Times will change.

The venue was cool. The seating again was tough.

"little" Tony

LittleTony - Joao Miyao x Gary Tonnon was the match of day in terms of excitement, positional transitions, submission attacks and changes of the rules format from IBJJF. Joao had two early armlocks that made Gary work to escape. However, the rest of the match was very cool to watch because Gary went after Joao with leg attack submissions, sweeps and passing. At the end of the 15 minutes the judges could not pick a winner so the went to the crowd. The crowd went with Miyao, but it was decided to do another 5 minutes. This extra time went to the end and was even closer. The judges picked Miyao as the winner. Now I was like to see these two have another match.

Paulo Miyao x Jordon Schultz started very close. Jordon was very tight in his guard passing as he attacked Paulo leg side (The side he de la riva's); however, after about 4 minutes of Paulo got the de la riva position and berimbolo taking Jordon's back. During the transition the ref was out of position and Paulo pulled Schultz's pants off a lot. Jordon's ass was very out-and-about for a good laugh. After the restart Paulo caught the collar choke.

There were several other good matches. Many of the matches today were 50/50 guard and leglock attacks from the 50/50 guard. The problem currently is not everyone plays the 50/50 guard leglocks as well as others. The good guys get the submissions and tough (boring) matches end up in long 50/50 guard judges decisions. Times will change.

The venue was cool. The seating again was tough.

"little" Tony

Awesome, thanks for the detailed report. What were the rules btw? Sounds like it wasn't the IBJJF standard.

http://www.wantvsneed.com/ for rules and competitor list.

Atos had at least one gold medalist in the Mundials this year. Phone Post

Check out Facebook.com/openmatradio for tons of pics from the event. Phone Post 3.0

MurdochIRL - Check out Facebook.com/openmatradio for tons of pics from the event. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks! Phone Post

I reffed the Jordon Schultz vs Paulo Miyao match. Jordon played very aggressively against Miyao and did well early in the match. As Paulo was taking the back Jordon looked to be working a toe hold, so I was watching that carefully and was out of position for a long time on the pantsing.

Actually had to restart three matches to have the competitors pull up their pants (one of them in the purple and another one involving the Miyao's) to the point I was checking everyone's pants before the matches.

Ironically with the less rules and submission only format this was in some ways harder to referee because there really wasn't anything to enforce. It was basically acknowledging the tap, and restarting matches in the center in the same position when appropriate. I really wish I could have restarted a few matches but given the format and the way things were explained to the competitors I didn't think this would be correct. I have had a theory for a long time that whatever the rules of the event higher level competitors will attempt to mold them to their and not the other way around. In other words whether a fight is exciting or not is largely on the competitor themselves and I felt it appropriate to leave things as much to the competitors as possible.

Thank God I didn't have to cast a vote in the Toonon vs Miyao match however. I will say that if you're not a fan of the Miayo brothers their performance in this event may change your mind.

Very happy to have been able to participate in the Jiu Jitsu Battle and major props go to the Want Vs Need crew and the "head janitor" Al Lagura in particular for putting on such a great event. They are definitely thinking outside the box and doing some great things for Jiu Jitsu.

Gumby - I reffed the Jordon Schultz vs Paulo Miyao match. Jordon played very aggressively against Miyao and did well early in the match. As Paulo was taking the back Jordon looked to be working a toe hold, so I was watching that carefully and was out of position for a long time on the pantsing.

Actually had to restart three matches to have the competitors pull up their pants (one of them in the purple and another one involving the Miyao's) to the point I was checking everyone's pants before the matches.

Ironically with the less rules and submission only format this was in some ways harder to referee because there really wasn't anything to enforce. It was basically acknowledging the tap, and restarting matches in the center in the same position when appropriate. I really wish I could have restarted a few matches but given the format and the way things were explained to the competitors I didn't think this would be correct. I have had a theory for a long time that whatever the rules of the event higher level competitors will attempt to mold them to their and not the other way around. In other words whether a fight is exciting or not is largely on the competitor themselves and I felt it appropriate to leave things as much to the competitors as possible.

Thank God I didn't have to cast a vote in the Toonon vs Miyao match however. I will say that if you're not a fan of the Miayo brothers their performance in this event may change your mind.

Very happy to have been able to participate in the Jiu Jitsu Battle and major props go to the Want Vs Need crew and the "head janitor" Al Lagura in particular for putting on such a great event. They are definitely thinking outside the box and doing some great things for Jiu Jitsu.
Moskva as a sponsor seems to lead to more pantsing. Phone Post 3.0

I had a training partner that loved to grab the pants at the top of the butt crack super hard.

It was annoying to risk exposing myself to my class every time we rolled.