Jiu-Jitsu used to be awesome

dokomoy - I think most peoples real problem is that they don't understand 50/50 and the other leg entanglement positions people play at lower weights(the dude right above me for instance). I don't really play that game, but the truth of the matter is that they're effective(guys score from there all the time) and if you're to lazy to figure out whats going on it's not the competitors fault, it's your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8v9nZeqco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CrtrrbZEQU

;)

When I get bored watching JiuJits I watch greco or freestyle wrestling

SickJitZ - When I get bored watching JiuJits I watch greco or freestyle wrestling

Did you see the NCAA tournament this year? I sat in awe as just about every match was a nonstop scramble.

^I like the dual meet idea. A submission only event based on a RPW model/stage(national television, ticket sales, etc) would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK_63KNUhyA

the ONLY sub wrestling rules to use were the ones at the Socal ProAm back in 2004. No advantage garbage, first to 12pts or sub. NO MATCH was boring and there was no stalling as people were going for it, why they have not been adopted is mind boggling.

Any footage of said event?

Hunter V - the ONLY sub wrestling rules to use were the ones at the Socal ProAm back in 2004. No advantage garbage, first to 12pts or sub. NO MATCH was boring and there was no stalling as people were going for it, why they have not been adopted is mind boggling.

Wow! Never heard of those rules, they sound really good.

Guard pulling is ridiculious.

HoldYerGround -  Guard pulling is ridiculious.

Why?

dokomoy - 

Why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CrtrrbZEQU

;)

Muffinho - Rafa Mendes submitted everyone at ADCC except Cobrinha (and he was very close to finishing him multiple times). He submitted everyone at Mundials in 2010 except Ryan Hall and Cobrinha. He submitted everyone at Euro. Championships.

The hate he gets because he uses 50/50 against Cobrinha is ridiculous.

yeah no one mentions the fact that hes barely 21 a world champ and has one of the most technical and beautiful games in the world.

the man is special... very special.

dokomoy - 

Why?

Because I don't undestand why giving up the takedown on purpose somehow excuses you from getting scored on. It makes no sense. If I let my opponent take mount should he not be awarded 4 points? The concept is completely ridiculious. 

shen - 
Hunter V - the ONLY sub wrestling rules to use were the ones at the Socal ProAm back in 2004. No advantage garbage, first to 12pts or sub. NO MATCH was boring and there was no stalling as people were going for it, why they have not been adopted is mind boggling.

Wow! Never heard of those rules, they sound really good.

go buy the dvd of the event, best sub wrestling event ever. No match was boring, people were constantly pushing the pace.

HoldYerGround - 
dokomoy - 

Why?

Because I don't undestand why giving up the takedown on purpose somehow excuses you from getting scored on. It makes no sense. If I let my opponent take mount should he not be awarded 4 points? The concept is completely ridiculious. 

Some people wanna be in guard maybe? No one wants to be on bottom of mount. Your logic is flaud.

Why would someone want to assume a defensive position at the outset of a match(neutral positions)?

I don't know what the current point structure is, but the idea that you give up the takedown without incurring a point penalty is bullshit. Like the giving up the mount, is it cool for the opponent to not be rewarded for achieving a superior position?

HoldYerGround -
dokomoy -
HoldYerGround - Guard pulling is ridiculious.

Why?

Being mounted is a terrible position both in jiu jitsu competition, self defense and mma, pulling guard is only bad in the latter two. If you think the primary purpose of jiu jitsu(and even jiu jitsu competition) is to mimic a self defense situation than we can agree to disagree, otherwise it's a dumb comparison.

Missing Glove Tape - Why would someone want to assume a defensive position at the outset of a match(neutral positions)?

I don't know what the current point structure is, but the idea that you give up the takedown without incurring a point penalty is bullshit. Like the giving up the mount, is it cool for the opponent to not be rewarded for achieving a superior position?

Go watch top level guard players and tell me that the guard is a defensive position. If someone ends up in Marcelo Garcia, or Rommulo Barral or Cobrinha's guard then there's a really really good chance that they're going to get swept or submitted.

What difference does it make anyway if I pull guard and sweep you versus if I double leg you? Both end up with me forcing you to your back. When people roll(or compete for that mater) the goal is to control position and eventually secure a submission, and for many people the most efficient way of doing that is pulling guard.

Missing Glove Tape - Why would someone want to assume a defensive position at the outset of a match(neutral positions)?

Guard is a neutral position in BJJ. There are a lot of good submission opportunities as long as you don't get passed.

dokomoy - What difference does it make anyway if I pull guard and sweep you versus if I double leg you? Both end up with me forcing you to your back. When people roll(or compete for that mater) the goal is to control position and eventually secure a submission, and for many people the most efficient way of doing that is pulling guard.

You just answered your own question here:

dokomoy - the goal is to control position

dokomoy - Being mounted is a terrible position both in jiu jitsu competition, self defense and mma, pulling guard is only bad in the latter two.

If we're looking at bjj from a fightng/self-defense perspective, aka its roots, as opposed to sport, then pulling guard, aka butt-flopping, is an inherently defensive position and it's ridiculous to give up a neutral position, aka standing, when you don't have to. Pretty straightforward, even you knew it subconsciously. ;)

Watch TrainJudo's videos if you still have questions.

HoldYerGround - 
dokomoy - 

Why?

Because you get 4 points for secureing the mount or taking the back. Those are the only two positions you get points for.

you get 2 points for taking your opponent down. Not for securing top inside the guard. If the guy pulls guard you didn't take him down. Takedown pooints are awarded for the action. Just like sweeps and guard passes

thebigkahuna -

Because you get 4 points for secureing the mount or taking the back. Those are the only two positions you get points for.

you get 2 points for taking your opponent down. Not for securing top inside the guard. If the guy pulls guard you didn't take him down. Takedown pooints are awarded for the action. Just like sweeps and guard passes

Yeah but if I'm standing in my opponent's guard and then pull guard so he can get on top it counts as 2 points, despite the fact that he didn't actually sweep me.