JKD? Form must follow function

For more of the same as approached through the SBG's Law Enforcement program:

http://www.isrmatrix.org/articles.shtml#

-Luis

www.onedragon.com

www.isrmatrix.org

Good Stuff Matt

No doubt, nobody advocates being on the ground in a streetfight. In fact the very action of a streetfight would indeed be an "emergency". This is as true as it can get.

One of the best threads for a LONG while!

Chuck

Thanks for the good word.

-Matt

We will also be discussing this material in relation to BJJ work at this upcoming March Camp.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

We will be adding this, along with some other new articles on training and JKD, as soon as I return from Europe in a few weeks. IF you would like to be included on our mailing list for updates and newsletters, please drop an e-mail to info@straightblastgym.com

cheers
-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com
"Freedom is Awareness not trapped in attraction or aversion.

"Just because a style practises dead patterns doesn't mean it wasn't effective (still containing effective techniques) once and watered down over the years. There is nothing stopping someone from using the same techniques and sparring after class or with people after the instructor is done teaching. In bjj and tai chi for instance the instructor shows a bunch of techniques and lets the students swallow them for a few days and expects them to experiment and play with each other using the techniques when he feels they are ready he will teach them more. "

that is where u are wrong. I can say from first hand experience in classical styles that their "method" cannot even hold a match to the 3 I method where the person practices repeatedly, realistically against a resisting opponent. The key is isolation and resistance. Its so simple most people miss it (myself included) and as a result their PERFORMANCE is lackluster.

"Quite rare for traditional Martial Arts and the majority of "JKD" schools? YES, absolutely. I would agree with that 100%. Sadly most JKD schools around the world are using an abundance of dead patterns, and training methods that will by design develop habits in athletes that may likely cause them to get hurt when trying their stuff against the pressure of a real attacker. "

LOL -

i wonder if the author has actually stepped foot in a majority of traditional and "JKD" schools in the country to actually be able to make this claim? somehow i seriously doubt it.

Can't speak for the author, but I know I have...and I absolutely agree with him.

Jeff

Gotta agree as well.

"Btw traditional boxing resembles wing chun more than it does modern boxing."

It does bloody well not! I am SO sick of hearing this rubbish.

But then if you look at everything in terms of individual techniques instead of attributes and delivery systems then it isn't surprising that you think this way.

Having done both WC and reconstructed a BKB system from a period manual I can assure you that the only similarity they share is in the use of vertical fists. The stances that look somewhat the same, simply aren't. The BKB systems I have seen (and there are many completely different styles btw) look unsurprisingly more like a cross between fencing (from which it was derived) and modern boxing (which it became) than anything else.
Cheers,
Stu.

"traditional boxing resembles wing chun more than it does modern boxing."

thats a great point - thats actually why a good number of people theorize that wing chun came about as a poor imitation of the boxing done by British sailors in Hong Kong.

of course without the proper training paradigm to make it functional, this simply becomes one of many theorized and unproven forms of "deadly" combat. except of course in anything other than demos and anecdotes where WC is used to fend off multiple. attackers. I believe there are old film clips of Kung fu guys going at it for real and it all just looks like bad and sloppy slap boxing, and then of course there is the fight between 2 of the most prominent WC people in the world (Boztepe v. Cheung) which basically looks like two 3rd graders fighting eachother ....

the blind nun would be proud, indeed!!

"Can't speak for the author, but I know I have...and I absolutely agree with him."

really? ok, name them!

"really? ok, name them!"

what would be the point of that? are you inferring that JRockwell & LEMon are lying or mininformed about their own personal experiences?

I would agree with them as well and i've been around JKDC for a little over 10 years, half of that teaching it professionally. I can understand if you want their claims and beliefs qualified. But that would just mean explaning WHY they think such things and perhaps give firsthand accts/examples of such. which has been done to death already on this and many other forums.

But there is really no need to name NAMES. it seems like a catch-22, you can't be blunt and forthright cuz then you're an assh*le who bad mouths people and doesnt know what he's taking about ... BUT then again you can't keep a cetain level of discretion in order to get your opinions across and not offend to many people - otherwise you get a 3rd grade response like, "really? ok, name them!"

I think you should just accept that certain people will be just as informed and experienced (if not more so in some cases) than yourself in a certain area and will still whole-heartedly disagree with your POV. To try to call out or embarras anyone cuz they don't think the same as you is something i think you should try to move past.

I wrote this article for Siam Combat Magazine. It is a Thai language MA Magazine that emphazises MMA which I fully support.

I should have qualified the statement "and is quite rare today" with in the traditional martial arts community. (As Matt quickly picked up on)

How would I know ? I teach workshops at traditional schools in the U.S and elsewhere. I still have friends and connects to that world. It is where I came from...

The intention of the article was to give my viewpoint and comparison of JKD and MMA as understood by me, "the Author"...

In Thailand where the article was written, for the Thai "traditional MA community" (not Muay Thai), it was a glimpse into JKD and MMA. I posted it here to let people know that I support the MMA movement and that I feel it has evolved in the sense of its striking capabilities.

JKD is about aliveness and that is the way we train it...

Mark Stewart

JKD -

I would call bullshit on anyone who makes such wide assertions as "I've been to every [whatyever] in the country [whereever]"

it's total bullshit. i dont care how many you've been to, 10, 20, (if that many). to make a blanket statement that "ALL" schools do a certain thing is bullshit. they have no first hand knowledge of what "ALL" or " MOST" schools do.

the childish thing to do was to say "i dont know if the author has been to all schools, but i have"

the point of naming all the schools is to prove or disprove the blanket statement that he had in fact been to all schools, and there is qualified to make the blanket statement. otherwise, he should either limit his discussions to the schools he has first hand knowledge of, or shut the fuck up

See everyone....Sretier clearly shows a viewpoint other than that of the SBG.

He states, "I would call bullshit on anyone who makes such wide assertions" clearly displaying his opinion that the totality of such verbalized generalizations can be summed up in the excrement of male cattle.

He further states, "its total bullshit." Here he really defines his stand bringing in a measure of fullness and assurance by voicing the grand totality of all bovine excrement.

And to close he adds, "or shut the fuck up" which drives home his entire thesis on his voice being the one civilized and unattached intellect able to speak and silence the evil and invested said excrement of its vulgar declarations.

Bravo!

-Luis

www.onedragon.com

i never said mine was THE lone voice. I mearly submit that anyone who makes ultimate claims of being all knowing should do the world a favor and shut the fuck up.

luis, I like and respect you. however, it is my observation that the sbg guys have bullied their way into taking over the forum, and i wont be bullied. anyone who has a different opinion than a sbg guy is bullied around. and all the other sbg guys e-mail each other and all jump on the board and try to stiffle anyone who does agree with the company line.

i know this because a highly respected insider told me so, directly to my face.

do you think the aurthor and several others actually visited all the jkd schools to have first hand knowledge of exactly what they are teaching?

"however, it is my observation that the sbg guys have bullied their way into taking over the forum, and i wont be bullied. anyone who has a different opinion than a sbg guy is bullied around. and all the other sbg guys e-mail each other and all jump on the board and try to stiffle anyone who does agree with the company line.

i know this because a highly respected insider told me so, directly to my face. do you think the aurthor and several others actually visited all the jkd schools to have first hand knowledge of exactly what they are teaching?"

If this is true, that's messed up.